Today is the last day Steam will run on Windows XP/Vista

Author Topic: Today is the last day Steam will run on Windows XP/Vista  (Read 2359 times)

that titanic music my heart will go  on

Maybe because both are deprecated OSes that bog down the code of the application? Supporting an OS isnt as easy as "drop it right in there", you have to make code for it. Windows XP does not even support OpenGL anymore.

the real question who tf used vista after windows 7 came out lol

idk why this is such a big deal. i thought winxp was already widely known to be a super outdated os when support ended for it

I thought a lot of people still used XP because it was more stable and less bloated than OSes like Vista and 7

This will have a very small effect:

Quote from: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
Windows 96.00% -0.44%
Windows 10 64 bit 63.50% +2.26%
Windows 7 64 bit 26.52% -3.09%
Windows 8.1 64 bit 3.60% +0.29%
Windows 7 1.55% +0.07%
Windows 8 64 bit 0.31% +0.02%
Windows 10 0.26% +0.01%
Windows XP 32 bit 0.11% -0.01%
Windows 8.1 0.06% +0.01%

Literally 1 in a thousand users use XP, and Vista isn't even on this list. It's surprising they were even supported up to this point.

i'm not exactly surprised about xp losing support either, it's a really old OS at this point and steam supporting it for almost 5 years after microsoft dropped official support for it is something to be commended. still blows for a guy like me because i would run old games on xp machines via steam for the hell of it (and it's an oof right in the nostalgia), but at the same time it totally makes sense for them to drop support.

My loving windows xp laptop takes like loving 10 minutes to boot up and it takes 5 minutes just to launch steam.

My loving windows xp laptop takes like loving 10 minutes to boot up and it takes 5 minutes just to launch steam.

you need a new laptop

yall mind if i hijack this thread to ask why do people barely use windows 8.1? with classic shell it's pretty much windows 7 but less clunky and with a more modern UI.
windows 10 would have been better if it didn't have these stuffty design decisions

WHAT ABOUT WINDOWS ME