Author Topic: paintfx trick  (Read 2557 times)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this little building tutorial but I guess I'll find out.

There is a little trick to get a brick to turn its rendering off without the light source being effected, I've noticed that a lot of people actually don't know about this trick so I figured I'd post it.

Many people know that if you turn off rendering on a brick the light source on the brick will disappear with it, as previewed;

So people usually just give it the fully transparent color, which worked before shaders but now you can see them somewhat easily;
(usually even easier then the previews if you use different skybox lighting but I was on DragonoidSlayers Steampunk and couldn't change it.)

So if you just do one more step and give that brick an fx after you give it the completely transparent color it should totally turn its rendering off without effecting the light source as previewed;

Doing it this way completely makes sure that players will not see the brick that's emitting light, which is great for dynamic lighting.
Feel free to keep doing this your own way, I just thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:31:08 AM by RallyBlock »

had no clue that was a thing, thanks

when i discovered this trick like a week ago i was like what the actual forget

cause ive always been annoyed by how hard it is to find fully transparent bricks, + the reflective texture off the top of textured bricks bothered me

wasn't there a post on here a reaaally long time ago that demonstrated reflective surfaces without using any reshade presets? like they actually managed to pull it off. It was weird. I was reminded of it because of this post.

maybe its in the enhanced graphical screenshots megathread?

you can modify the brick textures like brickSide to have a more shiny appearance, maybe that's what you saw.

wasn't there a post on here a reaaally long time ago that demonstrated reflective surfaces without using any reshade presets? like they actually managed to pull it off. It was weird. I was reminded of it because of this post.
You mean when a build uses a transparent floor and rebuilds the interior under that floor, but upside down?

kobe taught me this trick several years ago i figured it was something everyone knew

me and ant are laughing in *late* right now

but no seriously this stuff is amazing for lighting

know since years but this might help some ppl, nice

Wow thanks this is perfect

what? i thought this was common knowledge