blf suggest good laptops to me pls

Author Topic: blf suggest good laptops to me pls  (Read 2517 times)

I need a new laptop since my 8-10 yr old acer laptop isn't feeling so good (and is so horrifically outdated that it's gfx card doesn't even support dx11).

I need something decently high-end since I need it to run game engine editors(particualry Unreal) on high and also just for running games in general tbh. Would also be nice to have something that can run VR (Vive or Vive Pro) once I have the spare cash for that too.
My budget is $1k to $1.5k or so.

I originally bought this thing, but it came out of the box with a defective PCI express system, so I returned it. Something of similar performance would be preferable.

Also I need a laptop and not a PC (yet) because I need to be able to take it places
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:10:05 PM by ArmyUnit »

I wouldn't get any laptop with a 1060 in it. You will only have around a 3 hour battery life off the charger and it will be throttled so you cant even use it to its fullest potential on the go. If you had to get a laptop specifically I would go for a razer blade 15 at least so you get a quality frame and a small size. I bought one similar to the one you got and while it was powerful on the charger, it was too heavy and the battery just could not keep up with the requirements of the 1060, so i ended up returning it.

EDIT: also, this laptop is $300 cheaper and it is almost the exact same except the i7-8750H is only around 10% better.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:11:50 PM by Waru »

True that, but I almost always have my laptop plugged in anyways, so I don't think that will be an issue for me.

True that, but I almost always have my laptop plugged in anyways, so I don't think that will be an issue for me.
Then I recommend the razer blade 15 in the previous post if you can shell out the extra $100. The extra money in the build quality goes a long way.
If you have it plugged in all the time, why not build a desktop or even spend $1000 on a desktop for the heavy work and then throw $500 into a nice lightweight laptop? (you wont be able to do any heavy lifting off the charger anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d00AhMwy71o

i use this for school/work i really recommend it
YT review because i cant find a shop link not linked to my country

Then I recommend the razer blade 15 in the previous post if you can shell out the extra $100. The extra money in the build quality goes a long way.
If you have it plugged in all the time, why not build a desktop or even spend $1000 on a desktop for the heavy work and then throw $500 into a nice lightweight laptop? (you wont be able to do any heavy lifting off the charger anyway)

Because the nature of my job allows me to work on my laptop for decently long periods of time :P
I generally can't spend too much time at home to work on my game projects, so I want a laptop that can handle that.
Also, I'm going to be moving in a few months, and I'd rather wait on getting a PC until after that.

The price on the razer blade 15 is a little steep for me (I'd rather spend closer to $1k than $1.5k), but it does look very impressive and should cover everything I need, so I'll consider it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d00AhMwy71o

i use this for school/work i really recommend it
YT review because i cant find a shop link not linked to my country

Thanks I'll check it out. Although I've heard bad things about HP laptops breaking down early. I'll check it out anyway though

Instead of buying a comp, why don't you use that money to buy a used car from the eighties?

One thing I can say that may sway your decision is that I work in a computer retailer store. We seem to get A LOT of returns on the Dell G7 line up due to overheating and poor thermal management designs.

Ah that's very good to know, thanks.
I'm leaning toward the ASUS at the moment, but I don't mind more suggestions.

[img ]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/4a/97/824a977b3710333e74521af310b31214.jpg[/img]

Dude that's waaaay out of my budget
I wouldn't even know what to do with a computer that powerful

apple mac laptop

At some point I'll probably be getting an Apple, but I need a windows computer for now