a discussion about reddit and outrage culture

Author Topic: a discussion about reddit and outrage culture  (Read 3190 times)

ive been on reddit for about 7 years now, and roughly around 2016 (stressing that this isnt about politics, reddit and politics is a whole different and more frustrating topic but at least its blockable) i seemed to have noticed a trend in outrage culture. Tons of subreddits about people making fun of people, people hating other people, people wishing death upon other people. Mentally ill people, poor people, differently cultured people, a lot of them are victim to this. Let me mention quickly I used to reddit for the stories on NoSleep or LetsNotMeet or AskReddit, but those have deteriorated heavily maybe because of the same reasons or maybe because i grew up. These days I use it for gaming subreddits, but even there outrage culture is so prevalent it completely ruins the experience or value of discussion. In a million places there is only one opinion accepted and it is what the 'echo chamber' or 'hive-mind' of the subreddit thinks. the rule of only downvoting irrelevant discussion is the most disrespected rule i have seen on any social media to the point where it actually isnt really a rule at all.
maybe its because my blocklist looks like this so all the filler bullstuff repost funny images arent in my feed and instead i get users who, because they can yell really loudly and get upvoted for it, believe their opinion holds enough merit that they can be incredibly whiny and are 101% in the right. or subreddits that are like i said completely based on People shaming/bullying/harassing People. There may be anti-witchhunting rules but how well does that work and even then the whole concept behind it is terrible and a creepy example of an audience that really wants to be judge jury and executioner

so many posts on reddit are outrage and posts that try really hard to make you mad and succeed at it plenty for the general Reddit audience, and im not even talking about the comment section yet, in there you will find So Many People being 20x worse than the original post was. It reminds me of that study that proved anger is the best emotion to spread an idea with. WHat do you think, have you had the same experience?

edit: im going to post some threads that give examples or discuss this as i find them,
here is one about /r/games, a subreddit i used to prefer for its discussion based style https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/b0naye/so_this_subreddit_allows_20_separate_threads_for/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:25:54 AM by sleep »

i can't stand using reddit. 90% of the posts you'll make will just get unacknowledged.  forum based websites are so much better but everyone insists on using reddit because its convenient. reddit is just a hivemind of garbage. i honestly wish it would just shut down forever.

yikes i thought they were cracking down on those kinda subreddits but i guess not??
i haven't rly noticed any of that stuff tho but that's probably cus i just don't go to those ones lol

yikes i thought they were cracking down on those kinda subreddits but i guess not??
i haven't rly noticed any of that stuff tho but that's probably cus i just don't go to those ones lol
they only really bothered with fatpeopleshaming or creepshots. the harrass subreddits alternate between actual stuff people and poor/mentally instable/differently cultured people so its harder to be like fatpeopleshaming that more commonly than not was harassing/bullying.

its also not a matter of going to the subreddits. i dont go there either, but i do browse /r/all and /r/popular. blocking the harass subreddits fixes only half of what this thread is about, because you can find the

These days I use it for gaming subreddits, but even there outrage culture is so prevalent it completely ruins the experience or value of discussion. In a million places there is only one opinion accepted and it is what the 'echo chamber' or 'hive-mind' of the subreddit thinks. the rule of only downvoting irrelevant discussion is the most disrespected rule i have seen on any social media to the point where it actually isnt really a rule at all.
i get users who, because they can yell really loudly and get upvoted for it, believe their opinion holds enough merit that they can be incredibly whiny and are 101% in the right.
on videogame subreddits, a good example is /r/leagueoflegends, that place accepts only 1 opinion
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:54:15 AM by sleep »

they only really bothered with fatpeopleshaming or creepshots. the harrass subreddits alternate between actual stuff people and poor/mentally instable/differently cultured people so its harder to be like fatpeopleshaming that more commonly than not was harassing/bullying.

its also not a matter of going to the subreddits. i dont go there either, but i do browse /r/all and /r/popular.
o
blocking the harass subreddits fixes only half of what this thread is about, because you can find the
on videogame subreddits, a good example is /r/leagueoflegends, that place accepts only 1 opinion
oh ya that stuff is pretty annoying to see happen, altho i don't really see it happen too often either. usually the downvoted stuff i find are like actually bad stuff and not just the "wrong" opinion but there are certainly exceptions that are dumb

Outrage culture isn't exclusive to reddit, it's just that the platform supports it, and I'd argue encourages the behavior. Comment sections and content control are based on upvote retention, and thus are controlled by mob mentality.

I've always hated using reddit, and I wish the content flow of the internet largely ignored the platform.

Reddit was stuff 7 years ago and it's stuff now

depends on the subreddits like i said in OP, story writing subreddits were pretty golden back then, but like i said again, it might just be me getting older and having a higher standard for writing

tbh only reason i browse r/leagueoflegends is for the hot takes - i use the outrage as a way to get the most relevant info quickly by seeing what they’re outraged about, taking a look myself, and ignoring their opinion about it

r/The_Donald is pretty good, tbh.

Solution No. 1:
  Don't use Reddit.

Reddit has gotten way too big that if you try to search for a solution to a problem there's a big chance that Reddit will be the first result.

The default subs are entirely stuff and the only good thing it has is research and whatever hobby you like. (Except gaming, most of the gaming subs are stuff)