Poll

Are you?

Yes
5 (26.3%)
I am the magical chromosome genie, 43 end me.
5 (26.3%)
No
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Why u shuld all installation Linix rn, tbh  (Read 5264 times)

i really don't understand linux's purpose on this planet. its basically an incomplete operating system that everyone flocks to for some random ass reason. the entire operating system is one big low level console that 90% of linux users have no idea how to operate anyways but the 10% take the liberty to design higher level interfaces for the other 90% that think they're smart or something but are just incredibly loving dumb. the saddest part is that that 10% are hobbyist programmers which means they're almost guaranteed to have some form of autism or ADD and be a huge unironic nerd which is why every linux mod looks like some hacker paradise.

I dont understand it. Just use windows or apple, like it does literally everything faster and supports more stuff. The linux end user isn't some top hackerman, they're just skiddies who want to pretend like they are and install their hyper aesthetic slick ui

like what the forget is this?

how much of this information is important to anyone? how many memory leaks are you battling on your day to day exploration of linux?
thats really all there is to it. im gonna create my own distro called Cactius and all the window uis are going to be transparent and use courier for all text on every window and the wallpaper is going to be a low-poly cactus in a low poly desert rendered in blender in 10 minutes and embedded in the sand there's gonna be meters that show your blood sugar level and a radial dial that controls your AC in the bedroom. And then i'll get a million loving downloads because linux users are loving hacks with no purpose in life

if you use linux forget you and your family that probably treats you like an outcast

Nal just messaged me to tell you that your hair doesn't do a good job at covering your lobotomy scars.

in what ways are the workflows different in linux than apple or windows? if you use exclusively like java or C# or lua then how is it better or worse
At least for windows, terminal sucks to use. In any decent file manager you can just right click a directory to open a terminal at that location, which is invaluable for getting into your project directory and running the tools you want on the files, running your lua interpreter, etc. To do that on windows you have to register a new context menu entry, and then to have any ease using your tools you have to add them to your path which to edit you have to find a really stupidly obscure settings window.

Nal just messaged me to tell you that your hair doesn't do a good job at covering your lobotomy scars.
they're battle scars from fighting against knowledge CIA

literally 80% of the development I do can't be done on windows without massive workarounds or handicapped patches

windows is just purely garbage for anything development wise, this is why most programmers use some kind of unix based OS, mac or a linux distro

phantos seems to have 2 braincells so i dont think he will ever run into any use cases for linux at all

is there something i'm not getting? i've programmed in C# and Java and i've never ever been limited by my operating system in any way. Mac, windows and linux all have command line ways to interface and run things like java methods and programs if you reference the correct development kit. what the hell are you guys even doing that could possibly be limited by your OS when virtually every programming language runs on its own compiler or virtual machine?

What kind of programming are we talking about? What kind of development are we talking about? are you forgeters writing in bytecode or assembly? Unless you handicaps are writing code that is constantly interfacing with servers then im not buying it
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:54:02 PM by PhantOS »

is there something i'm not getting? i've programmed in C# and Java and i've never ever been limited by my operating system in any way. Mac, windows and linux all have command line ways to interface and run things like java methods and programs if you reference the correct development kit. what the hell are you guys even doing that could possibly be limited by your OS when virtually every programming language runs on its own compiler or virtual machine?
Windows is okay for Windows development. Cross-platform development on Windows is legitimately terrible.

Windows is okay for Windows development. Cross-platform development on Windows is legitimately terrible.
Developing a windows application on a Mac is just as hard as developing a mac application on windows. Cross platform development on all platforms is hard except between Mac and Linux because they both run on Unix. Nobody writes cross platform code, they use cross-platform libraries that automatically handle all the platform specific bullstuff for them. Writing a mac application on windows is virtually the same as writing a windows application on mac; both have their own compiler for whatever language you're using and write their own platform specific binaries
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:59:47 PM by PhantOS »

Developing a windows application on a Mac is just as hard as developing a mac application on windows. Cross platform development on all platforms is hard except between Mac and Linux because they both run on Unix. Nobody writes cross platform code, they use cross-platform libraries that automatically handle all the platform specific bullstuff for them.
Or they use pre-compiler switches.

You're not entirely wrong, but a large portion of existing network infrastructure is built on Linux. Development for that infrastructure is best done native. Then is ported to other systems later.

What kind of programming are we talking about? What kind of development are we talking about? are you forgeters writing in bytecode or assembly? Unless you handicaps are writing code that is constantly interfacing with servers then im not buying it
bash is garbage on windows
vim is garbage on windows
powershell is disgusting
visual studio gives me brain cancer
C# is windows specific

not to mention the file system format is loving stupid, the line endings are non standard, windows is not POSIX compliant, loving around with your environment variables is hard. since bash is really hard to use on windows, that takes away a stuff ton of utilities that are handy like makefiles, dd, and literally every single command line tool ever.

theres a stuff ton of software that is RIDICULOUSLY hard to install on windows cuz you have to do a bunch of hacky stuff to get it working, whereas on linux you have a handy package manager to install everything

like I could go on and on and on but seriously phantos, don't say you do enough dev when the only experience you have is literally two languages that where practically made to be developed on windows

imagine not using temple os  like a true  son of god

C# is windows specific
man i am actually gonna slap you for this post. what about c# is windows only? even .net is cross platform since microsoft officially sponsors mono

bash is garbage on windows
vim is garbage on windows
powershell is disgusting
C# is windows specific

not to mention the file system format is loving stupid, the line endings are non standard, windows is not POSIX compliant, loving around with your environment variables is hard. since bash is really hard to use on windows, that takes away a stuff ton of utilities that are handy like makefiles, dd, and literally every single command line tool ever.

theres a stuff ton of software that is RIDICULOUSLY hard to install on windows cuz you have to do a bunch of hacky stuff to get it working, whereas on linux you have a handy package manager to install everything

like I could go on and on and on but seriously phantos, don't say you do enough dev when the only experience you have is literally two languages that where practically made to be developed on windows
but waht the forget do you even work with that requires this level of tweaking? how hard is it to just move all the required libraries into the same directory as your executable when you package it? how hard is it to just copy and duplicate files manually? when do you actually need environment variables? all of these things you're mentioning are basically just unix debugging commands which have no place in redistributed executables in the first place unless you're designing specifically for linux

you make it sound like windows is missing all these important ass features but in reality none of these features are even relevant to windows in general. software is hard to install on windows because you're loving installing linux software that uses linux's package managing systems, not windows software that uses windows' installer binaries which work loving perfectly already

like on loving god who even uses windows cmd? who even uses apple's unix terminal? there's absolutely no need to because the user end has already been handled by the developers. you don't need a command to create a folder or generate files when windows AND apple both have the ability to right click anywhere on the screen and create these things. You don't need to create a whole army of automated duplicate files or some dumb global variables to use with your hacky command line interface program because that's just bad loving design in the first place. If you need low level commands in the first place it either means you're developing solely for your platform and need to debug low level stuff or your platform is poorly designed and doesn't offer the bare necessity of proper user interface
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:26:43 PM by PhantOS »

but waht the forget do you even work with that requires this level of tweaking? how hard is it to just move all the required libraries into the same directory as your executable when you package it? how hard is it to just copy and duplicate files manually? when do you actually need environment variables? all of these things you're mentioning are basically just unix debugging commands which have no place in redistributed executables in the first place unless you're designing specifically for linux

you make it sound like windows is missing all these important ass features but in reality none of these features are even relevant to windows in general. software is hard to install on windows because you're loving installing linux software that uses linux's package managing systems, not windows software that uses windows' installer binaries which work loving perfectly already
this has to be the most handicapped thing you've ever posted im sorry
man i am actually gonna slap you for this post. what about c# is windows only? even .net is cross platform since microsoft officially sponsors mono
and this has to be a joke

and this has to be a joke
Did you actually just take one peek at visual studio and dismiss it instantaneously?

https://code.visualstudio.com/

this has to be the most handicapped thing you've ever posted
WHAT DO YOU USE LINUX FOR