Crown's jailbreak - whats the appeal?

Author Topic: Crown's jailbreak - whats the appeal?  (Read 4504 times)

it's been popping up every once in a while and its always been incredibly popular. whenever i used to host in the past people would often ask when jailbreak will be up next and usually whenever it'd come up around peak hours my server would lose most of its players. The people that flock there are really part of this same group of people- usually new, young and generally uninteresting players.

Every time i join jailbreak i'm instantly bored, confused and angry at its popularity. The way I see the gameloop right now is that you spend 8 minutes of your life in total submission to a random player you don't know who defines a set of arbitrary rules as soon as the round begins and continues to order everyone to do stuff lest they be killed. There's no real meta or dominant strategy besides doing exactly what the warden says as fast as possible. You can try escaping but you're entirely outgunned and disadvantaged maybe 1:5 at all times and throughout the game you have no potential to improve your victory chances at all. In fact, as the game goes on, your victory chances actually decrease as more and more players on your team are killed. So there's absolutely no progression in the game loop whatsoever. You don't correct missing assets that give you any benefit. You don't strategically damage the guard's chances of success.

Losing doesn't feel like it has any drastic consequences at all. There's this sort of indifference about winning and losing because if you lose, like, say the warden says 'jump' but not 'simon says' and you jump and get killed, its not like the gameplay was worth staying alive for. If you had done it correctly, your reward for surviving would be to spend another 6 minutes playing bitch for the warden until you forget up and die again or win. You have absolutely no impact on the game world when alive and similarly have no impact when you're dead at all. Winning just grants you imaginary currency to spend on cosmetics or something and if there weren't any cosmetics in the game then there would be no visible or implied reward for any rounds won. Because its not like anything you did was challenging- you were just following instructions for 8 minutes.

Wardens are something. They're apparently like, people who managed to sink more than 30 minutes into this awful server and were rewarded with the power to tell everyone to do. I guess that's like the only rewarding thing from this game? if you stay around long enough you get to live out your much needed power fantasy? Anyways they tell you to do stuff that has no impact on the game at all. The first minute of the game is probably the worst period of time in the whole game loop- the warden makes you do an arbitrary song and dance within the confines of your cell where you're absolutely not at all a threat to anyone. stuff like 'lay on bed or ar' 'afk freeze or ar' 'right foot yellow or ar' like are you serious? Is this fun?

I can't see any fun in this server whatsoever. I don't know if there's some hidden mechanic that redeems the game in some way. I can't figure it out. I would appreciate if someone were to describe what they enjoy about the server (hopefully someone that isn't a guard/warden 90% of the time) because i struggle to see it and it pisses me off why it has all the players. I would ideally like it if an admin on crown's server explained the appeal of it to me because i trust their opinions more. People like dannu, visolator, redconer, crown even. etc.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:30:18 PM by PhantOS »

Yeah man, It's awful. I get bored playing it too. And the entire point of it isn't even to escape the prison, it's basically a prison guard survival game. I'm surprised there's actually somebody else out there that doesn't like it lol. I always enjoyed Tezuni's more. (unpopular opinion)

I'm not even sure if you can escape the prison or not though.

what did you expect from a jailbreak gamemode

I'm usually moderating the server which can be entertaining. I am not a guard or warden much but usually I try to mess with the warden and guards to see if I can escape. I try to escape and then riot entirely. Guards usually amuse me long as they don't break anything. That's usually what keeps me on here more.

you said it yourself though, you dont find basic mechanics fun after understanding how they work. this isnt the first time you’ve expressed disinterest at jailbreaks. on top of that you underestimate people’s desire to have power trips, which this server enables

theres no reason to be angry or confused about people enjoying something you dont enjoy. people of different ages and interests exist.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:14:24 PM by Conan »

Whatever floats their boats I guess.

you said it yourself though, you dont find basic mechanics fun after understanding how they work. this isnt the first time you’ve expressed disinterest at jailbreaks. on top of that you underestimate people’s desire to have power trips, which this server enables

theres no reason to be angry or confused about people enjoying something you dont enjoy. people of different ages and interests exist.
i just wish people would enjoy my server more. i guess the mechanics are too complex

I can’t play the server for more than half a round without there being people on it that I enjoy chatting with. gameplays pretty good and you can tell a lot’s been put into it dev-wise but it’s in desperate need of a revamp tbh
it’s the people that make it good not the game—same goes for p much any server lol

When I was on jailbreak most recently I found myself thinking that the game feels more like being in a hostage situation than breaking out of jail. You're unarmed, there's always a gun on you and you're constantly on the lookout for your opening to fight back. I kind of wish the maps would be rebranded/redesigned with that in mind since there are only so many different creative ways you can build a prison but if it dropped the "jailbreak" name it could take place just about anywhere. Especially since in most of the maps actually breaking out isn't possible anyway.

But I think that's where the appeal comes from, at least for me. For the warden it is a power fantasy and for the prisoners it's a rebellion fantasy. Following the warden's orders isn't fun. What is fun is when 20 prisoners all simultaneously rush off the line and scatter and the guards become helplessly overwhelmed. It's fun when the warden forgets up and someone closes a door or something and suddenly they've totally lost control. It's fun when no one noticed you slide around a corner while marching through the hallway and now you're sniping the warden from a vantage point while he's leading everyone else in one of his games.

What I don't understand is people who play this game and never try to rebel. There are always those few people who will faithfully stay on the line awaiting orders even when no one knows where the warden is and the entire prisoner population has a rifle. There are always rounds where like 1-3 people will try to run off or stab a guard or organize a riot but no one wants to participate so it fails miserably. These things frustrate me to no end. Why do you want to stand on a line and play simon says? Why do you want to be a good boy and snitch on the guy who broke afk freeze?

Following the warden's orders isn't fun. That's why rioting and shooting the warden is fun. It appeals to this part of my brain that wants to be a little stuff and break rules.

dr block thats an incredibly astute observation and i really hope theres some sort of “jailbreak” server which takes the hostage situation approach, cause that would make for a lot more interesting ideas

eg: escape the robbers, and stop them from completing the bank robbery as easily (call the cops which spanws hostile bots sniping them from outside, trip the alarm to delay them opening the safe, find a weapon and try to kill them, etc)

hell i wanna make that server right now, but people will be sad if i kill farming right now

hell i wanna make that server right now, but people will be sad if i kill farming right now
DO IT YOU WON'T!!!

The whole appeal is to play for long enough until you can become warden and then order other people around. Thats what keeps people playing.

most people seem to treat it like “theres nothin better on tv i guess i’ll just watch this mediocre show”

i only play if people like dry and geben are on otherwise i cant bear playin virtual simon says with a gun pointed at my head at all times with my hands in my ass and told to try and escape