Outerworlds to be 1 year Epic Store exclusive

Author Topic: Outerworlds to be 1 year Epic Store exclusive  (Read 2446 times)

< people getting mad epic games is trying to make money

its pretty obvious epic games is putting up a big fight in trying to muscle in on steam territory. dunno whats there to be mad about, this might actually make steam pick up their pace and try to be competitive for once (ex: fix longstanding qol/usability/optimization issues with steam, better content policing and sales, etc)

gamers benefit from this competition and fighting long run, cause it'll make these platforms offer better sale cuts/funding opportunities for exclusive rights to game dev studios, in an attempt to attract developers to their platform. this means devs have more money to work with and make better games. the worst case scenario where steam dies is if steam gets complacent like blackberry did to apple and ignores the competition.
except that epic isn't actually competing by having a better service (which i would be fine with), they're simply using forced exclusivity where they bribe developers to force games onto their platform. epic itself has several issues, with complaints lodged against it's issues with payments, crappy support system, severe lack of features in comparison to steam, etc. epic, being a multi billion dollar company, should have the resources to fix these issues. in addition, it is a slap in the face that games are being advertised as being available on steam and then suddenly some time later they go "YEET" and force the game to be epic exclusive, delaying the steam release for over a year.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:07:42 PM by Mr Queeba »

Also comparing market cornering to QOL issues is a horrible comparison. Steam isn't perfect sure but what problems are there really? I haven't had any major problems, and sure while any problems fixed are welcome, making their problems comparable is essentially saying "Steam has problems, and Epic doesn't have any." When the whole argument and anger has been Epic being a problem itself rather than a feature it has or lack thereof.

forced exclusivity and bigger cut of sales to studios is still more money going to developers tho, regardless of how heavy handed the tactic is. its kinda dirty but its not as unethical as people seem to make it out to be. no matter how heavy handed the tactics are, if epic games' launcher is garbage, people will leave after some time or bypass using the launcher (eg externally launching the games and only using the launcher to download it). these exclusivity things arent permanent either, as apparent when devs promise to release on steam a year later (probably after their exclusivity contract with epic is up)

i believe in the invisible gamer hand of the gamer market in determining if epic will survive after it stops doing these forced draws to their platform. they cant do this forever (as its not very profitable to give away money and also promise a bigger cut than steam) and savvy devs will demand larger payouts to be exclusive going forward, due to all of the negative media attention surrounding exclusivity announcements

forced exclusivity and bigger cut of sales to studios is still more money going to developers tho, regardless of how heavy handed the tactic is. its kinda dirty but its not as unethical as people seem to make it out to be. no matter how heavy handed the tactics are, if epic games' launcher is garbage, people will leave after some time or bypass using the launcher (eg externally launching the games and only using the launcher to download it). these exclusivity things arent permanent either, as apparent when devs promise to release on steam a year later (probably after their exclusivity contract with epic is up)

i believe in the invisible gamer hand of the gamer market in determining if epic will survive after it stops doing these forced draws to their platform. they cant do this forever (as its not very profitable to give away money and also promise a bigger cut than steam) and savvy devs will demand larger payouts to be exclusive going forward, due to all of the negative media attention surrounding exclusivity announcements
It actually is unethical. It's lying. Lying is unethical. All games that are exclusive right now were shown and promised on other platforms.

I can't say I believe in this invisible gamer hand, because looking at triple-A titles coming out that are absolute trash and seeing the reaction towards them, but I hope you're right.

they are coming to other platforms, saying that theyre lying is an incredible exaggeration
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:35:20 AM by PhantOS »

they really need to get a better name for their store

they are coming to other platforms, saying that theyre lying is an incredible exaggeration
In a years time. When promised immediate release on said platforms. How is that not lying? You could call it "stretching the truth" but when it boils down to it that's just lying lol.

They literally said upon release?

They literally said upon release?

You can say this doesn't mean "upon release" but why the forget would it be on there then?

And Exodus is already on the Steam page so yeah, upon release.

You can say this doesn't mean "upon release" but why the forget would it be on there then?

And Exodus is already on the Steam page so yeah, upon release.
usually day one releases are volatile and if they say it'll be on Xbox and steam it could easily release earlier on one platform. Unless they verbally promised it would be released on all those platforms upon release then uh they aren't actually lying

Ftl was promised to have an iOS version and they weren't lying. They released the iOS version. It was two years after the PC release but they were good on their promise and nobody complained

usually day one releases are volatile and if they say it'll be on Xbox and steam it could easily release earlier on one platform. Unless they verbally promised it would be released on all those platforms upon release then uh they aren't actually lying
Why does it matter if it's verbal or not? Is this a promise? It looks like one to me. Or should I call it false-advertising? That seems synonymous with lying. I understand that it'll come to Steam later, but it should've started with Epic Games in mind first, not Steam and other platforms.

Ftl was promised to have an iOS version and they weren't lying. They released the iOS version. It was two years after the PC release but they were good on their promise and nobody complained
Yeah and GTA5 released on PC almost two years after console release. The advertisements for these games were for Steam and other platforms, not exclusively for Epic. It How is that not lying? Honestly I don't understand how you can't call that lying or anything alike.

It says in plain text on the trailer it's going to be on Steam, and now it is not coming to Steam. This is called lying and is definitely breaking a promise.

when the outer worlds comes out and then it sucks big balls you people will be like "haha forget epic grames store lol :)"

It says in plain text on the trailer it's going to be on Steam, and now it is not coming to Steam. This is called lying and is definitely breaking a promise.
it is coming to steam though