Borderlands 3 to be an epic store exclusive

Author Topic: Borderlands 3 to be an epic store exclusive  (Read 3707 times)

yet you let them
Did I? Last time I checked I didn't install the Epic game launcher.

Did I? Last time I checked I didn't install the Epic game launcher.
I assume you have steam installed. As I said before steam stores the same amount of personal information as epic store and if you don't believe me you can check both of their privacy policies and compare them. You'd actually be surprised to learn that steam stores more information than epic games
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:40:52 PM by PhantOS »

ok so i'm being handicapped and i have no idea what i was trying to prove here so i'm just gonna stop before it gets any worse

If steam notices that epic games store is a serious threat to their Monopoly as the only reliable gaming platform they'll have to change their developer services and standards in order to compete. Right now steam is entirely complacent in the lack of quality of their launches and revenue splits (look at daily launches) and epic has a chance to completely force steam to readjust their methods in order to better suit everyone

The best case scenario epic becomes a valid competitor and steam improves to match the competition, giving better game vetting and revenue splits which will increase the incentive to make new games. Worst case scenario steam fails to keep up and gets killed by epic games, the currently superior game platform. Either way both developers and gamers win.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:19:01 PM by PhantOS »

Someone's literally got their nose up epic's ass. To each their own, but holy forget.

Someone's literally got their nose up epic's ass. To each their own, but holy forget.
as opposed to having your nose up steam's ass to the point that you refuse to buy a game because it's not on steam? lol. To each their own, but holy forget.

why should i vocally support steam over epic? what incentive is there to defend a visibly inferior platform? i like epic because when i buy a game on there the creators who worked for years on their game get 88% of my money, not 70%. thats thousands of extra dollars they get to put towards making their next game project a quality product. i see no reason to buy on steam when epic is objectively better for developers. they're the ones who are actually doing the real work here, spending over 10,000 hours working on providing a service i only have to pay for with 2 hours of work. if i have the chance to give them more money without actually having to pay extra, i'll loving take it

every single 'forget epic' person on this planet is basically either a libertarian privacy nut who runs a vpn 24/7 or a consumerist starfish who only cares about games if they're more than 80% off on sale. they just want this whole marketplace tailored to their needs without any thought about the providers welfare or say
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:01:25 PM by PhantOS »

You're actually the 1%. While everyone else is fine with their data and stuff being sold (i mean who isn't at this point), actively taking up proverbial arms against a free market tyrant because you think the profit split is unfair is...radical. I don't condone the data stuff, i don't condone shady practices, but i'm fine with having once centralized source of media. I'm fine with having a monopoly because it's a commodity. It's centralized, it's convenient. We're not charged extra for games, refunds still exist, and we're free to choose what we play and who we play it with.

Under no circumstances am i about to install 4/5 other launchers to play games when i can play virtually all of them through steam, both officially inhouse and through 3rd party plugins/applications that allow me to access that content through steam, and organize it within the library.

Also the profit split margin "make vs. break" ratio is negligible, in that, the potential profits of steam are higher in some cases than the epic/origin/discord fiasco on the fact that steam is widely known and is still viewed more than all other game media platforms combined. They're losing more money from exposure, or the lack thereof. And no one is forcing producers, publishers, or indie startups to put their products on steam, because they know about the split, they're aware and they're accepting of that. In their world, in order to break even from thousands of hours of development, in order to make a sale, you need one thing. Viewership.

Exposure is everything, marketing is everything. Publicity, views, capital. THAT matters. Putting a game on the epic store is the equivalent of starting your expensive law firm in the Alaskan wilderness.

I don't mean to bash epic, because i want to see them force steam to step out of their comfort bubble, but at the same time i'm a neat person and like all of my media organised in a concise and clear fashion. There can't be order when there are ten or more so media platforms that all take up space and all conveniently claim to do everything else the competitors do, but "better".

The amount of backlash 2K is about to get for this might actually get them to put the game on steam once it's official. absolutely unacceptable.

If steam notices that epic games store is a serious threat to their Monopoly as the only reliable gaming platform they'll have to change their developer services and standards in order to compete. Right now steam is entirely complacent in the lack of quality of their launches and revenue splits (look at daily launches) and epic has a chance to completely force steam to readjust their methods in order to better suit everyone

The best case scenario epic becomes a valid competitor and steam improves to match the competition, giving better game vetting and revenue splits which will increase the incentive to make new games. Worst case scenario steam fails to keep up and gets killed by epic games, the currently superior game platform. Either way both developers and gamers win.
Epic games is close to the level of EA in my book, and if you think that EGS/EGL is the superior platform you're so stupid it's not even worth having an argument. That's a master matthew political thread level of bad take. Steam has its issues but compared to EGS/EGL? not even loving comparable.

Haha april fooled. Absolute weiners.

You're actually the 1%. While everyone else is fine with their data and stuff being sold (i mean who isn't at this point), actively taking up proverbial arms against a free market tyrant because you think the profit split is unfair is...radical. I don't condone the data stuff, i don't condone shady practices, but i'm fine with having once centralized source of media. I'm fine with having a monopoly because it's a commodity. It's centralized, it's convenient. We're not charged extra for games, refunds still exist, and we're free to choose what we play and who we play it with.

Under no circumstances am i about to install 4/5 other launchers to play games when i can play virtually all of them through steam, both officially inhouse and through 3rd party plugins/applications that allow me to access that content through steam, and organize it within the library. 
i'm someone who downloaded blizzard launcher just to play hearthstone and overwatch and never saw it as even the slightest bit inconvenient. and i also pay an origin monthly subscription so i have access to a ton of free games. im sure if all these games were on 'one centralized platform' it'd be slightly better but the way i see it the fact that it's not isn't some wild dealbreaker by any margin. for some people it is apparently i guess and its so inconvenient to download more than one launcher that they absolutely refuse to buy borderlands 3 for that reason. its hard to say if they're just being anti-epic reactionaries or legitimately only have 5-6 applications downloaded on their hard drive at all.

Also the profit split margin "make vs. break" ratio is negligible, in that, the potential profits of steam are higher in some cases than the epic/origin/discord fiasco on the fact that steam is widely known and is still viewed more than all other game media platforms combined. They're losing more money from exposure, or the lack thereof. And no one is forcing producers, publishers, or indie startups to put their products on steam, because they know about the split, they're aware and they're accepting of that. In their world, in order to break even from thousands of hours of development, in order to make a sale, you need one thing. Viewership.

Exposure is everything, marketing is everything. Publicity, views, capital. THAT matters. Putting a game on the epic store is the equivalent of starting your expensive law firm in the Alaskan wilderness.

I don't mean to bash epic, because i want to see them force steam to step out of their comfort bubble, but at the same time i'm a neat person and like all of my media organised in a concise and clear fashion. There can't be order when there are ten or more so media platforms that all take up space and all conveniently claim to do everything else the competitors do, but "better".
the underexposure argument is difficult to make when epic launcher has 85 million users with its store installed. it really boils down to how many of those users are active/browsing the store which is a statistic that isn't actually available. so you very well could be missing out on 15 million sales by launching as an epic exclusive. or you actually couldn't. its unspecific. the way i see it nobody complained that fortnite or unreal tournament are epic exclusives and were happy to install the launcher just to play their favorite game.

Epic games is close to the level of EA in my book, and if you think that EGS/EGL is the superior platform you're so stupid it's not even worth having an argument. That's a master matthew political thread level of bad take. Steam has its issues but compared to EGS/EGL? not even loving comparable.
its superior to me because i'm ironically not a master matthew level conspiracy theorist that thinks that every dll epic launcher accesses is them installing malware or selling my data. when i use a game platform all i do is buy a game and play it and that's all the utility i get out of it. with that in mind epic games store IS superior to steam

i still don't fully get this 'epic games shady' notion everyone keeps insinuating. every time i read about it online i trace the whole argument back to some anonymous reddit script kiddie user who was brown townyzing epic games' registry patterns and some people saying that the platform is owned by the chinese government or some stuff. as someone who stuffs on master matthew every day its hard to loving take these starfishs seriously
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:18:19 AM by PhantOS »

Epic Store getting games to be exclusive isn't good and it's also not good that it's a barebones launcher compared to Steam. That's two big reasons people don't download it, over the whole private data fiasco.

Epic Store getting games to be exclusive isn't good and it's also not good that it's a barebones launcher compared to Steam. That's two big reasons people don't download it, over the whole private data fiasco.
exclusivity is a void argument when launchers are entirely free to download and take about 100mb. it stood up better on console wars. and what do you mean by a barebones launcher? it launches games, you can change launch options. how much more complex do you need your launcher to be? steam is just as barebones except i guess they let you opt in and out of betas?

exclusivity is a void argument when launchers are entirely free to download and take about 100mb. it stood up better on console wars. and what do you mean by a barebones launcher? it launches games, you can change launch options. how much more complex do you need your launcher to be? steam is just as barebones except i guess they let you opt in and out of betas?
Steam has reviews, sales, events, communities, friends lists, groups, discussions, workshop, art work, screenshot uploads and even an actual search feature.

Tell me steam is barebones and comparable to epic after that.