Epic Games Store discussion thread

Author Topic: Epic Games Store discussion thread  (Read 6914 times)

the couple bucks cheaper thing is actually a pretty good idea, devs dont get backlash and theres still a pretty decent incentive to buy on egs

the only reason i could see why theyd opt for exclusivity instead is cause they dont have enough market presence for that to be a strong enough incentive (considering their lack of client features)

I am not supporting EGS when I say this, but the fact they take some sort of data from users really does not bother me? This may just be ignorance talking, but I'm pretty sure most websites do it, so I'm not sure why everyone is harping EGS for doing it. This alone is not a good reason for me to boycott the launcher. I never use it, but I will use it to play borderlands 3 and such. The game is what matters to me, not the stuffty application that its hosted on.

I am not supporting EGS when I say this, but the fact they take some sort of data from users really does not bother me? This may just be ignorance talking, but I'm pretty sure most websites do it, so I'm not sure why everyone is harping EGS for doing it. This alone is not a good reason for me to boycott the launcher. I never use it, but I will use it to play borderlands 3 and such. The game is what matters to me, not the stuffty application that its hosted on.
It's not about the typical data that the computer snoops through. But EGS actually does some illegal things like snooping through other software in your computer like Steam, BattleNet, or Origin to see who your friends are and what games you play. All without your permission. Also EGS has had some major security vulnerabilities this last year alone. You can say Steam and others have had the same, which is true, but none of them resulted in millions of players identifying information being leaked.

EDIT: I stand corrected on the privacy issue.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 03:55:50 PM by Ceist »

It's not about the typical data that the computer snoops through. But EGS actually does some illegal things like snooping through other software in your computer like Steam, BattleNet, or Origin to see who your friends are and what games you play. All without your permission. Also EGS has had some major security vulnerabilities this last year alone. You can say Steam and others have had the same, which is true, but none of them resulted in millions of players identifying information being leaked.
ya this

That and Epic's forget stuff abysmal account security and customer support makes it even more of a stufftake

not entirely true

https://forum.facepunch.com/general/bvnqr/Epic-Games-Store-Is-stuff-But-It-s-Not-Spyware/1/

EDIT: I stand corrected on the privacy issue.
Oh, well if they're doing straight up illegal stuff then that's bad for sure. The marketplace for games could use competition, but what EG is doing is more or less aggression than it is competition.

I'm not even sure why these big names are going to EG exclusives, sure they get 85 percent rather than 70, but its a small platform that 99 percent of users only use for Fortnite. What's more profitable, 85 percent of a grape or 70 percent of a watermelon?

I'm not even sure why these big names are going to EG exclusives, sure they get 85 percent rather than 70, but its a small platform that 99 percent of users only use for Fortnite. What's more profitable, 85 percent of a grape or 70 percent of a watermelon?
I like to think the companies were aware of the grape and watermelon effect, but I assume the money received from EG compensated the potential losses

Id say a bunch of people will probably buy the game on EG store, and rebuy it later on steam, just for accesibility, if this becomes reality, the companies win twice

gamers... really are the most oppressed

thats awesome. im convinced that the largest source of toxicity in rocket league are people with a steam level above 15

i already own it on steam so they can remove it all they want itll stay in my library

some frustration about Epic Games that you might not know about. Epic Games is also paying conventions to extend application time for companies to submit their games EXCLUSIVELY for unreal engine. the company i intern at is dealing with this now