Epic Games Store discussion thread

Author Topic: Epic Games Store discussion thread  (Read 6901 times)

wtf i hate epic games now
i am really triggered as an GNU/Linux fanboy

uh oh poopsie woopsie

I don't use Linux but by god that is the most handicapped thing I've heard from anyone like him.

Epic Games is such a loving pissant company what the forget

Epic Games is like Disney but literally Riddler

And this is how you encourage piracy.
Epic Games is actually loving awful.

Elon save us.

some frustration about Epic Games that you might not know about. Epic Games is also paying conventions to extend application time for companies to submit their games EXCLUSIVELY for unreal engine. the company i intern at is dealing with this now
pageloss or no one cares but its still som BS. one week is a lot of development time for pre alpha indie game showcase

this is literally what microsoft did back in the late 1990's with "embrace extend extinguish" except they dont even attempt to hide it what the hell
you don't have to be a linux user to understand that this stuff is bad. you'd think that epic is acting in good faith in order to go against their competition and defeat the big "monopoly" that is steam, however underneath it all epic is the company doing stuffty monopolistic business practices, while steam is doing the opposite. in particular, valve has been putting a lot of resources towards linux support lately, to the point of bundling a tool based on wine within the steam client itself to run windows games in an easy fashion that doesn't require a super hacky solution to be used by the end user. meanwhile here's epic making an active and concentrated attempt to make linux irrelevant before it can become relevant at all.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:06:10 PM by Mr Queeba »

I want to know how autistic fortnite players with unlimited cash from their mom's credit card gave epic games enough money to become the villain in gaming.

Any platform that is anti Linux is the good guy. Keeping all the self righteous Linux cigarettes out of my rocket league matches is the kind of progress I like to hear. Epic now has my full support

hey so world of goo is free rn on the store but its also drm free soooooo

Any platform that is anti Linux is the good guy. Keeping all the self righteous Linux cigarettes out of my rocket league matches is the kind of progress I like to hear. Epic now has my full support
hope ur being ironic cause now it feels like ur drinking the kool aid cause you forgot how to think critically and need to act like master matthew

linux is a healthy part of the os ecosystem and forcing users to buy into ms to game is absolutely dumb and monopolistic.

hope ur being ironic cause now it feels like ur drinking the kool aid cause you forgot how to think critically and need to act like master matthew

linux is a healthy part of the os ecosystem and forcing users to buy into ms to game is absolutely dumb and monopolistic.
conan even if i didn't unironically hate linux, the fact is that linux makes up like 2% of all pc uses on this planet and even on steam it makes up 0.19% of all users. a lot of games don't even have mac support and i've never seen anyone outside the mac and linux demographic ever be even the slightest bit upset about it. it was always 'just buy a pc'

epic games isn't necessarily demanding linux users to buy a windows pc, linux users are demanding that epic games launcher be tailed towards linux. ive always been an avid supporter of tailoring products towards your lowest end and smallest demographics and i've received too much flak for it in the past so it doesn't seem fair that this time around i take the flak for the opposite stance. whenever i say "engine designers should design for the lowest optimized system on earth before the highest" i get hit with an immediate "just buy a better pc friend" and on the flipside when someone says "engine designers should design for the lowest optimized system on earth rather than the highest" i hit them with "just buy a better pc friend" and now i'm in the wrong?

opinions aside designing your product for the 1% demographic is very costly. it means you have to make changes that are guaranteed to have no effect on 99% of your end user, but you have to spend the same amount of money designing it as the systems tailored to the 99%. linux support, like mod support or optimization, is either a cheap forethought or an expensive afterthought. once the product is made, if linux support was not part of the initial design, it might never be
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:06:52 PM by PhantOS »

above essay voided because i still unironically hate linux and whatever part it has in the 'os ecosystem.' if you make a linux application tailored to linux you are making an application only 2% of all computer users can operate. if you make a windows application tailored to windows, you are making an application that 80% of all computers can operate. windows development is unarguably the most worthwhile and beneficial development in the os ecosystem
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:13:52 PM by PhantOS »

to be fair, i mostly see linux as server hosting because i only ssh into it
games supporting linux is more like a "that's cool" to me
when servers for games don't have a linux build then i kind of get annoyed, since it's normally so much easier than trying to host on a windows machine