Snakeybus - Basically Crazy Taxi mixed with Snake (out now!)

Author Topic: Snakeybus - Basically Crazy Taxi mixed with Snake (out now!)  (Read 2396 times)

not currently out yet, set to come out may 10th on steam
hey, have you ever driven a bus around recklessly in a city breaking many laws including but not limited to the speed limit and gravity and thought "man, i wish my bus would just keep getting longer every time i swooped up passengers!" well then you're in luck because your strangely specific fantasy can soon be fulfilled

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1012560/Snakeybus/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vzdt4wTXc
"Snakeybus is a casual arcade game that requires a balance between reflexes and forethought. Weave through the city streets and pick up as many passengers as you can. Drop your passengers at their destinations to cash in. The more people you drop off, the more your bus grows in length. Play smart and avoid crashing into yourself!"

this looks pretty great i know i'm gonna get it as soon as it comes out how bout u guys
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:22:40 PM by gr8dayseth »

"English language not supported"

Is this a joke or am I just doing something wrong somehow?

ya i'm not sure what that's about lol i mean the rest of the thing's in english

musta just forgotten to set any language yet.. i'm sure that'll be fixed by the time the game's out
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:38:05 PM by gr8dayseth »

this is loving insane and i love it

so... its just snake but with a criminally low field of view? that basically defeats the entire purpose of snake- being able to see the rest of your body in order to plot an educated course. in this game if you turn a corner you might run smack into your butt because there's no birds eye view of the game.

its like making first person tetris where you are the block falling down and you can only look down and you get an inadequate view of the blocks below you because you removed a view of the axis that contains 90% of the game's information: the front face. mechanically it would be leagues less fun than original tetris but i guess these days kids will buy anything that looks flashy and has every unity post-processing effect on it

i guess its interesting because you've added a new dimension to the game space but doing that requires you to throw away a lot of depth and mechanics in order to process the data in 3d. for a game like snake that hinges so much on being able to see the rest of your body at all times its definitely not the best change. the only way it would work is if the map design was memorable and laid out in a pattern so you could keep tabs of which streets intersect which
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:50:04 PM by PhantOS »

thing is i dont think running into yourself kills you in this game, which is good considering it'd be hard and pretty unfair to see that coming

so... its just snake but with a criminally low field of view? that basically defeats the entire purpose of snake- being able to see the rest of your body in order to plot an educated course. in this game if you turn a corner you might run smack into your butt because there's no birds eye view of the game.

its like making first person tetris where you are the block falling down and you can only look down and you get an inadequate view of the blocks below you because you removed a view of the axis that contains 90% of the game's information: the front face. mechanically it would be leagues less fun than original tetris
i think some of this game is gonna be about remembering where u previously were and trying to give urself room for the future, cus it's not like the trail of urself is gonna pop outta nowhere around a corner it's just constantly there because u were there recently and u can see it coming ahead
plus it's not just 2d snake in a city as u can see there's some inspired verticality that u can use to ur advantage
ah u edited it while i was typing this up and it pretty much answered this so uh yeah
but i guess these days kids will buy anything that looks flashy and has every unity post-processing effect on it
it doesn't even look that fantastic tho, it doesn't look bad but it's pretty simple looking for the most part. looks ain't selling the game the absurd idea of the game is
i guess its interesting because you've added a new dimension to the game space but doing that requires you to throw away a lot of depth and mechanics in order to process the data in 3d. for a game like snake that hinges so much on being able to see the rest of your body at all times its definitely not the best change. the only way it would work is if the map design was memorable and laid out in a pattern so you could keep tabs of which streets intersect which
i don't think not being able to see ur whole body will be as big a deal in this game. there seems to be enough warning and enough space between the intersections and such to be able to react in time most of the time anyways, but i guess we'll have to wait to know for sure how it feels. but in any case i doubt this is supposed to be a game with a super fair mindset, it's obviously not gonna be the next snake or whatever it's just gonna be a fun time to try and see how long u could last with this strange and humorous challenge
thing is i dont think running into yourself kills you in this game, which is good considering it'd be hard and pretty unfair to see that coming
well not entirely, i think it just allows for some more leeway like u can bump into urself a bit and not crash but i imagine if u end up t-boning or getting crushed in a too-small space it would be a loss
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:51:18 PM by gr8dayseth »

phantos you’re way overthinking this lol

its supposed to be a fun game to play for a few hours or with friends to laugh over, not an intellectual or meaningful or educational pursuit... and theres plenty of ways to make the core gameplay have some variety as well, pretty much every basic snake game variant would be portable to the 3d format

its like the tron planes in bl - its just a fun idea, it doesn’t have to be perfect or well thought out. its not like snake itself is a game with deep mechanics either - its just running around in a pattern picking up dots while avoiding your tail
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:08:20 PM by Conan »

phantos you’re way overthinking this lol

its supposed to be a fun game to play for a few hours or with friends to laugh over, not an intellectual or meaningful or educational pursuit... and theres plenty of ways to make the core gameplay have some variety as well, pretty much every basic snake game variant would be portable to the 3d format

its like the tron planes in bl - its just a fun idea, it doesn’t have to be perfect or well thought out. its not like snake itself is a game with deep mechanics either - its just running around in a pattern picking up dots while avoiding your tail
GAME NOT BIG BRAIN ENOUGH. PHANTO ANGRY

im just critical because its a pretty unique abstraction of snake but so is snakebird. snakebus has a bad case of what i like to call 4.99 syndrome where the game is priced low because its meant to kill basically an hour of your time before you return it. a 3d port of snake is, as you said, not perfect or well thought out (when it can be). i think that if you're making a game that is fun for an hour you can easily make it fun for 5 hours for the same price point (snakebird) if you have a solid mechanic that is scalable.

the thought of just saying 'here's 3d snake with quirky abstract paint over it' has never sought (sit? sat? sitten?) well with me because it can easily transform from that into 'here's 3d snake with some new unique mechanics that make the game interesting' which i guess the ramps count as or something. you don't need to, as you said like games don't need to be 'great' but they can be.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:32:37 AM by PhantOS »

that actually looks pretty awesome

wow paris public transportation changed a lot

damn this looks fun, imagine if there were multiplayer

wow paris public transportation changed a lot
lmao

GAME NOT BIG BRAIN ENOUGH. PHANTO ANGRY

im just critical because its a pretty unique abstraction of snake but so is snakebird. snakebus has a bad case of what i like to call 4.99 syndrome where the game is priced low because its meant to kill basically an hour of your time before you return it. a 3d port of snake is, as you said, not perfect or well thought out (when it can be). i think that if you're making a game that is fun for an hour you can easily make it fun for 5 hours for the same price point (snakebird) if you have a solid mechanic that is scalable.

the thought of just saying 'here's 3d snake with quirky abstract paint over it' has never sought (sit? sat? sitten?) well with me because it can easily transform from that into 'here's 3d snake with some new unique mechanics that make the game interesting' which i guess the ramps count as or something. you don't need to, as you said like games don't need to be 'great' but they can be.
fair point - we’ll see how this pans out. never heard of snakebird before, but yeah this game does give off the feeling of short lived entertainment. id question if thats a bad thing though - its definitely a well executed aesthetic and feel and the fact its gaining even minor attention means it’ll probably actually make a decent buck. its essentially a modern arcade game except you dont have to leave home with 3 pounds of quarters. arcade games almost by definition are tiny brain little depth.