Author Topic: Oh forget! aka. Murphy's Law Kicks (My Face) In  (Read 762 times)

Everything has officially gone wrong.

It all started when I decided to update my systems to the latest version of Fedora.

Everything went fine on my laptop and every server I tried, but when the time came to upgrade my main rig, the stuff hit the fan. Hard.

I've never had an upgrade go wrong, and especially not like this. Everything was fine, until the upgrade actually started, then a short was in, everything froze. I figured, "whatever I'll let it be for now", and passed out as I hadn't slept yet. However, when I woke up, it was still frozen. And thus began the downhill spiral.

I rebooted the system, hopping that it would magically start working again. No luck. In fact, I didn't even get a BIOS logo. I disconnected everything, and pulled the system out. I then proceeded to remove the second graphics card (an RX 480), and crossed my fingers. Still no luck. Just a black screen.

I started to get that "Oh forget..." sinking feeling as I proceeded to switch out my main card (a used $500 RX Vega 64) with the old secondary card. Luckily, this time the system booted. Unfortunately, that meant that my, now past its return date, $500 card, was causing my system to hang. I proceeded to take the card apart, and change the thermal compound. The only thing I really could do.

At this point though I notice that the upgrade has hung again, this time during cleanup. I proceeded to reboot and try the upgrade a third time, and pray that it would just finish the damn upgrade. Unfortunately, it seems that I have angered some higher power, and they weren't done yet.

The system finished cleanup and then sat there, for several minutes, just doing nothing, saying that it was going to reboot. Finally I got fed up, and decided to press the power button, just to see what it would do. It did at least shut down, but the upgrade still failed. When I rebooted this time, I was still on the old version, but now it refused to return to the upgrade, saying that it wasn't ready.

Now I'm stuck with a broken upgrade, gnome-terminal won't even start (Have to use xterm), a probably forgeted GPU that cost me way too much money, and I've wasted a bunch of my day off on this crap.

So to whatever almighty being I have unknowingly offended, I beg your mercy and forgiveness. Please see fit to end this torment, I have worked hard, and I ask for so little. So please. Just let me be and leave my computers alone. I will be forever grateful.

So to whatever almighty being I have unknowingly offended, I beg your mercy and forgiveness. Please see fit to end this torment, I have worked hard, and I ask for so little. So please. Just let me be and leave my computers alone. I will be forever grateful.
bruh i remember spilling milk all over my keyboard and being like "WHYYY, WHY MEEE"

technology is STUPID it just randomly stops working (even tho the example i used was entirely my fault)

Wait don't you use a Linux?

Wait don't you use a Linux?
Because major upgrades never fail on other OS's`?
Remember when Microsoft was pushing Windows 7 to Window 10?

I had 7/8 successful upgrades this time alone. This is the first I've ever had go wrong out of 20 or so upgrades. That's pretty good. Especially when you consider that the broken system still works enough to boot to a desktop and browse the internet.

If my GPU hadn't failed it may have been okay, and that wasn't the OS, it was just unfortunate.

are you a furry linux user

are you a furry linux user
I am technically both of those things. In this case they are not related.

Some people are furries and/or choose Linux to feel different.

If appreciating furry art, makes you a furry, then I'm a furry. I use Linux because I believe in open source software and technology (and I hate Microsoft).

have u tried opening gnome-terminal in xterm so you see any error output?

edit: sry but im actually unable to help furries for religious reasons
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:00:02 PM by EcstaticEggplant »