What are you think of brickadia

Author Topic: What are you think of brickadia  (Read 19266 times)

i dunno about you guys but im waiting for the brickadia forums to crop up so i can bear witness to the next generation of internet lego game anarchy

Gotta come here again and clear some things up because I'm being asked some strange questions:
  • Brickadia has 0 players online because it is closed to new testers. The game has not been released, it is nowhere near finished or playable. Comparing it to another game, by one man or no, that was completed at some point in the past is very weird.
  • Vehicles (buildable), in-game brick behaviours, brick effects (lights, emitters, zones etc) and modding are planned and will not be dropped.
  • Brickadia's mod dev kit is nowhere near 100GB in size. This statement is ridiculous. I have the entire developer package on my computer (all source code, textures, .sai files, tools and original blender assets) and it barely reaches past 20GB.
  • Nothing we have proposed has been scrapped due to technical limitations. We make a point to always under-promise and over-deliver with our work. We technically investigate the feasibility of things like buildable vehicles and destruction quite thoroughly before we even let the community hear about them.
  • No, the community is not only blockland players. A sizable portion of even the tester pool have never heard of BL. Sorry.
  • No, it would never cost $60 for a key or $100 for a server license. There will be no ridiculous hidden prices. No prices have been announced, even.
  • No, there is no lawsuit (yes, someone actually asked)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 08:22:41 AM by chrisbot6 »

he cant stop kenko from talking....? at no point have they been relying on him to speak, otherwise they wouldnt have posted in this thread themselves to answer questions and concerns...
Obviously lol, I'm asking why kenko is speaking like that if he isn't in a position of power

Why do you talk on behalf of Blockland community?
I personally don’t feel stuff on, and I doubt players who’s enjoying Blockland as of right now feel that way neither.
Nowhere in my post did I say "The blockland community as a collective whole feels bad because of what you said about them and your game is now suffering because of it". I said that stuffting on the community is not a good idea but it is a good way to make people stop having interest in the game. stuffting on an entire community because of a couple of goofballs isn't a good idea, generalizations are not good. Have you seen what's been happening in the political world these past few years because of generalizations made about large communities? And no, I am not trying to say this real world example is going to happen but on the BLF, I'm saying that if we look at examples from past incidents we should understand that broad generalizations should just be avoided entirely.

I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone, what I'm saying should just be obvious.

Gotta come here again and clear some things up because I'm being asked some strange questions:
  • Brickadia has 0 players online because it is closed to new testers. The game has not been released, it is nowhere near finished or playable. Comparing it to another game, by one man or no, that was completed at some point in the past is very weird.
  • Vehicles (buildable), in-game brick behaviours, brick effects (lights, emitters, zones etc) and modding are planned and will not be dropped.
  • Brickadia's mod dev kit is nowhere near 100GB in size. This statement is ridiculous. I have the entire developer package on my computer (all source code, textures, .sai files, tools and original blender assets) and it barely reaches past 20GB.
  • Nothing we have proposed has been scrapped due to technical limitations. We make a point to always under-promise and over-deliver with our work. We technically investigate the feasibility of things like buildable vehicles and destruction quite thoroughly before we even let the community hear about them.
  • No, the community is not only blockland players. A sizable portion of even the tester pool have never heard of BL. Sorry.
  • No, it would never cost $60 for a key or $100 for a server license. There will be no ridiculous hidden prices. No prices have been announced, even.
  • No, there is no lawsuit (yes, someone actually asked)
It's just a meme that guy made so I wouldn't take it seriously, but it's nice to have insight on what's going on in development. I wish I could try the game out

But the literal point is why does one need to make a blockland clone in the first place?
like it or not, blockland never reached its full potential, it was cucked by removing important parts of the game(interiors) and a botched steam release

there could have been so much more in terms of content/updates.

I think another factor to it is also the old engine, blockland was a really good game but way to early to capitalize even more on this game type. I've never, ever seen a game so extensible and flexible more than blockland. It's truly a one of a kind sandbox game and I still think there is massive potential for a game that emulates the type of game that it is to make it big.

I think another factor to it is also the old engine,
and unreal is somehow better?

and unreal is somehow better?
yes, objectively, minus the modding aspect. its a much more powerful and up-to-date game dev engine, but it doesnt have vanilla modding built into the system.

anyone who you see suggest that unreal isnt a suitable engine for this game has never been able to suggest a better one (with actual facts and reasoning, not stuffposting). the devs have already explained why unity is less suitable.
unreal has its issues/gripes but it's the most suitable engine for this game

Remake Blockland on the Source Engine

Remake Blockland on the Source Engine

do i have to dig up the thread

C# supports pointers and they're practically as fast as cpp. If the loading and saving was done using unsafe c# code then you could basically load builds maybe 5% slower than in the cpp one. It would be feasible in unity as long as you don't use the native procedural mesh system

C# unsafe is like slightly faster than safe depending on how you write the algorithm and most c# ops are like... 3x slower than cpp
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:10:52 PM by PhantOS »

It would be feasible in unity as long as you don't use the native procedural mesh system

One of the goals of Brickadia is to provide a quality multiplayer experience. In Unity's current state, it can't offer that.
Using the native entity/mesh system of any engine indeed won't work: that's how you end up with v0002.