Author Topic: Cakey's Brick Textures - The update nobody asked for  (Read 4452 times)

"very liney"
~ Rose the Floran

Hey all, I've come back to revive my old topic with an update to my brick textures.

If you didn't see the old topic, I made some brick textures for personal use, despite the fact that making custom brick textures is a bit of a dying art form. I thought they looked alright and I saw no harm in releasing them, so I did, and here I am doing it again.

First things first, I've modified the stud texture to look similar to Zapk's. My stud is shown below:

I've done a similar thing to the side textures, but I've also made it so they reflect sunlight the way the studs do, making them look even more plastic:

Since tastes differ, some won't like that change, so I've added an alternate texture in the download under a folder called "No shine," which is more faithful to the way that the default side textures behave under direct sunlight:

Now for the new stuff. I've gotten around to making my own bottom textures, though the "edges" are only very subtly different from the default textures.

If you spend a lot of time looking at ceilings, as I have today, you'll have noticed that in the default textures, the outer region of bricks' bottoms is noticeably darker than the center:

I wasn't a fan of this, so I did my best to make the bottom of the brick blend better with everything else:

However, you may notice a tiny but sharp dividing line where the change was made between the edge and the center. It's a bit easier to notice ingame. Since I'm admittedly pretty inept at image editing I don't know how to fix it, but anybody has my blessing if they want to modify the textures to try and do so.

If you don't like the change, I'd just keep the default bottom textures, since the other changes I've made to them are extremely subtle anyway.

Download

Installation
Place the desired textures in Blockland\base\data\shapes and make sure they're set to Read Only.

Uninstallation
For Steam users: Delete the textures and verify your game's cache.
For non-Steam users: Uncheck Read Only on the textures.

Let me know what you think, and again, feel free to modify the textures if you feel like!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:45:10 PM by Cakey »

Extra liney, I think these would look just as good without shaders on

good minor changes that are very qol and dont change the look from default that much

Side textures almost seem 3d at certain angles, well done.

Will most likely see me using this from now on

I love the shiny effect, also I see you tried to do a fake ambient occlusion with the top stud texture right? It looks nice, also I would recommend making pictures to compare them with the original textures.

I love the shiny effect, also I see you tried to do a fake ambient occlusion with the top stud texture right? It looks nice, also I would recommend making pictures to compare them with the original textures.
there's some comparison pics in the old thread, except for the bottom textures which didn't exist back then and have comparison pics in this thread. i'd make new ones but i'm lazy and i didn't want to flood the op with redundant pictures

glad you guys like it :D

oh so its like addition_brick addition_bricktes
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 01:18:38 PM by Potatoh »

what's that
it adds tessellation to bricks around the corners of said bricks and stuff

bump cause we hit 100 downloads lol