Author Topic: Entertainment Software Association security breach; 2000+ people's info leaked  (Read 857 times)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/clc4km/due_to_a_mishandling_of_information_that_has/ (the only source of the news right now before everybody else starts covering it)

The breach details are being sent out as an .xlsx (MS Excel) file that I will not be providing, although you can easily find the link on either 8chan's /v/ board (epic) or kiwifarms (extremely epic). Lots of journalists and even content creators (like Lazy Game Reviews and Jaboody Dubs) are affected by this.

/discuss
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 10:20:58 PM by Stick Man »

its insane how people call this private investigating even though that isn't even what it is. its just a security breach, its not like the owners of E3 purposefully released private information with malicious intent, which is the actual definition of private investigating. they had a database of people's information, something that's basically required as they have different people coming talking at E3 who use their personal mailing address. someone leaked it
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 10:30:03 PM by PhantOS »

its insane how people call this private investigating even though that isn't even what it is. its just a security breach, its not like the owners of E3 purposefully released private information with malicious intent, which is the actual definition of private investigating. they had a database of people's information, something that's basically required as they have different people coming talking at E3 who use their personal mailing address. someone leaked it
there's a difference between gross incompetence and malicious intent that some people fail to realize. with a site like kiwi farms or whatever, their entire goal is to harass people they don't like, so they're just going to run with something that's misleading if they can get some funnies out of it.
but ye, this is quite the forgetup. there's several people on the list that i recognize, including some like lgr where i view their content on a regular basis. hopefully everyone that is listed wont get lynched although you never know what will happen when kiwi farms gets their hands on personal info. why the forget would they just have a file with a bunch of people's private information publicly available on their network???
update: lgr has responded https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1157487457144922112
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:41:06 AM by Mr Queeba »

gross incompetence
it blows my mind how we live in a world where businesses are blamed for cyber attacks against them but people still protest to have hacking tutorials kept on youtube. its not even gross incompetence, when you're a company that specializes in handling private data then you have billions of dollars to spend on protecting that private data. a company like ESA that is purely an association aimed at the promotion of game design and creativity doesn't have that same budget for data security.

they literally took private information as a formality for admittance to their convention. obviously a roster of reporters and speakers HAS to exist otherwise random ass people can just walk backstage and say stuff like 'im ted smith and i'm supposed to be here" and then they have a loving disaster.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 01:17:11 AM by PhantOS »

actually i take that all back these forgeters had the entire roster on a public link in their website. it wasn't even a network vulnerability

there's a difference between gross incompetence and malicious intent that some people fail to realize. with a site like kiwi farms or whatever, their entire goal is to harass people they don't like, so they're just going to run with something that's misleading if they can get some funnies out of it.

Kiwifarms has a strict "don't get involved" rule, they want their cows to forget up on their own. The sites more of an information collector on notable individuals. Still scummy but I would say they are far less invasive and malicious compared to something like TMZ for example.

actually i take that all back these forgeters had the entire roster on a public link in their website. it wasn't even a network vulnerability
that's what i meant when i said gross incompetence, lol. i didnt mention it specifically because i was uncertain about if it was true
Kiwifarms has a strict "don't get involved" rule, they want their cows to forget up on their own. The sites more of an information collector on notable individuals. Still scummy but I would say they are far less invasive and malicious compared to something like TMZ for example.
that makes sense, although i'd imagine that there'd be a good amount of people that just ignore that rule anyway - the full table is publicly available there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 02:03:35 AM by Mr Queeba »