Evented Games

Author Topic: Evented Games  (Read 1192 times)

I'm just making myself available to event stuff for people to use in whatever they want. The only requirement is making sure it's not easier for someone to script it instead. I'm not even sure if anyone needs this but if you do, don't be afraid to ask.

People event things all the time that'd be easier to script.

i guess you're right, maybe try not to make it impossible to event.

its always nice for stuffs and giggles though

99% of all turing complete event projects are easier made in script

99% of all turing complete event projects are easier made in script
It's better for the smaller things, it's nearly impossible to make a complicated completely evented gamemode.

events are good for flexibility. scripts are good for functionality.

examples where flexibility better:
  • specifying bot type, location, appearance, hp in a map - due to balance reasons may need to move it around + change types/counts
  • keying triggers together. would be pain to have to edit code every time you want to add a sound or a relay/brick trigger

basically anything youd want to be able change on the fly if you make build changes, or letting others use it in their build without having to read the code

example where script is better:
  • need functionality with callbacks/tying multiple complicated things together. example is wave based spawning on a timer that might reset, and the spawns are picked based on collective player locations
  • literally not possible with events, ex spawn static shape, play a custom animation, and mount a player to it

basically something you aren’t expecting to change fundamentally and does not change even if build changes
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:10:27 AM by Conan »

it's nearly impossible to make a complicated completely evented gamemode.
It's not, maybe more tedious. Scripts are a just more efficient way of doing it.

edit: To give you an example Nicepoint's server had a pretty complicated shop system that was entirely evented to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:03:28 AM by c[_] »