downloading files on loading screens takes hours - what to do?

Author Topic: downloading files on loading screens takes hours - what to do?  (Read 2672 times)

Once I opened a server that was full of private add-ons,
 my guests waited so long, and because of that, more than 50% of my guests left the server... (everyone also hasn't download the prints I made )
Is there a way to make it easier for the guests to download all the private add-ons? I mean without the waiting on the loading screen like weirdoes for about 2 hours...
maybe in their spare time? so they can download it and can use it in my server, but not in their game.

Make sure you have fast packets enabled in your network settings, as long as you have a fast internet connection it'll let people download files many times faster than before.

If it's still a problem with fast packets enabled, you should probably consider cutting down the size of your content.

The only issue I ever have with downloading files is datablocks freezing nonstop.

Make sure you have fast packets enabled in your network settings, as long as you have a fast internet connection it'll let people download files many times faster than before.

If it's still a problem with fast packets enabled, you should probably consider cutting down the size of your content.
Thanks, But I have no idea how to turn on the 'fast packets'. Can you give me a link for a quick guide for this? (I'm using Windows 10)

Thanks, But I have no idea how to turn on the 'fast packets'. Can you give me a link for a quick guide for this? (I'm using Windows 10)
You can go to the options window, then to the network tab. You'll see an option checkbox for enabling/disabling fast packets, make sure it's ticked.

You could also set $pref::Net::FastPackets = 0; to 1 probably. Fast packets are only server sided though.

Oh now I get it, I somehow thought its in the windows 10 network setting...  oh and poop I realized 'Fast Packets' in my game is enabled.. :(
Thanks anyway
EDIT: does it makes sense that rar files that in cumulative size are sort of 13 MBs will take an hour to download in the loading screen? I'm asking because actually that what happened in my case
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:08:48 AM by BlockAlpha »

"full of private addons"
the gods were striking down your server for your egoism
aka blockland just sucks at downloading stuff and just downloads tiny addons at roughly one bit per decade, if your server has a lot of unique content never cached by anyone before, they'll all have to dl it
davow hosted an awesome l4b server but it used custom remade zombies at bot holes and everyone had to dl all the zombie noises and custom items and resupply bricks and extra sweps weapons and zombies and it sadly took ages and a lot of people left in loading :(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:14:46 AM by maxymax13 »

"full of private addons"
the gods were striking down your server for your egoism
I wasn't even thinking of what you're trying to say, just saying the fact (btw it was my Jurassic park server). and also, IMO servers getting more fun when they have their own special add-ons.
aka blockland just sucks at downloading stuff and just downloads tiny addons at roughly one bit per decade, if your server has a lot of unique content never cached by anyone before, they'll all have to dl it
davow hosted an awesome l4b server but it used custom remade zombies at bot holes and everyone had to dl all the zombie noises and custom items and resupply bricks and extra sweps weapons and zombies and it sadly took ages and a lot of people left in loading :(
you even said it yourself
But with cutting down all the crap thank you for your answer, it has now become clear to me that what has happened to me is happening to others as well.

one way to keep players loading is to have a large number of players already on the server playing. people dont want to be stuck loading but they’re a lot more amenable towards doing it if theres a bunch of players on and having fun

I wasn't even thinking of what you're trying to say, just saying the fact (btw it was my Jurassic park server). and also, IMO servers getting more fun when they have their own special add-ons.
it was a joke about how blockland takes ages to join servers with private content because of all the content the client has a 0% chance of having encountered earlier
also, 13 megabytes? the average bl add-on is a couple kb. maybe disable music files you won't be using in the build?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 02:12:40 PM by maxymax13 »

what kind of files are on your server. is it music and prints? or just like weapons and stuff

one way to keep players loading is to have a large number of players already on the server playing. people dont want to be stuck loading but they’re a lot more amenable towards doing it if theres a bunch of players on and having fun
Ok, it makes sense, thanks
13 megabytes? the average bl add-on is a couple kb. maybe disable music files you won't be using in the build?
I only have 4 music files, the problem is that my models are too much detailed and are too many, also I have a lot of sounds effects(no music files)
what kind of files are on your server. is it music and prints? or just like weapons and stuff
I guess more like the weapons and stuff, but I do also have like 24 prints and 4 music files
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:36:41 PM by BlockAlpha »

the problem is that my models are too much detailed and are too many
the fix is probably lowering the details then

making everything all over again with fewer details? I don't have time for making everything all over again XD

nononono
sound files in general are huge. can you live with removing some sfx?