china's impact on the future of videogames

Author Topic: china's impact on the future of videogames  (Read 8779 times)

like yeah, advocate for change, freedom, democracy, whatever. there's better channels to do so (ex vote/support your government officials, attend protests, send donations, etc). don't demand or expect a game company to nuke its own playerbase, esp considering game companies/dev studios are generally pretty volatile. big game companies that can take the hit are too corporate/have fiduciary duty to make a strong stance.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:24:45 PM by Conan »

we're past the point of being neutral. forget china and forget the money. if this sheds more international light of the problem that is the chinese government, then good. they deserve no sympathy, and due process has already concluded that they're beyond salvation and need to be put to the chopping block

millions of Uighurs are being either exterminated or placed into labor/reeducation camps.
the whole of Hong Kong is being subjected to the brutality that is their police state.
their government disregards literally everyone else simply to maintain power, control, and profit, at the cost of its own citizenry, but also others. am i really living in the free world if the chinese government can dictate what I say/see/hear simply because they have a major population?

like i said before, if it was anything other than China, it would've been placed on a pedestal. This is garbage double-standards.

we all clearly understand what happening is wrong, so why bother defending the companies too? they're complicit in being complacent. i understand the logic of profiteering, but forget that, these are other people's lives.

if we're going to deny this person the podium for speaking of political opinions, we need to go ahead and place this standard on everyone else that tries to raise awareness.

edit: and don't forget the mass pollution that's contributing to our planets weakening biosphere
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:07:42 PM by Ceist »

you want other games to have the political commentary and toxicity you see here?

Appeasing to any inhumane authoritarian governments isn't American, and I think you're a filthy loving redcoat for saying that.

imo politics should stay the forget out of games. games are meant to be fun and entertaining, not a battleground for politics or a platform to proselytize. inherently ruins the fun.

Why cant games be political? What line is drawn that games, and subsequently entertainment as a whole, cannot contain political messages? forget, most games with any bit of story is far far more than likely to be inspired or representative of some kind of political stance, whether by metaphor or directness. Art & expression is intrinsically tied with politics, we've seen this for eons. Should music be next? "Apolitical entertainment" is reinforcing that only big companies should make entertainment, & that they are utterly scrubbed of any political bias (which is humanly impossible).

Why cant games be political? What line is drawn that games, and subsequently entertainment as a whole, cannot contain political messages? forget, most games with any bit of story is far far more than likely to be inspired or representative of some kind of political stance, whether by metaphor or directness. Art & expression is intrinsically tied with politics, we've seen this for eons. Should music be next? "Apolitical entertainment" is reinforcing that only big companies should make entertainment, & that they are utterly scrubbed of any political bias (which is humanly impossible).
im not saying it cant/shouldnt be, but i dont like the expectation that they should be if given the chance/forced into it. lambasting a company for not wanting to doesnt sit right with me. it feels like if i was asked to take a political stance, and i refused to, i get immediately labeled as a [insert questioner’s opposing side here] supporter. why should companies be exempt from having the choice not to take a side?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:15:00 PM by Conan »

I'm glad Blitzchung got banned! Keep politics OUT of Hearthstone! I love Tencent and Mao Zedong! (You will receive 100 social credit for posting this message in chat. Your family's organs will not be harvested this month. Please remove this part from the message before posting).

I'm with ciest or whatever forget china. liberate hong kong and also recognize taiwanese independence bitches

Post on every youtube video this is Bob... THAT WANTS TO LIBERATE HONG KONG!
When you are in a crowd of people, just scream "Liberate Hong Kong"!
Talk to other people about what is happening in Hong Kong! Inform your family, friends, colleagues, your dog, anybody you meet on the streets.
Every music event should just play "Liberate Hong Kong" at their event!
Every bit of news should only be about the event in Hong Kong!
Send chain mails with "Liberate Hong Kong"!
Say "Liberate Hong Kong" with a gas mask on in a post-game interview after a Hearthstone match!

One of these things is not like the others!

called it

https://dotesports.com/league-of-legends/news/riot-games-appears-to-censor-hong-kong-during-worlds-2019-broadcasts?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dottwt

these players arent just losing their freedom at home, even at a global event taking place in berlin they will be censored.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:02:20 AM by sleep »

Sorry but post-game commentary is supposed to be about the game.
Doing this during the post-game commentary is not professional at all.
Now if they did all that due to actions outside of the game, then i would not support it at all.
But this, in the context of how/where it happened, it makes sense.

While the movement might be worth supporting and all (i have not read myself in on what is going on exactly), that was not the right place for it.
It also really forgets with the representation of Blizzard. If they did not do anything about it, Blizzard would be marked as a supporter for the movement, while it is better to keep yourself out of the whole conversation. What is Blizzard's role in this conversation, do they really have any responsibility to take their stance in this conversation?
Acting on it might show they do not support the movement, but i think this is just a breach of conduct. If it was due to actions outside of the game (and commentary), it would be more worrisome.

Also if we support that, what keeps people from sharing more controversial opinions?
We need to draw a line somewhere, and i think they did that for a good reason.

Sadly i cannot agree with you myself, but i can see why you say it.
Such opportunities are good for getting public recognition, however, that does not mean it will go unpunished if you go over the written rules.

Post on every youtube video this is Bob... THAT WANTS TO LIBERATE HONG KONG!
When you are in a crowd of people, just scream "Liberate Hong Kong"!
Talk to other people about what is happening in Hong Kong! Inform your family, friends, colleagues, your dog, anybody you meet on the streets.
Every music event should just play "Liberate Hong Kong" at their event!
Every bit of news should only be about the event in Hong Kong!
Send chain mails with "Liberate Hong Kong"!
Say "Liberate Hong Kong" with a gas mask on in a post-game interview after a Hearthstone match!

One of these things is not like the others!

lordician account compromised by mao zedong

called it

https://dotesports.com/league-of-legends/news/riot-games-appears-to-censor-hong-kong-during-worlds-2019-broadcasts?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dottwt

these players arent just losing their freedom at home, even at a global event taking place in berlin they will be censored.
and just as quickly debunked. official riot response released today - casters were just wary and unsure after the blizzard news

lets get those dumplings gamers

my birthday is on june 4, bring it on