Author Topic: china's impact on the future of videogames  (Read 8778 times)

And multiple arguing that it does not belong in there.
I still stand by that.
I would like to enjoy something without thinking about the social or political implications it might have.
I play games to relax, have a good time and/or to laugh.
I watch the championship for the game. If I wanted politics I'd watch the news or like a broadcast around that.
Very egoistic and ignorant, but it keeps me from worrying constantly.
Gaming is an escape of reality for many. Invading that with politics is just not nice.
No matter how important or good willing, I am not a big fan of it.
me me me me

me me me me
You picked up on the egoistic remark i made in the message. Well done.

me me me me
this doesnt help your case at all... both me and lordican are arguing in good faith and in response you're acting like deus ex

go escape in a videogame im not wasting time explaining why your opinion is repulsively selfish

I got banned from posting on the OW forums for 1000 years.

If they did 1,000,000 years I would be slightly worried, since that's when a fiesta is happening.

go escape in a videogame im not wasting time explaining why your opinion is repulsively selfish
You do not need to, i explicitly state it and yet you take the time to underline that in a ridiculous way.
Very unnecessary and it really makes it harder to take things you say serious.
But you are right, it is an incredibly selfish way of thinking and i should think more of the minorities.
I am trying to improve on that, but in a way that i feel comfortable with, just like everyone else.
I do admire the intensity that you bring to move people out of their comfort zone and do something, i could use a little bit of that myself.
I hope you are capable of using that in other situations as well.
I would like to say however, that it might be useful to take a bit of a step back sometimes, not everyone responds well to the more intense approach and it can lead them into a very defensive state which makes it even harder to move them to do something.

Anyway more on-topic, seems like Blizzard had some time to think about what they did and they decided to shorten the time Blitzchung cannot compete in tournaments, only ban the casters for six months and grant Blitzchung his prize money after all.
(Source: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23185888/regarding-last-weekend-s-hearthstone-grandmasters-tournament )
I know it is not perfect and it still does not explain the difference in the reaction on Blitzchung and the American University's actions, but they seem to be responding to everything that is going on, i think that is safe to say.
A lot of casters have announced to step away from Blizzard (for some time at least) as well in the meantime.

Overall, things are still not fine and it is good to see so many people supporting the message and movement.
I just hope that we can find a point, together, that we can all be content with and not just want to "see the world burn" as it were.
Because sometimes it is hard to draw a line, whether that be a line from which you start to act, or a line from which you are content with the actions that are taken.
Wanting change is good, but you can't change everything immediately. Work on changing it, but do not lose yourself or your goal in the heat.

are companies supposed to not be? how else would they make money? yes, there's a point where its excessively selfish and at the detriment of users, but you really haven't put down a convincing case explaining why in general companies should let users use their platform for anything they want to say.

blizzard definitely is outing themselves as interested in the chinese market more than "the right thing", but that doesn't mean every other company which is being careful about the issue is inherently siding with china, or that every other company should let their users use them for political purposes. isn't that kind of selfish of you (and everyone else who thinks similarly) to expect others to cater to your demands?

are companies supposed to not be? how else would they make money? yes, there's a point where its excessively selfish and at the detriment of users, but you really haven't put down a convincing case explaining why in general companies should let users use their platform for anything they want to say.

blizzard definitely is outing themselves as interested in the chinese market more than "the right thing", but that doesn't mean every other company which is being careful about the issue is inherently siding with china, or that every other company should let their users use them for political purposes. isn't that kind of selfish of you (and everyone else who thinks similarly) to expect others to cater to your demands?

This has to be the worst opinion on the history of the internet. Do you still show your support when companies are led by child enthusiasts? No company should favor an oppressive totalitarian government. Favoring the collective material over the collective people is the most soulless thing a person can do. People are losing their freedoms by lobbyist companies and greedy jewish bankers controlling the press and the media and you're worried that one of those companies are losing MONEY?!

part of the contract for being in official blizzard streams(?) is no soapboxing. if pushing a political agenda isn't soapboxing i can't say i know what is.

you don't have to think blizzard did what was right (i don't) to understand the contract the guy signed on for. he should've been kicked off if he made any political statement.

also i've gotta say i don't want real politics in loving video games. i dont care that karthus had his face covered because the chinese don't like skulls and i don't care that they changed hecarim's armor to appease china. the minute i have to deal with politics in competitive video games where politics doesn't have a place beyond whatever fictional events take place in the game is the minute the video game is no longer a video game and is a stuffty political agenda.

This has to be the worst opinion on the history of the internet. Do you still show your support when companies are led by child enthusiasts? No company should favor an oppressive totalitarian government. Favoring the collective material over the collective people is the most soulless thing a person can do. People are losing their freedoms by lobbyist companies and greedy jewish bankers controlling the press and the media and you're worried that one of those companies are losing MONEY?!
you're missing the point - as kongo said, its about letting your product be used as a soapbox. its not about the company's beliefs/company leadership's beliefs, its about other people using the company to spread their views.

if you were running a store, are you morally wrong for not letting protesters/activists stand in your shop entrance and loudly demanding all your customers to join their cause?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:31:42 PM by Conan »

Somehow, in this world, grey areas exist.

Comparing Blizzard with a company run by child enthusiasts is a very bad example in multiple ways as well.
If a company would be led by child enthusiasts, that would be bad and i would be in favor of them being removed from that position, but that does not mean the entire company is inherently bad.
I mean sure, you gotta think twice about the decision that the leaders would take, but anything that is done by people in the company whom are not child enthusiasts are not necessarily acting in that way.

Also the situation at hand is that Blizzard is not run by the Chinese government, but they have a big stake in the Chinese market which influences their decisions.
No conspiracy there. Just acting on profit sake. Which is... not very strange for a company to do. People trying to make a living there.
Does that mean acting the way they did is good? No, not really. But they are not directly controlled by the Chinese.

Another thing i wonder is what Jewish bankers have to do with this whole thing?
QUICK-EDIT:
if you were running a store, are you morally wrong for not letting protesters/activists stand in your shop entrance and loudly demanding people to join their cause?
Actually, i would say it is a grey area really. You would certainly not be helping them in their cause, which might be obstructing something good from happening, but on the same time, you would be in your right to ask them to leave and if they don't, act with appropriate measures for obstructing you from doing your work.
What is right and wrong becomes a bit of a mess in that scenario and that is why we have laws and rules in place that help to find out whom is more in their right then the other.

But yeah, using a company/product as soapbox is overall not cool man. If they would accept it, what stop others from using them/their product as soapbox for other causes?
Who will determine when it is okay to do so and when not? It just becomes a right mess. To prevent that, there are rules and they can and will act accordingly.
The problem here is that the rules Blizzard has in place are very open to interpretation and they can decide when to apply it and when not basically, which leaves room for a wrong interpretation of their actions or in some cases, leaves room for them abusing the rules for the wrong purposes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:24:17 PM by lordician »

Ha, you just tried to lick a 3d model! You fool!
pm'ing this to me just confirms you also aren't arguing in good faith either. i wonder if you would still say the same stuff you are saying if you owned a company that's being targeted similar to how riot/blizzard is.

Morality over profit. Having good morals makes a good company, bad morals makes a bad company. There is no neutral. Being neutral is being automatically bad to both sides, and it makes you look like a coward.

pm'ing this to me just confirms you also aren't arguing in good faith either. i wonder if you would still say the same stuff you are saying if you owned a company that's being targeted similar to how riot/blizzard is.

Are you gonna lick it or not? If I owned a company, I would make sure I bend no knees to the government.

If I owned a company, I would make sure I bend no knees to the government.
That is a nice idea, however, your company will have to make do with existing laws and rules that come from the government.
Otherwise, it will be closed down really fast.
Morality over profit. Having good morals makes a good company, bad morals makes a bad company. There is no neutral. Being neutral is being automatically bad to both sides, and it makes you look like a coward.
That is a very negative way to think about it, but alright.

If I owned a company, I would make sure I bend no knees to the government.
"paying taxes is for chumps"
curious how fast you'll go to jail for that
also pretty sure they will use force if necessary