Author Topic: have any of you successfully quit nicotine  (Read 3260 times)

i am a dumbforget as you can imagine and started using around 3 years ago when impulsive tendencies and a high amount of stress came up. it's expensive as hell and im tired of how dependent I am on it. obviously most of you don't use but for the ones that have and quit, please share any advice you got I would really appreciate a personal one on one.

I quit for 2 months a year back. the cravings and headaches were manageable and i didn't have much issue with them. the thing that really got me was this constant brain fog that gave me an overall lack of concentration and inability to talk in social situations, stuff like that.

if you got any advice on quitting i would appreciate it because im at a point where the stuff I know from a rational perspective just doesn't make sense anymore. I need to grow the forget up. and really tho if you think this is funny or stuff insult and tease the forget out of me because in this case negative pressure is positive
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:53:38 PM by Damp »

I'm on and off nonstop, the only way I managed to quit once was to find another habit, but even then emotions get in the way and then I'm back to where I started. It's a tough journey my friend, I wish you good luck on managing to quit.

I quit for months at a time several times before I quit for the long haul (haven't had nicotine for over two years.)

It is not gonna be easy no matter what path you take. The most success I had was cold turkey. I also had some success weaning myself off with vapes but it didn't last. I quit cold turkey and basically stayed in my room for a couple of weeks as to not tempt myself with outside stimulus. Drinking alcohol would drastically increase my desire to have nicotine. Hope this helps somehow.

so should I try to isolate myself? I feel like that would help in the short term but I can't just avoid outside stimulus forever

really tho, I appreciate the advice. all of my friends as much as I love them either don't use or tell me they plan to quit when they're older. it's good to hear the refreshing perspectives

so should I try to isolate myself? I feel like that would help in the short term but I can't just avoid outside stimulus forever
My isolation just lasted while the withdrawal was hitting me. Eventually I reintroduced myself once I felt like I was ready. I have a lot of friends that smoke, and at the time I also had roommates that smoke, so the best option for me was to just stay in my room for the most part to avoid temptation.  This method might not be good for everyone, it is just what helped me. There are a lot of options that don't involve cold-turkey nicotine withdrawals.

no but i unsuccessfully quit every week

for me i like the lightheaded feeling of smoking and vaping when i wake up to make me pass out for a min. but everytime i smoke i feel it less and less until smoking doesn't feel like anything anymore. at that point i just get bored and abstain for a few weeks so that when i hit it again it'll be good

never started it
grandma still smokes even tho its forgeted her lungs up a lot

seek help and do what ya can to stop

dont let those bastards make money off of death

Its important not to beat yourself up over your addiction. It'll feed into it and just drive you deeper into the addiction... Set realistic goals for yourself like smoking one less than you normally do or something like that. Alternatively there are lots of patches and gums that you can take to help take the edge off your cravings, have you considered or tried that?

I've smoked for over 10 years and I've quit numerous times in-between. It's tough! The first 2 days are the worst. The first time I actually quit was not by choice it was by force as I was in jail for a short amount of time and the specific county I was locked up in didn't allow the buying of cigarettes from commissary. To be honest though if not for that experience I don't know if I would have ever tried by choice to quit. I was able to taste food more clearly and just felt all around healthier. All the times I quit weather by choice or not generally lasted anywhere from a few days to a few months but for some reason I always end up going back :/

I don't specifically know if you are talking about smoking or vaping? One way I cut back on cigs is by rolling my own. You save money and a bag of tobacco and tubes lasts a while, for me about a month. I used to smoke a pack or sometimes 2 a day when I was buying name brand packs. Now I only buy sun dried natural tobacco and use a machine to roll my own and I'm down to about half a pack to a pack a day. So like 10-20 cigs a day, varying. Some days maybe I'll only smoke 8 all day and the next day maybe 25 i don't really keep specific count. Another thing is that I don't roll up a bunch of cigs and put them in a pack unless I'm actually going somewhere. Something about having a pack readily available just pull a cig out and light it makes people smoke more. For me, if I'm at home and I'm craving a smoke I actually have to walk into my room and use the machine to roll one. Out of laziness or just busy doing something else I won't get around to it until later sometimes I even forget so it's been hours and I wonder why I'm feeling so antsy.

I vaped for about a year but for me it just wasn't the same as a real cigarette so it took some getting used to. With vaping a general idea to reduce nicotine intake is to slowly ween yourself off of it. So each time you get new juice or pods for your vape try going for a slightly lower nic level each time until you finally reach 0 nicotine - that's how one of my buddies quit smoking (and nicotine all together)

Its important not to beat yourself up over your addiction. It'll feed into it and just drive you deeper into the addiction... Set realistic goals for yourself like smoking one less than you normally do or something like that. Alternatively there are lots of patches and gums that you can take to help take the edge off your cravings, have you considered or tried that?
the bold letters are great advice. However I would highly recommend that you DO NOT try patches or gum or anything else of the like. All they do is make you dependent on another form of nicotine. I tried them before and not only do they make you feel like stuff they don't even work, you still get that smoking/vaping style of craving like actually puffing on something. The gum is absolutely disgusting too by the way, lol.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:44:07 PM by Goth77 »

I haven't had any nicotine in like 8 months. I quit cold turkey personally, but it wasn't easy.

I haven't had any nicotine in like 8 months. I quit cold turkey personally, but it wasn't easy.
the most effective method in my opinion, just quit all together if you can. thats awesome apak

I quit for 3 months for some military training I had to do. If you have just something to do and keep you occupied, it's easier but for the first week it's really goddamn difficult. Of course, sitting at home all day quarantined or whatever kind of increases your boredom to drink or smoke. These days I still do it, but have (mostly) switched from cigarettes to occasional chewing tobacco. I've found that snus really gets rid of your craving for a cigarette but doesn't give you much of a nic buzz, plus that's probably the healthiest way of consuming nicotine from what I've heard.

wanting to quit is step one. you've already got that down. i started vaping like a buffoon over 2 years ago and it's been eating at me since i started. never thought it'd be an issue. i've tried quitting several times, cold turkey & lowering nic %, but always end up coming back, and quarantine is making it way worse. i haven't successfully quit, but those times that i tried to quit, i don't think i was ready to, and now that covid19 is going on, it made me especially aware of my health, so once gyms reopen, my plan is to go everyday, and kick the habit of vaping once i can get myself in that motivated mindset.

one thing i can suggest is to eat more and eat healthier. the taste of food for me, fills the 'hole' that you try to fill with vaping. also if you are generally not a fit person, or if you don't work out a lot, just try to head towards that lifestyle more. you'll see progress in yourself, and you'll feel guilty for 'reversing' your progress - not that vaping necessarily makes you fatter or anything, but the thought of bringing harmful substances into your body should feel more disgusting.

another thing i also considered (which i think is a terrible idea now) was to buy one of these
a container that you can't open until a timer has gone off. so you hit your nic a couple times, put it in there, and wait. start with lower times, then raise it as you continue trying to quit. 1 hour to 2, to 4, to 8, whatever. but i think it's a bad idea because knowing me, i'd say forget the timer and take the batteries out of the box.

if you're waking up every morning with cottonmouth, just try giving it a day or two. the lack of cottonmouth will feel amazing lol
& like others have said, just keep yourself occupied. i found my addiction to be moreso based on the act of vaping, not the vapor itself. i love the headrush but when you vape everday, that stuff doesn't hit ya very often.

nicotine loving sucks but at the same time, you can use it as a lesson. you went your whole life without doing it, you can return to that. it ain't easy, but you don't wanna be doing it for the rest of your life, so the best time to quit is now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:37:14 PM by Unwritten Calender »