Author Topic: Missing my own server's save file.  (Read 1749 times)

Can't believe I have to ask for this...

I used to host this "Ocaro Island" constantly on an old laptop for a while...and then the loving thing died. stuff won't boot up, and I'm hella forgeted if I have to use a super old save file.

It was this island thing, basically a huge island hub with a stuffload of activities. I was going to make it public someday...loving hate myself that I didn't do it recently.

This should be a good reference shot.

Did anybody happen to pass it by one day, check it out, and just save the world at all? Literally any piece of it would be insanely helpful, especially since the majority of the work from my most recent save versus the older one is on the main island almost exclusively.

II can get the assets back, that's not too hard of a chore. But I think the most recent save was literally only on the laptop itself.

you could always try hooking the laptop hard drive up to another pc as a secondary drive and see if you can access the save file that way

you could always try hooking the laptop hard drive up to another pc as a secondary drive and see if you can access the save file that way
you can do this and if it's dead run spinrite or testdisk or something

yeah. if your laptop is forgeted just get a sata to USB adapter (i dont know much about these things but i'd probably get the one that connects to two usb cables, because one is needed for both power and data) and get your old hard drive out of the old laptop

I always found recuva to be a great program for recovering stuff. The deep scan can take a while especially on a damaged disk but it does a good job at finding and recovering lost files for the most part. If some other component in the laptop is preventing it from booting but the hard drive is fine then you have nothing to worry about your data is still there, sometimes even a corrupt or missing operating system file can prevent your PC from booting but the personal files are usually still there.

do what trog said and try to find some sort of external usb to internal laptop HDD adapter if you need one. Find a way to make it a secondary and nab the .bls

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:27:43 AM by Goth77 »

I always found recuva to be a great program for recovering stuff. The deep scan can take a while especially on a damaged disk but it does a good job at finding and recovering lost files for the most part. If some other component in the laptop is preventing it from booting but the hard drive is fine then you have nothing to worry about your data is still there, sometimes even a corrupt or missing operating system file can prevent your PC from booting but the personal files are usually still there.

do what trog said and try to find some sort of external usb to internal laptop HDD adapter if you need one. Find a way to make it a secondary and nab the .bls

You can get SATA docks for this for like $20 online. I've had mine for years and it has saved me/family/friends on several occasions. You just mount the drive to the dock then connect the dock via USB and you're good to go.

believe me I would if it were so simple.

The problem with this is that I hosted the server on a hacked old school Chromebook, one that I installed a Linux distro on. And because Google wanted to make a snappy 16gb device, all the storage is on a soldered chip. So unless I get some amazing data recovery personnel to access the thing via some complex scenario, there's no way to recover the data....also the CPU seems busted, somehow. Just clarifying that there's probably no way to boot the stuff.

oof damn yeah I'm not too sure about how to go recovering it from a broken chromebook. I am sorry this has happened to you D:

a valuable lesson in backing up your stuff

a valuable lesson in backing up your stuff
Guess so. I only hope that someone has done it for me lol

That said there is another laptop I might have the data on, as I received an upgrade a while ago to a real laptop, and was thinking about server-hosting on that one. Problem is THAT one died too, but at least it's on an m.2. I can't plug it into my MB apparently, so I have to wait until I finally upgrade my PC to check it out. It's still trivial, and I'm hoping somebody can save my ass before I have so save my own. No rush though as it's only been an eternity since I've actually had players on my server.

I loving FOUND IT YEEEEEEEEEEEEES

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god im so loving happy.
I had a file from last year named "Public Test.BLS", I can't confirm it has everything as I gotta get all the add-ons back in a BL config, but I atleast got my 400 hours of constant building back. God damn.

Anywho, I'm going to need some help for now. How would I, see all the add-ons in a .bls save? I'll look in the forums soon for an answer, but if anybody knows for the time being let me know. If anybody wants the save file to check it out, honestly I'd be willing to release it for the sake of preservation.
nvm, just got it. https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=308975.0
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:13:43 PM by speeddog73 »