Why would anyone still use a record player?

Author Topic: Why would anyone still use a record player?  (Read 1989 times)

the only reason I collect vinyls is because some of my favorite albums have been compressed up the ass over the years and vinyls are immune to that stuff
it really depends on how the music was mastered. a highly compressed digital recording can be pressed to vinyl and then you have the exact same problem. almost every modern album is a digital master regardless of whether it's on vinyl or CD. for example, I've got CDs from the 80s that are less compressed than remasters from the 2000s.

I've been collecting records for about 3ish years now and I do prefer to use my record player at home than a speaker with Spotify unless it's new music which I don't own on record.
It has a distinguishably different sound to it than other mediums do and I love having a more tactile music experience along with the sound difference.

i'll admit, i collect records. do i play them EVERY day? no. do i prefer them over CDs? yes.

i pay for spotify and primarily listen to it, but when i really obsess about a particular artist i end up slowly buying their discography.

recently i've gone on a dumb quest to obtain a copy of a super rare avalanches record, "undersea community." last fall i ended up finally getting that record FROM JAPAN shipped to me.

it's gotten to the point for me where i hit 80+ of these plastic discs and i haven't bought many due to the fact i really just don't have time to go to the local book store or record store and hunt.

hell, i found bottomless pit (death grips) at a secondhand DVD shop with newer selection of repressings and modern releases. for me at this point, it's like when i want a glass of fine wine forsay, i pick a record out from my shelf, brush it off, drop the needle, and sit back with my headphones on.

tbh didn't read like 80% of this thread, but the whole idea of preference is odd to me, I have vinyl because that's all of what I had one point in my life, same goes for cassettes. I have music on just about every medium possible, but that's the perk/downside of living in an ever so quickly advancing technological world. I think it's really goofy that people CHOOSE to use the older formats over the newer ones and spend more money doing so for the same exact thing, because as I said, it wasn't really a matter of choice at one point in time. My (potentially unhinged) thought process equates this to a person choosing to light candles for their home over using light bulbs or choosing to use a pager coupled with landline instead of a standard smartphone. There's probably dozens of brown townogies but i'm handicapped so I don't expect anyone to see my point of view lmaooooo

But to reiterate, I'm talking about (for a constant/control) a person that HAS no music player/medium choosing an older format. Obviously for my case and a lot of others, I already spent a decent amount of money on equipment for older formats so I have ZERO need to upgrade anything if all my favorite albums/singles are all found in my collection of miscellaneous formats. Worst comes to worst, I've already converted most if not all of my collection (including rare/one time prints/releases) into a digital lossless format. For me it's honestly easier in a lot of ways to just load up a vinyal/cassette/cd/minidisk from the comfort of my listening area/living room. But when I'm at my desk and I want to listen to music of course it's just as easy to open up JetAudio and listen to my entire library off of my media server on my home network.

Despite my confusion about people wanting to make it harder on themselves to play music with older equipment: music is still music, and it's beautiful how it's evolved in such a way to where you can not only express yourself with the type and genre of music you listen to but even with just the medium you use to play it back on.

i dont prefer vinyl to digital, i mostly use my phone to play through speakers but ive picked up around like 20 records in the last 3 years which i play on a record player my dad found broken and fixed

cuz its cool and some people enjoy the aesthetic

this is like asking why people go to museums when theres just pictures of all the art online

-
that's pretty sick honestly (i had to double check you meant the same avalanches lol), i picked up my wildflower record in ann arbor and my SILY at a reckless in chicago

it's the original pressing, so rather than the new ones lazy replacement of samples, it comes with the originals

ugh i love these albums i have a wildflower poster on my wall

i loving love records now they're loving awesome take back everything i said

I wish my 8 tracks hadn't broken though, now all I've got is some Christmas hits and I am not buying more, those forgeters are more expensive than records

I just really really really want Avril Lavigne Let Go on DataPlay

the emphasis on how 'vintage' it is isn't really the point, at least for me anyways
digital albums are great and i also have spotify, but they're prone to being restricted based on country, licensing and distribution laws, etc, and are subject to change
much like CDs, having my favorite records on vinyl is a more permanent ownership of that record which can't be revoked from me or altered from how i know and like it
and while i own CDs as well as vinyl records, vinyl are still in a phase of resurgent popularity while cds have mostly fallen to the wayside since the late 2000s-- they're still able to be bought and read and i still do, but if the laser in the disc reader is faulty, the cd is worthless
the same could be said of the needle in a record player, but replacing those (both in cost and physical labor) is less technical and intensive, and most vinyl records tend to be the baseline for what CDs and digital format music are based on anyways (that or the increasingly outdated and studio-maintained tape recordings)