2020/05/20 - Blockland r2023-r2031

Author Topic: 2020/05/20 - Blockland r2023-r2031  (Read 96681 times)

-snip-
Try turning fast packets off, not sure that'll fix it but its helped me in the past with my dedicated server.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:43:50 PM by Gautier00 »

My plan is to allow linking your BLID to your steam account using your forum email.  It will have to be checked vs a white list of email domains though because there are a large number forum accounts registered with one time use/public emails.  Will this work for you?

This should work for me, I have access to the email I used for this account. I'll keep an eye on this thread, thanks.

not sure how possible this is, but if everyone's gonna be stuck with a single username, or if a periodic namechange becomes a thing, then can we possibly change our names on the forums, so you know, people who want one name don't have to have 2 from forums to blid, if we're implementing a more permanent solution? Even if it's just one time we're allowed to.

point being like, you don't know how many times that I've had to figure out who the forget somebody was on the forums versus the  in-game. It would be nice to finally stop that confusion.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:32:30 PM by speeddog73 »

Try turning fast packets off, not sure that'll fix it but its helped me in the past with my dedicated server.
meddling around with any network settings doesn't seem to fix this, might be because I'm hosting it from the same PC, but I doubt most hosts don't have something dedicated like that, and probably dont run into this issue

meddling around with any network settings doesn't seem to fix this, might be because I'm hosting it from the same PC, but I doubt most hosts don't have something dedicated like that, and probably dont run into this issue
Any custom playertypes being used?

The solution right now is to either disable add-ons with custom animated player models (bots, playertypes, bot vehicles); or, disable fast packets on the server end to mitigate the issue (you probably disabled it on your client, not the server). If you do the latter, the issue may still occur, just much less often.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:57:57 PM by Pecon »

The solution right now is to either disable add-ons with custom animated player models (bots, playertypes, bot vehicles); or, disable fast packets on the server end to mitigate the issue (you probably disabled it on your client, not the server). If you do the latter, the issue may still occur, just much less often.
I disabled a lot of stuff and it seems to work now. Guess it was unrelated to the updates, but it's the first time I've had the error. weird.

Badspot

• Administrator
I'm going to have to officially drop Mac support. 
  • I have a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini running OSX 10.6.8, which seems to be the latest version supported.
  • The build of subversion included does not support whatever version of https my svn host is using now, so I can't even check out my source code.
  • I looked into updating subversion.  The homebrew package manager requires OSX 10.13.  I tried Macports, the binary installer finished, then nothing happened, the "port" command doesn't work, I don't know how to move forward.  I'm sure this can be solved some how but it's not easy.
  • Once I actually get my code checked out, the chances of it compiling are basically zero because I updated the steam SDK. 
  • Steam does not run on OSX 10.6 anymore, so even if I got my code compiling I wouldn't be able to test it.
  • I could buy a new mac, but in addition to being very expensive, they run OSX Catalina.  Catalina does not support 32 bit apps like Blockland.  Converting to 64 bit is not simple.  I'm sure they've also changed their platform api because they love doing that.
  • Blockland uses openGL.  OpenGL was deprecated in OSX 10.14, and it will likely be removed completely in the near future.  Developing an openGL app on Catalina is probably a huge pain in the ass.
  • Bottom Line: I would have to go dumpster diving for some medium rare old-but-not-too-old mac and hack on stuff for weeks just to get squeeze a few more months of life out of a platform that actively hates its own customers and hates video games.

Press F for all Mac users. This is a sad day, rip.

haha dumb mac users are dead hahahahaha die jam jar die noob die

MacInCloud is nice for situations like this. Definitely takes care of most of the items on that list. I don’t believe Apple plans to actually remove OpenGL support until they start pushing ARM Macs, which won’t be their entire lineup. There’s no changes in actually developing with OpenGL on Catalina other than just compiler warnings.

But all that taken care of, 32-bit to 64-bit conversion alone is still a huge pain.

some additional solutions:
boot camp - macs come with an official apple utility that allows you to dual boot windows with your mac and therefore easily run windows programs including blockland.
virtual machine - ive tested windows using vmware fusion and its possible to run blockland through it as 3d acceleration is supported. parallels desktop or some other thing may also work but i havent tested those. you may need to obtain a product key to use these.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:42:46 AM by Mr Queeba »

dae linux port when??????????????

I'm going to have to officially drop Mac support. 
  • I looked into updating subversion.  The homebrew package manager requires OSX 10.13.  I tried Macports, the binary installer finished, then nothing happened, the "port" command doesn't work, I don't know how to move forward.  I'm sure this can be solved some how but it's not easy.
  • I could buy a new mac, but in addition to being very expensive, they run OSX Catalina.  Catalina does not support 32 bit apps like Blockland.  Converting to 64 bit is not simple.  I'm sure they've also changed their platform api because they love doing that.
  • Blockland uses openGL.  OpenGL was deprecated in OSX 10.14, and it will likely be removed completely in the near future.  Developing an openGL app on Catalina is probably a huge pain in the ass.
Gotta love what Tim Cuck's doing to aaaaall those legacy programs. And yet they have the audacity to charge $10000 for a computer that'll be outdated in 3 years.

RIP mac users- run Windows 10 through Bootcamp (or maybe WineHQ would work?)

I don’t believe Apple plans to actually remove OpenGL support until they start pushing ARM Macs, which won’t be their entire lineup. There’s no changes in actually developing with OpenGL on Catalina other than just compiler warnings.
You do realize we're talking about the same "Apple" that dropped the AUX port on the smartphone in 2016, right? Those greedy starfishs don't give a single forget about longevity, they'll intentionally forget up their own products (batterygate lol) just to get people to buy new stuff. They "innovate" in the most ass-backwards way possible, by forcing everyone to use a non-modern platform with nothing but a giant middle-finger to hand out to developers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:12:00 PM by speeddog73 »

Gotta love what Tim Cuck's doing to aaaaall those legacy programs. And yet they have the audacity to charge $10000 for a computer that'll be outdated in 3 years.

RIP mac users- run Windows 10 through Bootcamp (or maybe WineHQ would work?)
Run Linux with dual boot, and then run Blockland through wine.
No I am not joking, this might be the best way to run Blockland and potentially any game that requires OpenGL on a mac without having to pay for anything.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:06:18 PM by joe411 »