[NEWS] Take-Two cancels contract with developer then tries poaching entire team.

Author Topic: [NEWS] Take-Two cancels contract with developer then tries poaching entire team.  (Read 1336 times)

WAIT KSP2??? NOOOOOOOOO WHAT THE forgetKK

actually its not that bad, they just became a subsidiary of Take-Two now. what happened is Private Division basically pulled a hostile takeover. since Star Theory, the studio making KSP2, didn't have enough marketable intellectual property worth acquiring, there was no point in Take-Two buying them. so they poached the team and acquired KSP2.

in most ways, this whole action is a blessing for the employees of the now-nonexistent Star Theory/Uber Entertainment. they have a bigger salary, more security, and more tools and funding at their disposal to develop KSP2. but in some ways, they now have to work under a publisher superpower and are subject to its demands. it's like if your mom-and-pop shop got bought out by mcdonalds and they decided to promote you all. you lost your freedom to expand as a private business but now make 3x more a year

the ones that didn't join Take-Two were probably unhappy with that whole 'i now work for a video game market giant' or something. still if they had stayed they'd be making a lot more money
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 02:08:47 PM by PhantOS »

you lost your freedom to expand as a private business but now make 3x more a year
do u have any kind of source for that. game developers are not well-paid, certainly not by big corporate development companies

do u have any kind of source for that. game developers are not well-paid, certainly not by big corporate development companies
the number is arbitrary, but they do make more. take-two promised a higher salary

Take Two? I'll Take none, thanks.

What a stuffty thing to do.

Ksp2 is still being worked on by half of the original team, so if you boycott this you'll just be hurting the actual developers, not take-two's private division

Ksp2 is still being worked on by half of the original team, so if you boycott this you'll just be hurting the actual developers, not take-two's private division
Ksp2 is not really a game I'd buy tbh. But I have bought other T2 games in the past, and would've been likely to buy more in the future.

But not anymore.

But not anymore.
im not going to make you or convince you to buy games you don't want to buy, but keep in mind that most of the larger-budget games you play on a daily basis were designed by poached employees or a studio that was merged into a parent company at some point. 'poach' and 'cancel' are pretty negative words so its easy to be turned off by this whole decision but in the end they're synonymous with 'acquire'. this kind of hostile takeover happens way too frequently, but it's not always a bad thing. in some cases the game can receive even more funding, usually after costs are cut in unnecessary areas (notably impractical positions, which result in mass layoffs)

game studios specialize in making games, but game publishers specialize in making money. usually they're pretty good at making decisions that save money without compromising the quality or integrity of the game. the biggest threat to the game and its developers isn't poaching or cancelled contracts, but rather people who boycott the parent company because they think it's unethical to support them. when you think with that mindset, then every subsidiary under them is going to feel the loss of sales, and many honest, hard working game developers employed there will eventually lose their job due to cut costs and lack of sales. eventually they'll be forced to work at a smaller independent studio (usually) for a lower salary with less benefits.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:57:17 AM by PhantOS »

Squad notoriously underpaid and overworked the devs on KSP 1 so while I still think take 2 sucks ass it's not all bad.