Mastodon | an Email system, but for Social Media

Author Topic: Mastodon | an Email system, but for Social Media  (Read 2280 times)

Mastodon is full of child enthusiasts.

"hey guys heres a stuffty left wing alternative to the most handicapped website ever designed by man"

Nah, I'm good handicap.
hi good handicap

it's been alive for the past 4 years
it will die in a few months then

man dont even get me started on supersuit12s stuff on one of those loving mastodon things his stuff is out of pocket on so many levels

man dont even get me started on supersuit12s stuff on one of those loving mastodon things his stuff is out of pocket on so many levels

Supersuit12? stuff I forgot he even existed. I need a quick rundown

Supersuit12? stuff I forgot he even existed. I need a quick rundown
well pretty much hes now a transmission and goes under sunset moth and he also has a noncon special interest
oh hes also apparently making some love game or some stuff

Is tvhis this fury app

the problem with this is that even though everyone knows twitter is dogstuff none of these servers for this explain what the site is in a non-technobabble way  so nobody that isn't a nerd will use them

i'm... not gonna lie, i still don't get how this works. something about servers and diversification and communities

i'm... not gonna lie, i still don't get how this works. something about servers and diversification and communities

Basically, like email, there are server hosts and clients.
A server host being the place where all the accounts and data are stored, and clients being the system in which the user can access any server host, and allow a user to log into an account.

Usually the two come together, and usually in that case the client will only allow you to log into the same accounts as the host it was made for, but it will let you see posts from anyone.

Like how typically Yahoo email and Yahoo email access only allows you to get into a Yahoo email accounts, and recieve emails from anywhere.

These clients can be desktop applications or in browser systems. Basically you can get to it from either a website that supports it or from an app. Think Gmail vs mozilla firebird. In the desktop app variation, usually this will allow you to log into any account, not just one host's account.

And you can import and export your posts. Say you're getting off of mastodon and moving to another account. You can export your posts as a text document and upload them on the other account.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:18:25 AM by Master Matthew² »

Basically, like email, there are server hosts and clients.
A server host being the place where all the accounts and data are stored, and clients being the system in which the user can access any server host, and allow a user to log into an account.

Usually the two come together, and usually in that case the client will only allow you to log into the same accounts as the host it was made for, but it will let you see posts from anyone.

Like how typically Yahoo email and Yahoo email access only allows you to get into a Yahoo email accounts, and recieve emails from anywhere.

These clients can be desktop applications or in browser systems. Basically you can get to it from either a website that supports it or from an app. Think Gmail vs mozilla firebird. In the desktop app variation, usually this will allow you to log into any account, not just one host's account.

And you can import and export your posts. Say you're getting off of mastodon and moving to another account. You can export your posts as a text document and upload them on the other account.
do you have to create an account for each server?

arent client/server models still a centralized system? i thought the appeal was it was decentralized?