how do u learn 2 drive

Author Topic: how do u learn 2 drive  (Read 1495 times)

I can't tell if you're asking how to obtain a permit, or if you're asking us to teach you to drive. I've never lived in Florida, but in Missouri, I just had to answer 20 questions correctly and they just hand me one. They then want you to receive 40 hours of instruction (by having any random human being age 21+ in the passenger seat), with 10 of those hours being nighttime driving. I carefully logged all the instruction hours and went to go get my license two years later, and they didn't even check how much time I logged. Did another written test, vision test, and driving test and I was good to go with a license.

Now I have a CDL and drive semi trucks, and at 24 years old have run about 350,000 miles or more behind the wheel, so I dare say that what comes out of my mouth could be considered professional opinion (/endnarcissism). Besides reading what is in drivers ed, pay especially close attention to the following rules and you will instantly be 20,000 leagues more experienced than most drivers on the road:

1. On divided highways (where a median separates you from oncoming traffic), the left lane is for passing slower cars. Stay in the right lane until you come up on a slower traveling car, use your turn signal to indicate, check your blind spot, move left, pass slower car in a timely manner, turn signal again, check blind spots, move right.

The only times you should be driving in the left lane and NOT passing cars is if:

>You are about to make a left turn or left exit.
>There is a vehicle with flashing lights (i.e. tow truck, police car, or even civilian vehicle hazard lights) or some sort of incident on the right shoulder/right lane.
>Construction has closed the right lane.

2. When entering a free-flowing highway, it's your job to figure out how to merge. If traffic is traveling 70mph, you must merge at 70mph (or faster, I won't judge). Do not expect traffic to hit the brakes or move over to let you in, because not only is that not the rules, but you're putting yourself at risk of an accident and self preservation is awesome. Some nice people might move over if they can, but it's not always possible.

3. Ideally, don't pass anyone on the right side, especially semi trucks. Of course, there are plenty of morons in all vehicles who will drive in the left lane for no damn reason, and sometimes if you're trying to get somewhere, you have no choice. BUT, if a semi truck moves over for say, a tow truck operator, and you're too impatient to wait three seconds for the semi truck to move to the right lane and blast around his blind side putting yourself, the tow truck operator, and the semi truck driver's job on the line, please continue going 90mph into a brick wall.

Anyway, you'll probably learn plenty of common courtesies from others along the way and make plenty of mistakes like we all have/will do. Just don't be ignorant and be safe out there. Good luck!

XR-7 where in Missouri? You near KC or STL?
More on topic, talk with people who just got their license, the written part for permits is always easier and is just eye sight, sign recognition, and laws of the road. It's all in your local DMVs manuals. I grew up in Missouri but didn't get my license till I moved to Kansas, stuff sucked.

I don't know how Florida is, but learning on backroads is always a good start, I did a lot of practice on some good old gravel and had some fun on them as well. If you can, learning stick or in a big vehicle is also an advantage, because the translation from big or stick to small or automatic is easy and helps build good size realization, I had that issue a lot when I first got my truck because it is way wider than my Rav4 was
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:03:40 AM by plad101 »

running into pedestrians gives you bonus points

oh hey heres another good golf cart story, one time i was trying to pull over to take a piss in the woods or something and my dumbass pulled into the grass RIGHT INTO A loving STORM DRAIN

or whatever those big depressions in the ground with a pipe in them are called

that stuff was loving scary but nothing was harmed or damaged except my loving confidence in myself lol

I'm too afraid to drive irl, but I hope i pass when I reach 11th grade

XR-7 where in Missouri? You near KC or STL?

I live in and drive trucks primarily around metro St Louis. Sometimes driving back and forth between Indiana or Memphis.

I live in and drive trucks primarily around metro St Louis. Sometimes driving back and forth between Indiana or Memphis.
I feel like most of the missouri BLers live in or near St Louis, I lived in Columbia for 18 years so I can't stand KC or STL, it's either small cities or even smaller towns for me.

First time I drove was in busy traffic during rush hour lol

Everyone learns differently, but I just drove around with my mom a stuff ton. Usually was the one driving when we ran errands.

Play Gran Turismo with the steering wheel, pedals, and gear shifter accessories.

I mostly learned from watching others. I never had drivers Ed or anything other than my grandpa who only had half a working body. Driving is fairly easy

I feel like most of the missouri BLers live in or near St Louis, I lived in Columbia for 18 years so I can't stand KC or STL, it's either small cities or even smaller towns for me.

I live only about 20 miles outside of St Louis. I can't even remember the last time I drove to St Louis when I wasn't working. Kansas City has a way better city experience in my opinion.

My dad let me learn by having me drive to go to the store, get shakes from sonic, park the car, drive our car whenever he bought/sold cars (I drove whenever he was driving the other car home / to the buyer), and let me drive myself to the actual driving tests n stuff

now I have my license, and the test itself was extremely easy, I aced parking on my first try LOL