what's your favorite/most hated trope or cliche in media?

Author Topic: what's your favorite/most hated trope or cliche in media?  (Read 861 times)

/title
my favorite is the whole "hey boss man, some one just beat up one of your best henchman. his name was 'main character' or something" and the big bad boss dude just starts slowly losing it

the worst one is this piece of stuff it's the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard

Wilhelm scream is a classic, the loving horror violin bullstuff is worse. It sounds like literally nails on a chalk board and ruins any tense a scene has for me since it's such an over used shock noise.

cliffhangers + completely serialized tv are terrible. it's baffling to me that this is what defines a "golden age of television," it's just a cheap freebie to get viewers to invest in your show until the moment they're done watching it and these shows will never live to be classic giants like procedurals or sitcoms

idk if you could call it a trope or a cliche but proper use of motif and leitmotif can bring a show from a 7 to a 10
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:47:11 PM by Drydess »

I loving hate plot conveniences and unsubtle exposition dumps.

the ending of ozark season 2

i have a love/hate relationship with movies ending with an abrupt musical number

on the other hand i seethe whenever i see a new cartoon that's just "thing and thing". you wouldn't believe how many shows there are with this exact name formula; a b c (this ones good but it fits the bill)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:03:20 PM by Nix the Glaceon »

dunno best but i loving hate it when a sci-fi/fantasy show/movie/book fails to have a sensible, continuous and generally logical magic/science system; i hate harry potter for how magic is basically plot device 2: the plotening.

also, forget the wilhelm scream. when did every movie turn into loving garfield

the antag is an unstoppable sociopathic monster with a unique power that allows him some ultimate moves that totally overshadow what everyone else does by far. the protag discovers they share the same power suddenly. the resulting clash kills hundreds of thousands, but good prevails. protag doesn't kill them for whatever reason despite the antag being built up to be a stuffbag and they either escape or get arrested

sci-fi where the sci-fi setting is only there so the writer can avoid explaining stuff. the most egregious examples tend to show overly optimistic or disgustingly shallow examples of outer space, and tend to explain away everything with science-y sounding terms. "yeah you should have died, but your Nano-Tech Quantum Mark V Black Hole Quasar Blaster Adaptive Hardsuit from Luna Corps. stopped you from being killed because of it's Graviton Honeycomb Forcefield Accelerator which repulses impurities on it's surface by redirecting the velocity imposed on it back towards the projectile" like bruh

the cliche where the main villain runs out of bullets/hesitates/does villainous monologue as soon as they "critically" wound the main character, allowing main character to recover and killum

like cmon man, kill the main character already, they spent the entire game/movie/novel/whatever trying to kill the motherforgeter and when they finally meet face to face they don't even do jackstuff, causing their inevitable (and predictable) death because they are the villain

sci-fi where the sci-fi setting is only there so the writer can avoid explaining stuff.

Digital Animators giving every main character the raised eyebrow look for the posters/title covers.

It's such a stupid look. "Hahaha look i'm the main character i'm so smart and slyyy hahaaaaaa hmmm hahaa yeahhhhh".

Musical stings for scares always tick me off. I can put up with a lot of tropes if the show is campy enough though.

zero stakes or danger to the stuff the movie characters are doing

99.99% of the time, you know the main character and their friends are gonna live and be happily ever after hahaha xd boring

When characters lose their plot armor to some bullstuff event, pushing the plot along by killing off a character through ways that could easily be prevented if it were normal gameplay and not a cutscene