U.S.A. Politics Thread

Poll

I have posted a possibility for the election outcome in 6 variations. Choose your preferred below.

A. https://i.imgur.com/F6TVPLY.png
8 (34.8%)
B. https://i.imgur.com/uuRmNcE.png
3 (13%)
C. https://i.imgur.com/JK2OSsA.png
1 (4.3%)
D. https://i.imgur.com/sl6MVas.png
2 (8.7%)
E. https://i.imgur.com/K1GHlD3.png
2 (8.7%)
F. https://i.imgur.com/br3Sp06.png
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: U.S.A. Politics Thread  (Read 235108 times)

Am I late for the furry megathread?

America's left-right all-or-nothing politics is what's causing the issue, not democrats or republicans.
Like, I hate open immigration/refugee laws since I saw what it did to the village I live in, but I don't want to die by medical bankruptcy.

So if I lived in the US I'm loving myself over either way by voting democrat OR republican. You need more parties in the government so I can actually vote on a party that is AGAINST immigration and FOR medicare (i.e. PVV in the Netherlands, one of 16 parties currently in the senate). This also makes it way too easy to set up people against eachother in an us-vs-them kind of way, where if you're not a republican, you are by definition a democrat (unless you're the 2% third party voter lmao). This also makes it so that if a party puts up an absolutely handicapped richardhead as their electable president, you are likely to vote for them anyways since 'you are a republican/democrat' and are voting for your party regardless. I can just vote for another party with similar political views but a more sensible candidate up for election instead. I.e. switch from FvD who's party leader revealed himself to be an antisemite anti-women idiot to Ja21 which has nearly the same views but with a much more professional and sensible guy at the wheel here in the Netherlands.

America's left-right all-or-nothing politics is what's causing the issue, not democrats or republicans.

So if I lived in the US I'm loving myself over either way by voting democrat OR republican. You need more parties in the government so I can actually vote on a party that is AGAINST immigration and FOR medicare. This also makes it way too easy to set up people against eachother in an us-vs-them kind of way, where if you're not a republican, you are by definition a democrat (unless you're the 2% third party voter lmao). This also makes it so that if a party puts up an absolutely handicapped richardhead as their electable president, you are likely to vote for them anyways since 'you are a republican/democrat' and are voting for your party regardless. I can just vote for another party with similar political views but a more sensible candidate up for election instead.
so much this, I totally agree with you.

the problem is first past the post voting which negates the ability for third parties to take the stage, as fragmenting either one of the major parties (or their voter base) will mean the remaining one will pretty much always win elections. unfortunately neither side has an incentive to change the voting system to ranked choice as it will weaken their current control/empower their opponent.

maybe if Annoying Orange starts his patriot party and it fragments the republican voter base, the republican party will push for ranked choice. id be down to support republicans over that specific issue.

the problem is first past the post voting which negates the ability for third parties to take the stage, as fragmenting either one of the major parties (or their voter base) will mean the remaining one will pretty much always win elections. unfortunately neither side has an incentive to change the voting system to ranked choice as it will weaken their current control/empower their opponent.

maybe if Annoying Orange starts his patriot party and it fragments the republican voter base, the republican party will push for ranked choice. id be down to support republicans over that specific issue.
Yeah.

But Ranked choice wouldn't work very well with the current system merged.

The electoral college is supposed to avoid just having select areas of the country ruling over the rest of the country.

But I think the biggest issue is that we put so much power in the hands of an individual at the center of the country.

Why do we not just have a elected representative head, who's only purpose is negotiating internationally.

The idea of having a leader of a country who has the most power is absurd and archaic as far as I'm concerned. The only real reason such people exist is to be the face of a nation.

We can have a face, which is only just a select congressional/senator and their only power is negotiating.

I get having one person to have the final say of a bill, yes or no. But the president holds way too much power.

Yeah.

But Ranked choice wouldn't work very well with the current system merged.

The electoral college is supposed to avoid just having select areas of the country ruling over the rest of the country.

But I think the biggest issue is that we put so much power in the hands of an individual at the center of the country.

Why do we not just have a elected representative head, who's only purpose is negotiating internationally.

The idea of having a leader of a country who has the most power is absurd and archaic as far as I'm concerned. The only real reason such people exist is to be the face of a nation.

We can have a face, which is only just a select congressional/senator and their only power is negotiating.

I get having one person to have the final say of a bill, yes or no. But the president holds way too much power.
Real question, are you feeling okay?

It wouldn't matter how many parties we had if we didn't hand power to the federal government, but people have allowed the centralization of power, eroded states' rights and the rise of social media and national news media have all but removed local politics from play. Now people think the only way to pass laws is through congress and it's so loving stupid. No one has any concept of civics anymore. Not like it matters at this point

It wouldn't matter how many parties we had if we didn't hand power to the federal government, but people have allowed the centralization of power, eroded states' rights and the rise of social media and national news media have all but removed local politics from play. Now people think the only way to pass laws is through congress and it's so loving stupid. No one has any concept of civics anymore. Not like it matters at this point
how are the powers centralized when congress or the senate can barely pass anything because so many people disagree

literally cities/states just make their own rules and the feds cant do stuff, see: the legalization of weed, sanctuary cities, medicare, etc.

the most amount of political power you can grab these days is in local legislatures, the stuff that gets passed in congress or the senate is mostly just show, what really matters is mayoral or state politics because that stuff impacts lives

like, I dont understand how you can point towards saying "california is a stuffhole" one day, and then the next day say "the feds have all the power" when 80% of the rules that make california a stuffhole are state laws and city bylaws

this is an incredibly frustrating take i've seen from left leaning people and right leaning ones as well, federal politics is loving meaningless at least 70% of the time and people malding when presidents dont change anything is dumb as forget.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:53:03 PM by Aide33 »

hey guys so uh here's how Annoying Orange can still win

damn all the uber conservative Annoying Orange roostersuckers turned ancom fsr.

yeah the us federal govt is pretty weak relatively speaking, most powers that directly affect people's lives really only exist on the state level. a lot of people still think of rights and progress as things thrown down to us from the top, and not things to be fought for from the many through grassroots movements. electoralism is an important tool that can be used to shift power balances more favorably, and i'd love to see our electoral system be modernized, but historically, they won't throw you the good bones unless you make some noise about it

liberals will make the mistake of getting comfortable with the biden presidency, but the fight is far from over

crazy how all those antifederalist apocalypse prophecies came true...right guys?