How do you get better at building?

Author Topic: How do you get better at building?  (Read 1974 times)

For example when I play in a freebuild server i want to make a house and then i see all of the luxurious houses other people built and then i just dont want to make a house because i know that its just gonna be a box house and it will suck.
Has anyone got any tips?

Learn from what you see, emulate it, then mold it into your own unique style

But more importantly, just take your time and experiment, try out some brick packs to help add detail where the default stuff can't

work your way up- don't try to make a grand luxurious house in one go if you're not confident in it

aside from that masterlegodude's got it

What I did was I would look up specific styles and build something based off of one image of a real building. Eventually whichever styles you practice you'll be able to recreate without having to use a reference image.

Try copying real life buildings first, you can learn a lot from that. It's always good to read a little more about architecture in general, just to familiarise yourself with some basic ideas. The most important of all is to not to sweat it too much, it's supposed to be fun!

Try copying real life buildings first
this. References help a ton.

If you need inspiration try building something you are really interested in or have experience off. For example I worked as a demolition worker at an old school that was being renewed and built a part of that trying to imagine what it would look like. Also I built some tractors and farming equipment cause I've seen a lot of them around where I live.

practice and references. eventually after 10 years like me you develop your own style but are able to build in any fashion. it really just comes to you

one thing i like to do is build something even though i know im stuff at building. then i identify what i hate so much about the build and work on improving and iterating on that, deleting and rebuilding parts of the build to try to get closer to what i want.

by embracing the destruction/restarting from scratch side of the creative process you can get better faster by avoiding getting stuck in building a certain way

A good start is to brown townyze existing builds for inspiration, especially the default ones.

by embracing the destruction/restarting from scratch side of the creative process you can get better faster by avoiding getting stuck in building a certain way
big tip here^

Thanks for the tips. I'll begin practicing when i got free time

also referencing from other builds. i learned a lot from old badspot's block parties

i just copied other people and irl lego moc's until i got good enough to freehand it