Add-ons may be lost - Mediafire sends warning emails

Author Topic: Add-ons may be lost - Mediafire sends warning emails  (Read 5414 times)

This is an urgent message to all Blocklanders that post their add-ons to MediaFire.

On May 11th, 2020, MediaFire updated their data retention policy.

"To be exceedingly clear, if you access your Free registered account from our Web or Mobile platforms, or any service using the MediaFire API once per eight (8) months, your account will never be considered abandoned or removed. Free unregistered accounts may be considered abandoned after fourteen (14) days of inactivity. Paid accounts, such as Personal, Professional, and Business customers, are never considered inactive while maintaining an active subscription.

Content is retained in accounts based on account activity and not individual file activity. What this means is your data does not have to be shared for your account to be considered active. Data is only removed when the account is considered completely inactive for a period of time.

If we are considering a registered account abandoned, we will send 2 emails, an initial and final notice, over 15 days urging the user to access their account. Accessing your account at that time through our Web or Mobile platforms, or through any MediaFire API enabled service will prevent removal. It is not possible to notify unregistered account users since no contact email address exists."

Data Retention Policies. (2020, May 11). Retrieved December 19, 2020, from https://www.mediafire.com/policies/data_retention.php

To summarize, MediaFire states that free registered accounts will be considered "abandoned" if no activity is detected for 8 months. They will send 2 warning emails over 15 days requesting that the user access their account. If the user does not, the account is deleted, along with its content.

January 11th, 2021 marks 8 months since the changes took place.
Many add-ons may potentially be lost.

Not all add-ons are posted to Blockland Glass. Some authors only post their add-ons to MediaFire. Those that do should receive an email warning that their account may be terminated if they remain inactive. Even so, there is no guarantee the owner of the account will respond in time.

If you have any add-ons on MediaFire, please backup your add-ons, and do at least one of the following:
  • find an alternative hosting service (such as Blockland Glass)
  • keep your MediaFire account active

I can already think of a few accounts that would probably be deleted, such as the one that hosts some rare and obscure add-ons by Str4tofortress.

A reminder to anyone who has created add-ons or anyone who is currently creating add-ons:
ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR FILES!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:06:44 PM by GrenadeSpammer »

I stumbled upon this news when I was searching for an archive of old Cartoon Network flash games I used to play as a kid, such as Harum Scarum. I had heard Cartoon Network had removed many of their old flash games, due to the fact that Adobe Flash will no longer be supported after December of this year. I then discovered this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/kfk455/psa_many_old_files_on_mediafire_will_be_deleted/

The topic linked to this twitter post:

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1339625133363912706

I quickly logged in and made a post as soon as I could to spread awareness.

aint like half the addons there on the archive anyway

aint like half the addons there on the archive anyway

I'm assuming you're talking about the RTB archive. Not every add-on made when RTB was still alive was posted there, for various reasons. After it shut down in 2014, many people started using MediaFire. That would mean that almost 7 years worth of add-ons are on MediaFire.

What's worse is that some add-on creators have left blockland, but left their add-ons on MediaFire. It's possible their accounts will be deleted due to lack of activity.

kenkos archive includes almost literally all the addons posted to the forums, so its unlikely he doesnt have addons hosted on mediafire. and iirc mediafire was a pretty much only used between 2008 and 2012 as post 2012 we had rtb and mediafire download pages went to stuff with ads, so people used sites like MEGA until glass came out.

probably can bug kenko to run through his forum archive with a script and download all mediafire links.

kenkos archive includes almost literally all the addons posted to the forums, so its unlikely he doesnt have addons hosted on mediafire. and iirc mediafire was a pretty much only used between 2008 and 2012 as post 2012 we had rtb and mediafire download pages went to stuff with ads, so people used sites like MEGA until glass came out.

probably can bug kenko to run through his forum archive with a script and download all mediafire links.

I knew Kenko had a save archive, but I did not know he had an add-on archive. It sounds incredibly helpful.

I took a look at it, and I was able to find the frag grenade that HellsHero and Khain made, which I had been looking for. I was even able to find the Combat Biplane and Combat Bomber vehicles I saw on that one dogfighting server. I couldn't believe all these rare and obscure add-ons were there.

Unfortunately, the last update to the archive appears to have been on February 15th, 2020. We'll have to contact Kenko and get him to update it before January 11th.

kenkos archive has build saves of a crpg i hosted when i was 12

kenkos archive has build saves of a crpg i hosted when i was 12

Crazy to think about.

Anyways, I noticed Kenko's archive has only one version of Weapon_Package_HK. There are two of them, one on Hostr.co, and the other on DropBox. The one on Hostr.co is the one most people use. I'm wondering if Kenko could somehow get his script to work with more than just MediaFire and DropBox.

Crazy to think about.

Anyways, I noticed Kenko's archive has only one version of Weapon_Package_HK. There are two of them, one on Hostr.co, and the other on DropBox. The one on Hostr.co is the one most people use. I'm wondering if Kenko could somehow get his script to work with more than just MediaFire and DropBox.
i may have the hostr.co version, what's the difference between the two?

I have both if anyone wants them. If the guns are not firing correctly do
Code: [Select]
deactivatepackage(raycastingFire);activatepackage(raycastingFire);

Weapon_Package_HK
Weapon_Package_HKExtend

i may have the hostr.co version, what's the difference between the two?

The one on DropBox has only 7 weapons, and is more of a Tier Tactical version. The guns have basic names like "sniper rifle," "assault rifle," and so on.

The one on Hostr.co is the one most people use, with weapons that actually exist, such as the AUG, M16A3, M60E4, and more.

HK.zip

Contains both versions

edit: I didn't test these

edit2: im blind didn't see they got posted already
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:04:56 AM by c[_] »

The one on DropBox has only 7 weapons, and is more of a Tier Tactical version. The guns have basic names like "sniper rifle," "assault rifle," and so on.

The one on Hostr.co is the one most people use, with weapons that actually exist, such as the AUG, M16A3, M60E4, and more.
to expand on this: the initial version only supports reloading and is basically a bunch of raycast weapons that fall under different power tiers, but otherwise function exactly the same. the “dropbox” one was an attempt to remake the pack from the ground up to differentiate weapon classes more and add things like bipod deployment and attachables and toggleable ironsights but never got past the pre alpha stage