Should you release your private addons??

Author Topic: Should you release your private addons??  (Read 8836 times)

private add-ons will come out when bl source code comes out

basically never or not now
bl’s source code has been public for ages, its the engine thats still technically closed source

I released all of my private add-ons 3 years ago

There are three types of private add-ons that I know of:

1 - You have an unfinished mod that is not in a stable state to be released, which can lead to glitches or even crashes in the game, and you don't have the time or want to finish the project, so it's often abandoned.

2 - You have an add-on in the works that you're taking your time to develop so it can be released when it's ready, until then it can be considered private before it goes public.

3 - You have a fully functional mod that not only works perfectly in-game, it's also fully finished and ready to be publicly available, but you want to keep it for yourself and for a select group of players.

if someone were to release stratofortress' stuff then maybe.

Hoarding good tech is lame and goofy but Blocklanders are also extremely loving obnoxious and will break your add-on and then come scream at you like you killed their dog and forgeted their wife, which makes me not want to put out unfinished stuff. Also, first impressions matter(ed) a lot, in my experience if someone has a bad experience with your mod they'll just ditch it and are unlikely to ever come back to it even if you fix it

at some point i released all the misc. projects i had worked on over the years, and toward the end everything serious i worked on was open-source. the main exception i can think of is a server management utility that was highly specialized to a private hosting thing i was doin with friends, which would have been a pretty big risk to make public considering i was like 2 years old and didn't know anything about security

imagine keeping addons private for like almost a 20 year old game now.

I think it's time to release them I did

bl’s source code has been public for ages, its the engine thats still technically closed source
https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D

https://github.com/GarageGames/Torque3D
Blockland uses an older version of the Torque Game Engine, not Torque 3D, i don't remember which version though

like torque 1.3 or some stuff

like torque 1.3 or some stuff
I only have the SDKs for 1.4, 1.4.2, 1.5, and 1.5.2 that Garage Games had given out a while back, so i don't think those would be of much help then...

Hoarding good tech is lame and goofy but Blocklanders are also extremely loving obnoxious and will break your add-on and then come scream at you like you killed their dog and forgeted their wife, which makes me not want to put out unfinished stuff. Also, first impressions matter(ed) a lot, in my experience if someone has a bad experience with your mod they'll just ditch it and are unlikely to ever come back to it even if you fix it
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What if you have a private addon and the guy who made it disapeared, do you release it or not

What if you have a private addon and the guy who made it disapeared, do you release it or not
Wouldn't that technically make it the 'abandonware' equivalent for a game mod, thus making it free to use by default?