steam deck

Author Topic: steam deck  (Read 2878 times)

this was announced today

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

basically a switch (pro?) that is also a pc. for a starting price of $399, this seems kinda neat

blockland is on steam
windows games are presumably being run through proton, valve's wine (running windows stuff on linux) implementation
blockland on gameboy color confirmed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:37:37 PM by Mr Queeba »

can't wait to hold it in my hands for a month and then let it collect dust

blockland is on steam
windows games are presumably being run through proton, valve's wine (running windows stuff on linux) implementation
blockland on gameboy color confirmed
Gameboy color dont run linux

remember the Steam Machine?

Holy crap! HOLY CRAP! I didn’t read the post when I commented before! yes! Finally! Thank you steam!

willing to pull down my pants and spread my hole for one of these og

as someone used to the switch, those controls throw me off

hooray for a user serviceable device!

The fact that Gabe goddamn Newell got back to you about that personally is amazing.

apparently it was redditors who sent the emails, and it resulted in that spec being added to the store page specs for the thing

its postfixed with “not intended for user replacement” or whatever but people dont care

not mine, got it from reddit. although the internet legends say that if you email gabe there's a good chance you'll get a response

its postfixed with “not intended for user replacement” or whatever but people dont care
i kind of interpreted that as there just being no easily accessible slot for an ssd. so you have to open up the console and possibly void a warranty. the good news is that the storage isn't permanently soldered in

Although he may not respond to your emails, Gabe Newell does read all of them

remember the Steam Machine?

Yes and I always thought it was pretty dumb back then. Basically was just a prebuilt PC running on linux.

The Deck is different though, this a very good idea in my eyes. I travel a lot and having something that's more compact than my laptop w/ a longer battery life speaks to me. Unlike the already existing and more niche GPD Wins or Aya Neo, the Deck is pretty streamlined and still has a ton of grunt along with a surprisingly competitive pricetag. IIRC the Valve Index was very good so I think they'll be able to pull it off.

I was already thinking about picking up a GPD Win 3, but now I have my eyes set on this. $400-$650 is far much easier to swallow than $900-$1400.

The only caveat I see is that.. this thing is loving massive lmao. Actually the biggest handheld ever made and puts the Game Gear & Atari Lynx to shame in terms of size.