new stalker will have nfts

Author Topic: new stalker will have nfts  (Read 4206 times)

it does not. it's literally a link to the image. the image itself is not even stored on the blockchain. if whatever company is hosting the image ever goes under (highly likely in this space lol), or simply decides to stop hosting the images, then you have an absolutely worthless little number
Well... yeah. If you buy an item and it is destroyed, it is destroyed. Certainly, some NFTs are more valuable than others purely based off the merits of their technology, some solutions are better than others. BAYC is hosted on IPFS which is p2p, it's unlikely you'll lose those. In (professional) modern computing, losing data is practically a bygone phenomenon.

both nfts and crypto suck, both at this point are basically financial vehicles for money laundering and speculation

Well... yeah. If you buy an item and it is destroyed, it is destroyed. Certainly, some NFTs are more valuable than others purely based off the merits of their technology, some solutions are better than others. BAYC is hosted on IPFS which is p2p, it's unlikely you'll lose those. In (professional) modern computing, losing data is practically a bygone phenomenon.
there is no technology behind nfts that isnt the same as the stuff behind crypto. it literally is the equivalent of creating a *coin that you cant split apart and sell fractions of. but honestly i wouldnt be surprised if that did start happening at some point
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 08:13:04 PM by Conan »

Well specifically I was talking about how the "content" or "media" of the NFT was hosted, and I admittedly didn't know it wasn't being stored on the "same tech", which now that I think about it wouldn't have made sense anyway. Some is hosted on distributed p2p stuff, some of which I'd imagine uses crypto, and garbage is typically hosted on centralized services that just get rugpulled when it stops being profitable.

both nfts and crypto suck, both at this point are basically financial vehicles for money laundering and speculation

I mean idk. If you ask me, a lot of tech is often driven by nefariousness. The idea of a decentralized currency sounds... good.

I have no love for crypto btw; my GPU died in the middle of the 30 series apocalypse. But I really don't think that's what's driving the sentiment behind NFTs

people really like to bring up the environmental issues with NFTs, and while i'm not sure on the specifics of what that means, wouldn't cryptocurrency be just as harmful as NFTs since they both use the blockchain? or is it different somehow? cause i only ever hear about environmental issues regarding NFTs and not crypto, which is arguably more popular

I don't own or trade NFTs but can someone explain to me twitter's unconditional hatred for them? I think I saw something about the environment?

there's also been a lot of issues of twitter artists getting their accounts hijacked and flooded with crypto/NFT ads, in addition to art getting stolen and then being minted as an NFT

I have no love for crypto btw; my GPU died in the middle of the 30 series apocalypse. But I really don't think that's what's driving the sentiment behind NFTs
its more of the fact its obviously some corporate-forced agenda that makes them money off of something that basically isn't even real. its like scientology for businesses.

Meh crypto is awesome everyone who says otherwise is poor.
But nft go way to far and make me question what we are doing anything for.
We have jpeg, png, dts, and fbx for a reason.
Tying them to some crypto is stupid and people are staring at numbers instead of the art.
But faceless crypto is really great imo. Its numbers, no different from stocks.

you don't understand me. the item is not destroyed. you can save the image, anyone can save the image, the image is not gone. one website that was hosting it is gone, and now you have a completely meaningless entry on a blockchain. there is no way to mitigate this with archiving or any other "professional modern computing" tactic that you are thinking of. without that single third party continuing to host it, you can no longer prove to anybody that you "own" the image
wouldn't cryptocurrency be just as harmful as NFTs since they both use the blockchain?
yes
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 08:27:05 AM by Foxscotch »

yea except you cant buy meth with a jpg of a monkey

you don't understand me. the item is not destroyed. you can save the image, anyone can save the image, the image is not gone. one website that was hosting it is gone, and now you have a completely meaningless entry on a blockchain.
Yeah, I mean, I don't. You purchase the entry on the blockchain which is your proof of purchase that you are the "proprietor" of the Elon musk doge image being hosted on DarpaLabs, and then DarpaLabs pulls their servers and everything on them is lost or "destroyed". Similarly if I buy a TV from BestBuy and then vaporize it, all I have now is a receipt that says I bought a TV from BestBuy. I figure that's pretty standard, obviously NFT's can't just arbitrarily point to new places.

There is some particular nuance about ownership here that I'm obviously not understanding.

there is no way to mitigate this with archiving or any other "professional modern computing" tactic that you are thinking of. without that single third party continuing to host it, you can no longer prove to anybody that you "own" the image
I mean... there is though. Like I said, BAYC is hosted on IPFS which is a decentralized P2P media hosting protocol distributed across it's end users. There's a lot of technical explanation here, but the problem is actually completely mitigated, entirely. You're not going to lose that content.

i think the point is that unlike your tv, the nft’s image/associated content can be vaporized at any point outside of your control. and at least with a tv theres more things it can do besides just exist in some blockchain

i think the point is that unlike your tv, the nft’s image/associated content can be vaporized at any point outside of your control. and at least with a tv theres more things it can do besides just exist in some blockchain
Yeah I mean and Badspot can just eat up my blockland key for no reason like he's done before lol we put a lot of trust in online merchants

doesnt steam not allow blockchain games so the game wont be allowed on steam

doesnt steam not allow blockchain games so the game wont be allowed on steam

wont be allowed on steam but epic games will gladly sell it like money hungry twats they are

fortnite nft integration when