the stagnation of blockland

Author Topic: the stagnation of blockland  (Read 18822 times)

f2p will never happen, i don't see badspot being particularly interested in hosting anything for free. not that f2p would do anything significant anyway.
When badspot dies in 2030-40 the community will make a cracked version like the v11 client and others. By 2077 vc will be added and blockland will surpass roblox. We have along way to go Unless someone is willing to . . .

why dont u just invite ur friends to play with u

why dont u just invite ur friends to play with u
is this a lead in to “oh i guess you don’t have any friends”

I think we all have friends. Just very few of them have played blockland more than once or twice.

open source now (i will simply kill the hackers)

it'd be nice if blockland had some actual advertising. i saw an ad for roblox on tv - if blockland had just a single mainstream ad on tv im sure it would help bring some new players in

even so, blockland has outlasted most games - take jump force for example a game that is only a few years old and the online is already about to shut down.

but really, all bl needs is some decent advertisement to get the game out there in the open so that more people know about it, and the players will come naturally. blockland is a good game.

blockland's prime has came and gone, it went about ten years ago and has been in a sharp decline since 2012. removal of maps was a mistake. if we shifted over to torque 2 or something like that and retained a key feature of exploration things would had been different. but don't forget badspot is pretty much a one man team and he's made enough money i'd imagine and something keeps him financially stable that doesn't mean he needs to keep updating the game.

munkey everyone know this. But the thing is, the game isnt dead. So either we do something to keep it alive or abandon it, but it still doesnt die when we abandon it. Its stagnant.

we have gone full circle

is this a lead in to “oh i guess you don’t have any friends”
not really

As someone who only ever rely on friends to play my servers, I've said this so many times over the years to people, the best way to maintain some decent popularity is if people had more stuff that's actually interesting to host, and I don't mean just snatching something off of blockland glass or the forums, or going to someone's github hosting conans jailbreak, like actually take the time to work on something for a change. Even if it's a similar formula or something completely new, and have some kind of consistent schedule for hosting. It'll give people a reason to look forward to playing every so often rather then just wake up and see an empty server list regardless of the timezone. It's hard for me to say I've really done much recently because I still have my hands full on a couple of projects but I'm trying at the very least, I can't say the same for others who just complain the game is dying but literally won't take the time to try making something with the endless amount of resources that people have made for the last decade.

The reason I suggest hosting something new will do the trick is I've seen so many old users return on a rare occasion, either on my server or someone elses many times, but once they see nothing of interest is really about and it's only maybe one or two servers that caught their eye, they go back to whatever it is they were doing before and the game is left to gain dust again. People do commonly make returns but they wont stay if there's no reason to.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 10:42:17 PM by Gautier00 »

As someone who only ever rely on friends to play my servers, I've said this so many times over the years to people, the best way to maintain some decent popularity is if people had more stuff that's actually interesting to host, and I don't mean just snatching something off of blockland glass or the forums, or going to someone's github hosting conans jailbreak, like actually take the time to work on something for a change. Even if it's a similar formula or something completely new, and have some kind of consistent schedule for hosting. It'll give people a reason to look forward to playing every so often rather then just wake up and see an empty server list regardless of the timezone. It's hard for me to say I've really done much recently because I still have my hands full on a couple of projects but I'm trying at the very least, I can't say the same for others who just complain the game is dying but literally won't take the time to try making something with the endless amount of resources that people have made for the last decade.

The reason I suggest hosting something new will do the trick is I've seen so many old users return on a rare occasion, either on my server or someone elses many times, but once they see nothing of interest is really about and it's only maybe one or two servers that caught their eye, they go back to whatever it is they were doing before and the game is left to gain dust again. People do commonly make returns but they wont stay if there's no reason to.

Filipe1020 recently did just this with Speedkart Remastered.

Filipe1020 recently did just this with Speedkart Remastered.
No disrespect to anybody who worked on speedkart remastered, specially to a few of my buds who participated in building tracks for it. But speedkart is still speedkart, sure the new tracks are really nice along with the vehicle models, but it's still speedkart. We need a much more expansive variety of stuff to either play or do, the more options the better. Just like you can't expect age of dungeons to be the only interesting thing on the master server 24/7, we gotta have more options or otherwise people literally got nothing else to do besides the only available interesting thing.