Movie Recommendation Ideas

Author Topic: Movie Recommendation Ideas  (Read 4873 times)

Nobody was actually pretty entertaining to me. Its a bit goofy at parts but it kept my attention.

Also watch Morbius

Can't believe no one has said Blade Runner.
You know what's funny, I was actually going to watch this within the next few days and follow it up with the sequel. I heard through the grapevine that The Final Cut or Director's Cut are better than the original theatrical release so I'll do that.

Nobody was actually pretty entertaining to me. Its a bit goofy at parts but it kept my attention.
Saul Goodman AND The Doc in one movie? Sold.
Also watch Morbius
No.

it's not a "classic" but Arrival is one of the coolest science fiction movies ever made
I'm surprised I haven't heard of this, it looks like it was well received too.

Update: Watched Groundhog Day for the first time, you could tell it was produced by Harold Ramis and it was a well done production by him as well. Would recommend, starts up a little choppy but turns out to be a lot more entertaining than I was imagining at first glance.

go watch cube 1997
Cube was a good movie but I particularly liked the 2nd one "Hyper Cube". The third one, titled "Cube Zero" was a prequel to the first one, and while I normally like those types of things I didn't think it was better than the first 2. Evidently there is a Japanese remake of the first cube movie but I have yet to actually watch it

• The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
I took a film history class in college and this was one of the films we covered. But instead of just assigning the movie for us to watch, he gave us a choice - watch it as normal, or watch it muted and play the album "Mezzanine" by Massive Attack in the background, starting the movie and the album at the same time. I watched it with the album and it syncs up near perfectly, it's amazing. This is also how I found out the opening theme to House is on this album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7K72X4eo_s

Movie recommendation: check out love Drive. It's like a 6/10 movie but has a lot of funny bits, it's very evocative of mid-to-late 2000s teen raunchy comedies. There's also an uncut version which has 20 minutes of extra footage, mostly consisting of extended nudity gags for no reason, full frontal nudity and naked background extras for no reason, more profanity for the hell of it, etc. It's amazing, I need to rewatch it.

I took a film history class in college and this was one of the films we covered. But instead of just assigning the movie for us to watch, he gave us a choice - watch it as normal, or watch it muted and play the album "Mezzanine" by Massive Attack in the background, starting the movie and the album at the same time. I watched it with the album and it syncs up near perfectly, it's amazing. This is also how I found out the opening theme to House is on this album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7K72X4eo_s

Movie recommendation: check out love Drive. It's like a 6/10 movie but has a lot of funny bits, it's very evocative of mid-to-late 2000s teen raunchy comedies. There's also an uncut version which has 20 minutes of extra footage, mostly consisting of extended nudity gags for no reason, full frontal nudity and naked background extras for no reason, more profanity for the hell of it, etc. It's amazing, I need to rewatch it.

I never heard of that! Wow that’s really cool, I want to check out that Dr. Caligari mashup, plus I enjoy that Massive Attack album as is. Reminds me a lot of the more popular “Dark Side of Oz” mashup.

Update: I watched “When Harry Met Sally” for the first time, starts off with some good laughs with Billy Crystal’s advice, but you’ll end up in some form of an emotional wreck by the time you reach the ending. If you’re a sap, you’d enjoy this as much as I did. The mise-en-scene carries the story over well too.

I never heard of that! Wow that’s really cool, I want to check out that Dr. Caligari mashup, plus I enjoy that Massive Attack album as is. Reminds me a lot of the more popular “Dark Side of Oz” mashup.

Update: I watched “When Harry Met Sally” for the first time, starts off with some good laughs with Billy Crystal’s advice, but you’ll end up in some form of an emotional wreck by the time you reach the ending. If you’re a sap, you’d enjoy this as much as I did. The mise-en-scene carries the story over well too.
Those are actually some of the best movies - I know I already gave a small list of recommendations (I do hope you watched at least one of them because I would surely love to hear your opinion) another movie I'd like you to check out is called "The Fare"

Those are actually some of the best movies - I know I already gave a small list of recommendations (I do hope you watched at least one of them because I would surely love to hear your opinion) another movie I'd like you to check out is called "The Fare"
I'll most certainly give them a watch! It's just a matter of sifting through a bunch of others that I promised people I'd check out in a reasonable time lmao

Next up on the list is likely to be The Graduate in honor of my grad school graduation from yesterday.

Check out Love God, it's the most delightfully deranged piece of hyper-stylized 90s cinema you'll ever see. It did a film festival tour back in 1997 and then completely fell off the face of the earth; I'm pretty sure the only way it can be watched nowadays is through a sparse few online uploads (this is the best one I've found) or by getting in touch with the director himself and asking him to email you a copy (which he apparently will happily oblige)

Citizen Kane

I don't like a lot of movies but I highly highly recommend this. Despite being over 50 years old it still feels incredibly fresh.

The Artist

its a french black and white silent film from 2011 about a super successful silent film actor and his journey transitioning from silent film to talkies. its pretty loving great from what i remember. the lead (jean dujardin) became the first ever french actor to win an oscar because of this movie and its on the "1001 movies you should watch before you die" list

Man Bites Dog

i personally really liked this one. its not well known and is not a famous one by any stretch, but its a belgian blaire-witch-style mockumentary about a serial killer who allows a director and his crew to follow him and document his murders. it had the same kind of production as blaire witch, where it was just a small crew of people, mainly film students, and it was on a budget of like, 33,000 dollars. its very forgeted up and violent but if you like those mockumentary kind of movies then you'll probably like this

City of God

loving love this one. its about gang rivalry in the favelas of rio de janeiro in brazil. this ones really good because they pulled almost all the amateur actors from the actual slums of this place, so most of the acting is either super authentic or not even acting at all. they portray gang confrontation pretty true to form too since a good handful of the actors either were in gangs or used to be in gangs themselves
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 06:12:53 AM by mod-man »

Howl's Moving Castle
come on dude that's not a movie that's an anime film by studio ghibli

and a loving awesome one

that, princess mononoke, and castle in the sky are probably my favorites from them

Howl's Moving Castle
Certified classic, arguably one of my favorite Ghibli films.

The Artist

Man Bites Dog

City of God

Have not seen any of the above just yet, but I know for fact I’d enjoy all of them, I just haven’t heard those titles in ages. 100% adding them to my list to watch

Citizen Kane

I don't like a lot of movies but I highly highly recommend this. Despite being over 50 years old it still feels incredibly fresh.

Many people cite this as “the best film ever,” I’ve given it a watch and I think it holds up very well. It’s certainly not my all time favorite, but I enjoy old films like this one. Compare this film to any of the others in the same decade and you’ll be floored by the editing style and performances no doubt. However, I totally understand why people are annoyed that film studies people obsess over this movie, but at the same time it’s mad influential for modern filmmakers.

Can't believe no one has said Blade Runner.

Finally watched both Blade Runner (the final cut) and Blade Runner 2049. Blade Runner - The Final Cut has swiftly entered my top 5 movies of all time.

UPDATE: I also watched Drive (2011) and now I understand where Nightcall and A Real Hero comes from. Feels like Baby Driver but a whole lot darker. Excellent pacing, everything is shot beautifully and is paired with an all star cast. Definitely would recommend!

this thread is a study in mental illness