Author Topic: Hiring dev(s) for a Blockland-inspired game engine  (Read 4077 times)

Hello Blockland modding community. You may not know me but I know you...I am BLID 13876. I've been Legojak, JerBear, and most recently fonsi. I've watched the rise and fall of Blockland over the years and recently I've been given the opportunity to revive what made it so great.

I am part of a team creating a sleek, new, modernized sandbox game/platform. The underlying engine is handcrafted to mimic what we all know and love: automatic multiplayer synchronization, datablocks, rapid prototyping, server-sided scripting, and deep access to internals. The team is looking for devs that can help build it up to the same level of power and flexibility that BL+TGE offer, without the jank and crust of outdated technology, and a more Minecraft-like building experience on top.

I look to you, Blocklanders, as no one knows the requirements better than you do.

No it is not a clone, a remake, or a Brickadia rival.

DM (luisfonsivevo#0096 in BCC discord) or email (fonsi a@t brownbricks doot com) me for more info if you're interested in being part of an early-stage startup.

who is "the team"? what is the pay rate? there's not a lot of details on the website, or in this post, which largely reads like marketing copy rather than what you might expect from a job posting

who is "the team"? what is the pay rate? there's not a lot of details on the website, or in this post, which largely reads like marketing copy rather than what you might expect from a job posting

Think of this more like a call to arms for like-minded creators than a job post. Just trying to stir up some interest and test the waters right now, as we are a very small (3 people) company without a finished product. The website I linked to hasn't been publicly updated in a while and is only a means of getting in contact with me.

so you're not hiring devs you're looking for volunteers. fascinating

several questions. answer at your own discretion, if you are unable/unwilling to i understand and can inquire further in personal messages. many of these are questions that publishers, backers and investors prefer to hear answers to. if you haven't asked yourself or answered any of these questions yet during your development, it wouldn't hurt to. please answer truthfully and realistically, nobody likes to work with someone who overestimates their abilities and overpromises, or underestimates themselves.

1) what programming language(s) are brown bricks written in? have you, are you currently, or do you plan on moving brown bricks to a different language or game engine?

2) how is your content pipeline laid out? what filetypes are used to make content for brown bricks (ie audio: wav vs ogg, mesh: dae vs obj)? do you plan on making your own filetypes or custom content pipeline? is all the content hardcoded/baked into the release or do you have/plan on making a mod api or interface? if you don't have a content pipeline yet, what is your plan for how your team's content creators will add new content to the game nondestructively? does your pipeline support runtime data changes, or is it compilation only?

3) will brown bricks' engine use any sort of reflection /delegates/assembly manipulation? if not, how do you plan to allow mod creators to overwrite/hook/callback brown bricks' engine functionality? if so, how do you plan on handling security and controlling how much mod creators can change (ie backdoor viruses, malicious code in mods)

4) how do you plan to target low-spec operating systems? what is your plan for rendering millions of meshes? are you working with serialized objects, or a shader/compute shader? if working with serialized objects (ie gameobjects or other assets that cannot be rendered in large quantities) how do you plan on culling unseen objects or rendering distant objects that do not require high detail or cpu/gpu usage?

5) do you have any roadmaps/graphical charts/research and development or tech showcases? how do you, as the lead developer, clarify and convey design plans to your team?

6) outside of blockland's community, who is your demographic and how do you plan on reaching them and giving them a game they can enjoy? what planned or current features, mechanics or ethos sets brown bricks apart from competitors? what features are similar to competitors and immediately recognizable to your demographic so they won't have to relearn new and potentially confusing mechanics? (ie pickaxe for mining, right click to plant blocks, etc)

7) what are some design challenges and limitations that you and your team are excited to tackle and solve? what limitations have you and your team been unable to bypass thus far? do you plan on working within these limitations or exceeding them?

8) what is your target revenue for brown bricks on launch month? what is your target price for the sale of a copy of brown bricks? do you feel like your projected/targeted sales are too ambitious or not ambitious enough? are you considering outsourcing some of the development to third-party companies such as publishers, art firms, localization teams or advertising agencies? if not, how do you plan on funding or distributing income to brown bricks and it's development team pre and post-launch?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 02:26:16 PM by PhantOS »

my brother what is this minecraft clone stuff

lol its actually named brown bricks what

Can I help? I am a 3D artist. I was actually just working on a cereal box as an example of my work.

It's almost done but I need a texture artist. If anyone would like to work with me please let me know.

Big promises but what do you have to show for them

It's almost done but I need a texture artist. If anyone would like to work with me please let me know.
i got u man

my brother what is this minecraft clone stuff
to put it less harshly the minecraftesque aesthetic has been pissed into the ground by every mobile game clone or cashgrab that you will only be mocked for it no matter your sincerity, especially if you're making a sandbox game. the screenshot makes me think its a rip of roblox's early 2010s pbs terrain which of course is a rip of the craft.
footnote the textures are akin to one of those simplistic mc texture packs 11 year old me would make

off topic isn't really the modding community... more like modification discussion board or something

brown bricks sounds like slang for poop, like dog eggs

off topic isn't really the modding community... more like modification discussion board or something

brown bricks sounds like slang for poop, like dog eggs
its a callback to the go go gadget cinemassacre video

to put it less harshly the minecraftesque aesthetic has been pissed into the ground by every mobile game clone or cashgrab that you will only be mocked for it no matter your sincerity, especially if you're making a sandbox game. the screenshot makes me think its a rip of roblox's early 2010s pbs terrain which of course is a rip of the craft.
footnote the textures are akin to one of those simplistic mc texture packs 11 year old me would make
i wouldn't judge the textures so harshly, it's not even in prototype phase yet. the greatest developers know how to leverage placeholders to free up more resources for the core features.

from the image in the OP alone you can see that they know how to handle UVs properly, which is arguably the hardest part of texturing. however, cubes aren't that hard to UV map so it doesn't say much. there's evidence of duplication, as seen in the trees. the terrain looks handmade but its possible they also have some rudimentary terrain generation set up.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:07:17 PM by PhantOS »

mindcraft with wedges