Author Topic: blockland: the community that killed the game  (Read 83944 times)

This thread certainly derailed, anyhoo

This place was 4kids4chan and simultaneously place that parents somehow thought would be safe, not really a good combination.

I said and did some stuff on here I'm really not proud of that I'm worried will bite me in the ass one day, and I guess I deserve it. At the same time however, I was just a kid and really didn't know any better, I was just copying what I saw around me and thought it was OK. Reading my old posts is both a combination of good memories (tryhardcycle, my beloved) and a pile of cringe-worthy garbage I wish I could erase from the internet. I keep telling myself that I never need to visit this godawful site again, but I keep getting lured back in because I feel like the forums were somehow a fundamental part of my emotional/mental/personal development. I luckily didn't know about half of the truly heinous stuff that occurred here as brought up in this thread, but I still feel a bit like I shouldn't have experienced a lot of what I did nonetheless. Other people in this thread have said that they feel like their parents should have watched what they were doing more closely, but for me, forget no. The stuff I did as a kid was horrible don't get me wrong, but given circumstances my parents would have disowned me. I lived just about every day in an anxious panic that my parents might get access to my texts, my forum account, etc. Really forgeted me up long term and made me super closed off, unsociable and unlikable. This probably compounded with the behavior of people on the forums that I was copying. Today I am luckily no longer the terminally online, unsocialized, anxious, total forgetup of a person that I once was, but I still am rather emotionally unavailable and I can't quite say why. Not sure if the forums are to blame for that, but oh well, just another hurdle I have to get over at some point.

Feel like that got rambly and not forums related, but forget it.

Watching some of the true degenerates of this forum over the years went from funny to really loving depressing sometime after I turned 18. Lord Tony went from the forum's favorite idiot to a crazed lunatic. Coming back around 2020 and seeing Tony and like 3 other people replying to threads having arguments with themselves was a wake-up to me that this forum really forgeted up a lot of people. Why is the "haha funny lego game" forum for kids a place that people are still posting on today to rant about other people's political opinions, loveuality, special interestes, whatever. Who the forget cares? Even if someone did care, who is left to listen? Why does this toxicity exist even now in this thread? Do you want them to leave you on this dying site? You know that these people are going to laugh at you complaining about their beliefs, close the browser tab, and go back to their day to day like nothing happened. People really have their brains wired to think that the BL Forum and the people on it are more important than their actual social lives, how the forget did we get to this point?

Actual deep stuff aside, lu cena forever, w , by my ultimate vehicle at frauds.com

I spent like an hour writing this stuff, forget me.

581 words. That's why I post here over other places.

I could post on somethingawful but I don't know anyone. If anything this is SA for the youngins (30 year olds rather than 50 year olds)

place that parents somehow thought would be safe
that wasn't my experience personally. my guardians barely wanted me playing the game, much less posting on a forum about it. all this stuff was a secret

that wasn't my experience personally. my guardians barely wanted me playing the game, much less posting on a forum about it. all this stuff was a secret
Hahahhaa.... Weirdo

I feel like it was half secret half not for me. If my parents really cared they could for sure have just looked at my post history.

I feel like BLF is probably the least "secret" website since. It's probably far easier for kids to hide stuff now than it ever was before.

I really don't think badspot deserves much stuff over "protecting children", kinda impossible to be an all seeing eye. If there was something incredibly blatant I feel like that's alright to pinpoint but a general catch all is bullstuff.

I really don't think badspot deserves much stuff over "protecting children"
Maybe not but it is kinda off to have the forum rules include stipulations suggesting to these children that they kill themselves.

I feel like it was half secret half not for me. If my parents really cared they could for sure have just looked at my post history.
my parents didn't know about my post history in the first place and at no time in the last 13 years have they ever known my current or prior usernames

wasn't it the lack of content updates, not the community, that killed blockland? I guarantee if badspot released a major update right now blockland would get a huge surge of players like what we saw in 2012.

wasn't it the lack of content updates, not the community, that killed blockland? I guarantee if badspot released a major update right now blockland would get a huge surge of players like what we saw in 2012.
The game just got old there's more interesting things to play. Minecraft came out and it's way easier to build something in Minecraft than having to do math to make a wall in blockland. Minecraft buildings are literally "noob" buildings in blockland. Blockland is not an easy creative game and if you're not creative or good at it Minecraft/Terraria are way more fun well also scratching the creative itch.

I don't think new content would keep it alive.

Im sorry but minecraft is not blocklands sole successor. Roblox is a partial successor.

Lack of updates, Lack of media, lack of mobile support. These three things kinda killed it.

Now days we have blockland rebuilt, in which we will receive unofficial updates.

Blockland has little to no media presence, honestly its not a bad thing, but when it does receive attention, it DOES have a surge in playercount.

Mobile/console support will never happen. While that was never blocklands target demographic, it does hinder its growth.

I doubt this, i mean 2012 was 11 years ago man, that was even before blockland was on steam. If blockland got a "major" update, it would be a curio for the remaining orbiters for like a week, but there's not going to be any growth, the engine's too old, the playerbase is too dwindled.

i actually agree with the fact that badspot shouldn't have been obligated to moderate the game but i think he forgeted up by sort of marketing it to children. blockland was never explicitly a kids' game, but it did have some marketing that made it appealing to kids.

to be fair, a lot of it probably couldnt have been helped, kids like legos.... but he should've have had a stronger disclaimer in regards to the lack of moderation and the very 18+ community.

from what i can gather, he was only up front about the fact he can't really moderate people's servers and that it would've been difficult to enforce rules when confronted by an upset parent, and was really crass about it too (badspot's mailbag).

after such incidents he should have been clear that this game is not moderated, not meant for kids, and that if you want your kids to be able to play it, the moderation is on your shoulders, he should've have put a disclaimer, written in layman's terms. of course it wouldn't mitigate the entire problem, because a lot of us were secretive about it. my mom is slightly nuts and would've actually cut the internet off altogether if she found out the type of community this game had.

however it would've been more professional on badspot's part. the game should have been kept within its own crowd and never should've had children mixed in at all.

personally i also wouldn't hold this against badspot though, he was probably overwhelmed or some stuff... this was also during a time where censorship, kids using the internet, online moderation and even video game ratings were relatively new. nobody really understood what the internet even was.

as for the game dying... Blockland really is wasted protentional. i think the game was given up on a little too quickly... but i also do not blame badspot for "giving up" or just feeling completely exhausted with the games' existence. i definitely cannot speak for another person but this is just what i assume after watching him glue and tape BL back together for years: it seems like it was a passion project, but the passion fizzled out before it could be improved upon and reach its full protentional without content created by the community.

i really don't wanna call him lazy, because i dont know how much bullstuff this madman had to endure to actually get the game barely functioning. despite the fact BL had small development team, i believe the first few years were solely badspot's creation and he took a majority of the work.

as an artist, i completely understand getting chained to large projects and just abandoning them because there's either no hope in fixing it (like it would be easier to scrap and start over) or you just burned yourself completely and spend years not even touching that same hobby.

i also recently started to delve into video game development and i absolutely cannot believe the actual hell developers go through. it's like all the torture of creating art (the insecurity, indecision, motivation issues) but now bundled with technical problems which is a recipe for immense suffering...  and the games i make are stupidly simple.

i cannot imagine or comprehend the kind of patience required to develop a loving 3D sandbox with online multiplayer, maps, lighting, add on support, saving data, etc. no wonder he's batstuff insane

video games are art, and blockland seems like a compulsive sketch, which is absolutely raw and beautiful... but some of those sketches never become paintings. you can try to make them into paintings, but you might end up with a mess of paint all over your beautiful sketch and you just say "forget it, the next painting will be better." Putting the sketch away or allowing someone else to work and build off of that sketch sometimes happens (BL rebuilt, brickadia, etc).

of course being creative can be rewarding and fun, and even an outlet for mental illness, but it can also 100% become a form of self torture.

LMAO i'm gonna put you in a hot plastic turtle sandbox like my little brother murdered worms trying keep them as pets
My brother did this unintentionally by leaving worms in a styrofoam box (fishing bait) on our deck for like 3 days in the middle of summer. Went out on the deck and the smell nearly made me projectile vomit, worst stuff ever

Im sorry but minecraft is not blocklands sole successor. Roblox is a partial successor.
Comparing Blockland to two of the most successful gaming titles ever created is not a fair comparison in the slightest lol

Lack of updates, Lack of media, lack of mobile support. These three things kinda killed it.
Lack of updates is a non-issue, the game is a self sustaining sandbox with a dedicated modded community. Mobile support is also not the reason, a lot of the most popular games out right now aren't mobile games. Lack of media makes sense but this game never had amazing player retention anyway. We skyrocketed to over 200k+ players with the Steam release and almost none of these people continued to regularly play the game.

The game "died" because it had a small dedicated player base and naturally with time people moved on to other things, including Badspot. Almost no games last forever, and it's not like this game was ever on top anyway. ROBLOX beat Blockland's player counts within a year of release.

Comparing Blockland to two of the most successful gaming titles ever created is not a fair comparison in the slightest lol
Lack of updates is a non-issue, the game is a self sustaining sandbox with a dedicated modded community. Mobile support is also not the reason, a lot of the most popular games out right now aren't mobile games. Lack of media makes sense but this game never had amazing player retention anyway. We skyrocketed to over 200k+ players with the Steam release and almost none of these people continued to regularly play the game.

The game "died" because it had a small dedicated player base and naturally with time people moved on to other things, including Badspot. Almost no games last forever, and it's not like this game was ever on top anyway. ROBLOX beat Blockland's player counts within a year of release.
He's dead Jim.

Comparing Blockland to two games I remember getting very popular after being smaller than Blockland isn't fair comparison? After these games went crazy Blockland started to get smaller. At least for myself I feel like I swapped to playing modded Minecraft.

You even say that in the second section, people moved on. All we had was Gmod and Blockland. Maybe if Badspot turned BL into a survival-crafting game it would have gone big. Imagine chopping trees and mining rocks to get stronger bricks.