why the forget are people using discord for file hosting and support???

Author Topic: why the forget are people using discord for file hosting and support???  (Read 1772 times)

a few weeks ago i was looking for a new flight sim chair. ended up being too expensive for my budget at the moment but i decided to browse around the site for a bit. noticed a giant notice bar up on top stating that since it was the holiday season order tracking would be a bit hectic and they had a discord server for real time updates. thought it was strange and stupid but had no effect on me at the moment.

a bit after that i was trying to get some local splitscreen for halo mcc set up on my computer so i could play with my friend on the new workshop maps. stuff wasn't working right so i asked some questions in various discussion groups online and long story short i ended up being sent a link to a message in a discord server, one that i wasn't in. told the guy that and he just said oh join the server linked up on top sorry. i eventually fixed my problem so i left the server. a few weeks later i tried again and stuff didn't work for a different reason this time so i had to rejoin again just to figure out what the hell was going on (master server went down twice that day and there wasn't much communication to users about it).
actually similar stuff like that has happened to me for multiple games that now either i or my friends are in servers for:

-halo custom edition
 -nucleuscoop
 -some sonic riders online matching system
 -old cod games multiplayer software
 -loving touhou 9 stuff for online play

all just for support. and i feel like i can't leave them because all this old stuff is held together by strings and craft glue by third party programmers and i know something will happen again and i don't want to hunt down a server link.

and like a week ago i tried downloading some blockland add-on from 2017 only to be greeted with a dead discord url as its host.

like what the forget? stop off-sourcing your support and downloads to discord. not everyone has it, not everyone wants it, its developed by incompetent child enthusiasts, and it isn't going to last forever. the only advantage are real time convos, and that's only if there's someone online who can help. most of the time you'll send a message out into the void with no response or you're just sending a message to a channel that'll get drowned with a bunch of other questions before yours can even get looked at. it's as bad as when you had to sign up for a bunch of independent forums just to get some answers. i wonder how many of those are shut down forever. honestly just using reddit has been better for me than joining any random person's server has ever been. so glad i haven't had to join a server just to get some yt-dlp troubleshooting help.

people want free hosting so they will flock to stuff like discord which is just burning VC money to host stuff for people

a few weeks ago i was looking for a new flight sim chair. ended up being too expensive for my budget at the moment but i decided to browse around the site for a bit. noticed a giant notice bar up on top stating that since it was the holiday season order tracking would be a bit hectic and they had a discord server for real time updates. thought it was strange and stupid but had no effect on me at the moment.

a bit after that i was trying to get some local splitscreen for halo mcc set up on my computer so i could play with my friend on the new workshop maps. stuff wasn't working right so i asked some questions in various discussion groups online and long story short i ended up being sent a link to a message in a discord server, one that i wasn't in. told the guy that and he just said oh join the server linked up on top sorry. i eventually fixed my problem so i left the server. a few weeks later i tried again and stuff didn't work for a different reason this time so i had to rejoin again just to figure out what the hell was going on (master server went down twice that day and there wasn't much communication to users about it).
actually similar stuff like that has happened to me for multiple games that now either i or my friends are in servers for:

-halo custom edition
 -nucleuscoop
 -some sonic riders online matching system
 -old cod games multiplayer software
 -loving touhou 9 stuff for online play

all just for support. and i feel like i can't leave them because all this old stuff is held together by strings and craft glue by third party programmers and i know something will happen again and i don't want to hunt down a server link.

and like a week ago i tried downloading some blockland add-on from 2017 only to be greeted with a dead discord url as its host.

like what the forget? stop off-sourcing your support and downloads to discord. not everyone has it, not everyone wants it, its developed by incompetent child enthusiasts, and it isn't going to last forever. the only advantage are real time convos, and that's only if there's someone online who can help. most of the time you'll send a message out into the void with no response or you're just sending a message to a channel that'll get drowned with a bunch of other questions before yours can even get looked at. it's as bad as when you had to sign up for a bunch of independent forums just to get some answers. i wonder how many of those are shut down forever. honestly just using reddit has been better for me than joining any random person's server has ever been. so glad i haven't had to join a server just to get some yt-dlp troubleshooting help.
Agreed. if U use discord forget YOU!

It's almost like money is scarce resource for us not living in beverly hills, and people will do anything they can to save money while still accomplishing what they intend to do, even if it means jumping through a few hoops, or accepting some caveats. That or they lack knowledge about viable alternatives.

It's almost like money is scarce resource for us not living in beverly hills, and people will do anything they can to save money while still accomplishing what they intend to do, even if it means jumping through a few hoops, or accepting some caveats. That or they lack knowledge about viable alternatives.
get a real job

anyways proximity and easy access. all the garbage you have to sift through (registration, throttling, caps, advertising, deletion) to throw files up on most mainstream cloud hosting makes it not even worth a second's time.

It's actually going to be a loving huge issue like 5 years from now purely from the information perspective. There's going to be a gap in our knowledge because all the discussion occurred in stuff ass discord servers which are now locked away/deleted. Web designers are going to innovate us into desolation trying to find meaning in their occupation. That said I'm not uploading my 2mb addons to mega.nz

It's actually going to be a loving huge issue like 5 years from now purely from the information perspective. There's going to be a gap in our knowledge because all the discussion occurred in stuff ass discord servers which are now locked away/deleted. Web designers are going to innovate us into desolation trying to find meaning in their occupation. That said I'm not uploading my 2mb addons to mega.nz
It really is a huge shame we're going to lose so much, even if I can understand the reasoning behind it, I'm mostly just hoping that those who make a hobby out of archiving and rehosting things come to the rescue.

anyone who uses discord for a permanent cloud storage solution is out of their mind. it's like people who use dropbox just STOP DOING IT

always used mediafire and google drive for hosting my files...it's simple and it just works. there was the thing with mediafire in 2020 where old/abandon accounts were deleted, but luckily my account was considered active enough that nothing was wiped.

now when it comes down to support I actually think discord works well for that. it's much easier to join an active discord server for a specific topic and ask for help in real time VS emailing support or going to some forum and posting a topic waiting days on end for a response. it's just a great tool for communication in general

it's much easier to join an active discord server for a specific topic and ask for help in real time VS emailing support or going to some forum and posting a topic waiting days on end for a response. it's just a great tool for communication in general
okay, but for example, would you rather if stackoverflow was a discord or a forum? how easy is it to just google a question affixed with 'stackoverflow' and just find an answer to it, even if it's not the exact wording due to semantic search? would you rather ask first and potentially get ignored or posted over by some other dude who posts a 3150 line log.txt in their discord message, completely drowning out your post, or have a forum where your message is guaranteed to be seen as all posts take up the same amount of space?

It's actually going to be a loving huge issue like 5 years from now purely from the information perspective. There's going to be a gap in our knowledge because all the discussion occurred in stuff ass discord servers which are now locked away/deleted. Web designers are going to innovate us into desolation trying to find meaning in their occupation.
i've already run into this issue; data just kind of disappeared if it was hosted on a discord from 2017-2019 for the most part and socially it sucks. someone dmed you something and you don't share servers with them anymore or they deleted their account? after a while you can no longer access your dms with them. it sucks ass if you have an older discord account.

i've never experienced problems looking up history on discord, but i agree, using it as a cloud storage system is going to create a lot of problems if Discord goes under.

The main issue is that information stored in discords is not privy to search engines; so to actually find that information you have to first know where to find it and search for that first and then search in that place (with discords loving dogstuff search feature) for the information you're actually looking for. This makes research impossible.

I’ve probably uploaded several terabytes of info to discord as backups, between things for school, work, hobbies, personal images. it’s outstanding small file storage, easily organizable (into categories, channels, threads), low-effort, free, and up to 100mb with nitro (not bad). I upload these only however to a server where only myself and some alt accounts are members, so it’s not going anywhere unless discord does

if someone is publishing things and linking to discord files which used to be on public/deletable servers though they’re probably just airheads lol, I haven’t seen this often at all though

The main issue is that information stored in discords is not privy to search engines; so to actually find that information you have to first know where to find it and search for that first and then search in that place (with discords loving dogstuff search feature) for the information you're actually looking for. This makes research impossible.
this and discord server invites aren't permanent to begin with unless if you have a massive ass forget-all server to get a custom url, it's just a mess

this and discord server invites aren't permanent to begin with unless if you have a massive ass forget-all server to get a custom url, it's just a mess
you can edit the time in which a discord server invite link expires, it doesn't need to be a massive server

yeah that is actually quite annoying

okay, but for example, would you rather if stackoverflow was a discord or a forum? how easy is it to just google a question affixed with 'stackoverflow' and just find an answer to it, even if it's not the exact wording due to semantic search? would you rather ask first and potentially get ignored or posted over by some other dude who posts a 3150 line log.txt in their discord message, completely drowning out your post, or have a forum where your message is guaranteed to be seen as all posts take up the same amount of space?
i've already run into this issue; data just kind of disappeared if it was hosted on a discord from 2017-2019 for the most part and socially it sucks. someone dmed you something and you don't share servers with them anymore or they deleted their account? after a while you can no longer access your dms with them. it sucks ass if you have an older discord account.
right I see your point here. it's like crook mentioned, searching for something specific on a discord server can be a nightmare. a forum where the question has already been answered and is easily findable in a simple google/forum search is obviously the better option. in my experience, when I can't find an answer to a specific question (usually gaming or modding related) through strenuous google searching, joining a discord server where people are actively having discussions about the topic that I'm looking for support in and asking questions has really helped

i don't like it for communities compared to forums, though a chatroom does 'appear' more 'community-like' in how you can just post a message without making a whole thread for it... 40 people in a chatroom seems nice and responsive but 40 people in a forum seems empty
but for looking back at the past like tech support lookups its garbo. a lot of tech support involves searching for it on the web, not that easy with 15 discords... a discord is less 'public' and searchable than a forum, finding links is tedious and you can't just web search it probably
it's used to host files cuz its free and easy(not confirmed)
also join my official discord :) seems like everyone has one these days
well, just some thoughts. i barely use it