Author Topic: Normal & Parallax Mapped Studs (Release)  (Read 5182 times)

I've been holding onto these for a while thinking I'll patch them up further, but after some time I think I'm just going to shove them out there for anyone to try.
I'm too lazy to do anything else with it right now, so feel free to contribute and redistribute. Just please get ahold of me if you do, I'd be interested to see where it goes.

Round studs by Kokonut & Pandan

Example stud atlas texture:

The bottom left of the image is information for the shader letting it know this is a custom atlas map.
The bottom right is the heightmap for parallax effect.
The top left is the albedo.
The top right is the normal map.

Installation
Download from https://drive.google.com/file/d/10S3uadoyo0apghOTCg7s8y3g8lM-6vSY/view?usp=sharing
Replace shaders/renderCsm_frag.glsl with the one provided in the zip.
Replace base/data/shapes/brickTOP.png with the one provided in the zip.

Make sure your shaders are on in your settings, or your studs will look terrible
Your studs will look terrible to anyone who do not have the shader, there is no workaround for this as of now
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:49:53 AM by BloxersPost »

Curious to see what it would look like for someone without the shaders installed.

Curious to see what it would look like for someone without the shaders installed.
Shaders are client side, so i imagine it would just look normal to them unless you've changed the brickTOP texture

Each stud will look like the bottom atlas template to them, given they download your server textures (usually happens) & do not have the mod. This is due to the shader actually mapping each stud manually using those 3 quadrants, one of them being the identifier.

I'd recommend making functions to generate the values for the height and parallax map, it's not that hard to do as you can just use combination of steps.
I had tried to do this with somewhat decent results, even went as far as making functions for the bottom textures too.

However I have issues with orientations of the textures causing the parallax effect to break, unsure if your code resolves that somehow.
(The white lines are from debugging and doesn't appear normally)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 10:43:07 AM by Pah1023 »

I'd recommend making functions to generate the values for the height and parallax map, it's not that hard to do as you can just use combination of steps.
I had tried to do this with somewhat decent results, even went as far as making functions for the bottom textures too.

However I have issues with orientations of the textures causing the parallax effect to break, unsure if your code resolves that somehow.
(The white lines are from debugging and doesn't appear normally)

First of all, thank you for the suggestion and screenshot. It's always interesting to see what others' come up with!

I actually had tried an approach very similar to this long ago. I didn't like it because it introduced a lot of unwelcome artifacts on various textures I encountered on other servers, and overall ruined my experience. It was also a lot less clean, and you are correct that this method does indeed not work well with angles. Overall, I think my journey with modifying Blockland's graphics is coming to an end. It was a fun few experiments, but I think there will forever be many unsatisfactory imperfections from all methods possible that do not require re-writing or hooking internal functions.