how have the last 5 years been for you?

Author Topic: how have the last 5 years been for you?  (Read 29594 times)

5 years ago was 2018, that's when I graduated high school, so same bro
acquire spouse(s)
damn nice we are the same age

It's went quickly.

I lived in an apartment with no water or electric for about a year, struggling to get my life together. I lost a few friends to Self Delete. I got electric turned on in said apartment and couldn't pay for it, moved out. I had a kid with a woman I hate. I lost my first car. I became unable to see my child and I pay support now. My mother passed away. A new factory job in a new stuffhole every 3 months. That was in the first 2 years.

I got a new job, a vehicle, and a place to live that I've been living in happily for the past 3 years. Aside from a few traumatizing events here and there, it's been ok I guess.

something happened during the covid lockdown and I went from partying all the time to having really bad social anxiety. recently I came out as trans, I've only gotten more attractive with every passing year which is nice, and last week I spontaneously quit my job of 7 years and I plan on travelling Europe in the wintertime. oh and I've been single for like... 6 years

something happened during the covid lockdown and I went from partying all the time to having really bad social anxiety. recently I came out as trans, I've only gotten more attractive with every passing year which is nice, and last week I spontaneously quit my job of 7 years and I plan on travelling Europe in the wintertime. oh and I've been single for like... 6 years
every passing year
get it

> need roommate in house ur paying to own
so ur just landlording ur roommate smh my head mh
This is a wild over simplification. Hope it was sarcastic lol

This is a wild over simplification. Hope it was sarcastic lol
it wasnt he was being 100% serious

it wasnt he was being 100% serious
If you had said "Utilities" there wouldn't have been any complaint despite still coming from the same pool of money.

Mortgage is high = You're a scumbag. Energy costs are too high = Amen brother, viva la revolución

i was definitely going to inquire but now that im told i was being 100% serious im not going to anymroe

if you rent out part of your house to a tenant you can justify charging them more than the mortgage price

i almost got stung by a wauce

look at all these familiar facesss idk what compelled to me to head to BLF today but i did, sup dawgs

2018: I quit my first job working as a manager in a fast food restaurant to get my CDL to drive semi trucks. I fell for a mega-company schpeel and was abused by my employer, so I quit and got stuck with thousands of debt for CDL school. I also met a woman who became my girlfriend, and eventually found a better trucking company to work for and spent the whole year touring the United States and getting paid for it.

2019: I married that woman in March and we rode together in a truck cab around the country (until we despised each other in that tiny space and she dipped to go get a job back home). My mental health took a major hit being constantly alone in a cab all the time and it affected me, my family, and my friends.

2020: I quit driving over the road literally one month before lockdown started. The timing couldn't have been any better. The company I quit eventually crashed and was bought out and shut down by a different company. My new job involved driving a semi truck but still getting to go home every day (still there today). I financed my first car and let the wife have it so she could have something reliable to drive. stuff wasn't good at home though. The wife was cheating on me and I was always in a mood. I started therapy when the cheating came to light to try to re-learn how to socialize with others and love people again. We almost went for divorce, but I decided to put my best foot forward and make things work.

2021: I was ultimately unaffected by lockdown as an essential worker. I got the pokes and never got COVID. I was fixing myself and becoming a lot happier. I bought my first house. The wife was damaged though and decided she wanted to leave. We separated after Thanksgiving and she abandoned most of her belongings and her dog with me. I never could get myself to re-home the dog, and made her my own.

2022: The first few months were a period of recovery and finding myself again as I remembered how to be single. The wife wanted none of my belongings and just wanted an amicable divorce, which was finalized in May. I got back in the dating scene which was honestly quite a bit easier as an older dude instead of a zitty kid. I met a new woman who has made me the happiest I've ever been. I sold the financed car to buy an old pickup truck in an effort to tackle my debt.

2023: This has honestly been one of my best years in awhile. I paid off ALL of my debt besides my mortgage. My friends and I play with and repair decrepit old cars in my driveway. My lady and I talk openly about marriage. I have an engagement ring already but just haven't popped the question yet. I'm on great terms with my family, have an excellent credit score, and I'm making life moves. I honestly dislike my job now and keep my options open for new opportunities, but I'm blessed to be where I am and have my stuff and my relationships as testaments to all my trials and hard work that I've been through.

what a tumultuous 5 years, glad to hear you're doing very well

2018: Graduated college, moved back home. Joined Spacebattles Forums; if you like creative writing it's a pretty good place. Mind you, they actually moderate things there, calling someone a slur will get you infracted. Don't be a richard, don't be a bigot, etc. Also realized I'm too much of an ugly selfish starfish to ever have a girlfriend for more than 24 hours in practice.
2019: Got a job, finally. It's dumb and dull and it sucks and all our stuff is constantly broken and everyone else blames our group for everything the instant something goes wrong, but it's also incredibly low-effort (because i literally don't have the access permission to fix anyone else's broken stuff and they aren't paying me enough to do it anyway) and they can't get rid of me because I'm better at problem-solving than anyone else they've managed to get in that group.
2020: Nothing.
2021: Wrote the first two chapters of the only thing I've ever written that's actually worth reading. Never managed to write any more of it...
2022: Nothing.
2023: Possibly made a friend? In my experience, I don't have friends, I have people who aren't completely sick of me yet (and that outcome is inevitable). Also discovered I have previously-undiagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder. It turns out that any new emotional input being amplified to the point it drowns out everything else ISN'T supposed to happen!

Still super depressed of course. Mostly because of climate change giving us a billion+ dollar disaster every few weeks, authoritarian demagoguery takeovers dismantling democracy all over, a disturbing resurgence of hatred and bigotry among the youth in europe, Putin absolutely being the kind of person who would nuke the world out of sheer spite on his way out, and the fact that I can't fix any of it because every time I try to genuinely support a cause it backfires horribly and makes things worse just because I'm me and I don't quite get people and I've caused a lot of problems for a lot of people who want absolutely nothing to do with anything I'm involved in ever.