I keep opening the forum to see if there's anything new and interesting on here

Author Topic: I keep opening the forum to see if there's anything new and interesting on here  (Read 41117 times)

Wow, it's been a while - almost three years! I was browsing through my history when I stumbled on this post, so I figured I might as well reply.

I last posted on the forums on December 23rd, 2020. A lot's happened in my life in these last three years.

On December 25th, 2021, I realized I'm trans. I came out to my family and friends, started HRT, lost old friends, gained new friends, changed my name, got a girlfriend, got in a car crash, got a job to pay for my HRT, all the while looking to find a tech job that'll hire some random woman with no academic credentials or professional experience to speak of. Fun times!

Blockland holds a lot of memories for me, both good and bad. I remember the friendships I had across nearly a decade that I was part of this community, most of whom I've lost touch with and will probaby never hear from again. I remember all the wonderful game mods I wrote and servers I hosted, and the fun times we had. I also remember the toxicity this community could bring, and how somehow Blockland always brought out the worst version of myself. More than anything else, that was why I stopped hosting - I don't like the person I become when I host.

To everyone I met, thank you for the good experiences we had, and I apologize for adding to the bad.
It's so nice to see you post again! I don't know if you remember me, but my in-game name was Lt. Jamergaman. I was in your servers admining a lot and kinda being the same way you were when you hosted. Honestly it felt different with your servers because it seemed there was more responsibility. Like everything was held to a higher standard. Or maybe there was just a lot of morons to deal with. Idk but it was fun regardless. Even when it was just you and me loving around, testing stuff, or whatever else.

I apologize for being one those that got outta touch. Life got pretty hectic for me and because of it, I lost a lot of good friends too. I consider you one of those good ones that I lost touch with. I always wondered what happened to you and where you were after all these years. I kinda thought the worst after a while since it seemed like quite a few blocklanders were passing away for the past 10 years. It's awesome reading how you've grown and unfortunate for the car crash (I was in one too recently that forgeted my wife and I up). I really hope you find that tech job and keep growing with your girlfriend together! I think it would be nice to get into touch with you again.

and there rarely is anymore. but it's like a habit.....
I feel that. I used to do that for a while once things started slowing down. It's now dwindled down to me showing up here maybe a few times a year. But every time I type "f", it's still the first thing that pops up in the address bar.

...I used to post here all the time, I was like a freak about it... ...between the two accounts, I've spent nearly a year and a half in total on the forum... ...I open it, becoming "active", and leave without doing much else
Because of you, mld, and any other high post count forumer, it inspired me to try and post a lot everyday. However, me being a naive and dumb teenager, I made some real dumb posts and just all around was a forgethead. Pretty much like 90% of the forumers here from those times anyways. But since I stopped doing that, it kinda humbled me in a way to myself which made it easier to focus on other things that were important to me at the time. I wish I would've finished any of my add-ons though. That would've been a nice feeling to achieve.

I can skip checking for days and practically the only thing new is a post in the geese thread. we actually got lucky this week, with a cool-sounding gamemode in General Discussion....
I think I'll still show up to post some stupid stuff to bring back some nostalgia for myself and have a laugh or post in threads like these in hopes I'll reconnect with some old friends or even people I just used to talk to or play with. I haven't played the game in so long, but it would be nice to hop on with said old friends. Or hell, even make new ones!

ok anyway back to the actual premise of this post.....
pretty much the same again for me. I thought I wanted to be a programmer, game developer in some way, graphics designer, web page developer, or literally anything to do with "code" or graphics and a computer. Turns out my calling was Automotive Collision Repair lol! I'll still want to mess with code here and there and I've messed with graphics design, video production and whatnot but I think in the end, I'm where I want to be. It's really nice knowing some forumers got it good in some ways that make them happy!
and then there's everyone I met here.....
I'm all for getting back into contact with old blocklanders or even making new friends with the ones that hang around here. Some part of me just wants to have a good close-out memory to this game, to the rest of the these memories. That desire just won't go away. I know eventually this will be gone, but I'd like to keep some little glimmer of the past in the present. Whether it be reconnecting with people, making new friends from old forumers, or just playing the game every now and again.

and there are more bittersweet memories, particularly of people who seem lost to time. a lot of people had this experience with vegetarian zombie, who dropped off the face of the earth, as far as I know......and there's just this vague sense of unease related to him and all the other members with a similarly unknown fate. don't even know if they're still, euphemistically, around. closure would be nice, to at least know what happened, whether they're gone, they drive for uber, or graduated college and got a nice job, or work in retail. just to know
I would also like to know :(

it's funny how few bad memories I have....
I think I can speak for quite a few members here that I wish I could've had fewer bad memories of this game, this place. They seem to drown out a lot of the good memories. I suppose it didn't help that I was a richardhead and all that richardheadedness stemmed from a stuffty childhood. But what else is new?

I wonder a lot about whether all of the people I remember so fondly also remember me...
I feel that. It's a little addictive at times. I would like to meet a lot of members from here in person, but I'd get self conscious about it all I think.

sorry for the double post, but I felt like this should've been a separate one since it's a wall of text to fox and not xalos

Nightfox, who was a furry and apparently is also OP.
teehee

ikr? It's so weird to see. It's like BLF has done a 180 and suddenly everyone's showing their regrets over all the bad stuff they witnessed. For such a long time, the culture here was so centered around insults, drama, not getting called out as long as you were popular/funny, etc.
it's definitely different..... everyone's adults or at least late teenagers now. we've all had time to reflect on past behavior (although I'm sure not everyone actually has) which is probably benefitted in many cases by not being around here so much anymore. I've been posting a lot less in the last few years, for sure, but I don't think I've ever really fully disengaged for any considerable period of time. so maybe I didn't get that bonus lol. but I think I have gained a lot from my other friendships and from just understanding myself and my relationships with other people better than I used to
They were always so popular for seemingly no reason, and no one really called them out very often from what I remember, but now we're seeing a decent amount of posts doing that.
he was a "cool" adult, and I think that's just the way kids tend to look at adults they think are cool. in not being an authority figure they can just become someone with more agency and life experience than you, which is something a lot of kids will look up to. as adults ourselves now, in retrospect we understand that his presence here wasn't particularly cool, and his behavior certainly wasn't. but he definitely wasn't universally liked even back then

i always worry one day i'll click on the tab and it won't load up anymore.
it is inevitable...... i find myself hoping that someone's archiving it all, but I don't know if I have the patience to do it myself

pretty much the same again for me. I thought I wanted to be a programmer, game developer in some way, graphics designer, web page developer, or literally anything to do with "code" or graphics and a computer. Turns out my calling was Automotive Collision Repair lol! I'll still want to mess with code here and there and I've messed with graphics design, video production and whatnot but I think in the end, I'm where I want to be. It's really nice knowing some forumers got it good in some ways that make them happy!
nice. before I got into programming I wanted to be a surgeon and I was sure that was where I was going to take my life. but then I learned javascript, and it upended everything. which is good, I guess, because I kind of like it?? but it's also complicated lol. I don't love doing it as a job, and I've lost almost all interest in doing it for fun in my personal time now that I do, but it's Okay and it provides me with a pretty cushy standard of living. so I don't think I'll be abandoning it entirely for some time. I do think in the long term I'll be looking for management positions rather than going down the path of more and more advanced engineering positions
I've mentioned this before on the forum but think it's a little funny the way I got into it. almost every programmer who came from here, I think, got into it because of blockland directly. like making mods and stuff. but that just never happened for me. my entire programming life is all but entirely separated from blockland itself (aside from a few userscripts I made for the forum). but like I mentioned in the op, the support of some of my friends from here was nonetheless essential
I think I can speak for quite a few members here that I wish I could've had fewer bad memories of this game, this place. They seem to drown out a lot of the good memories. I suppose it didn't help that I was a richardhead and all that richardheadedness stemmed from a stuffty childhood. But what else is new?
there's definitely a lot of different experiences. when I say I don't really I have bad memories, I don't mean that nothing bad ever happened to me, just that, for me, the things that stick out to me, after so many years, are mainly the positives. the bad things did happen and have affected me profoundly. like I mentioned in the OP I still have trouble sometimes with being argumentative and rude about things that really just don't matter. I was, in general, far more exposed to loveual content and behavior than anyone of my age should have been, like I was 11 the first time I saw furry research, (cw for more Advanced csa) [and the first time I sent nudes to someone, I was 12, and they were several years older]. pretty much everyone around me acted like these things were normal, and granted, most of them were also around the same age! so I don't blame most of them. except for the guy in the censored bit. that was just bad. but it wasn't normal, and it certainly wasn't healthy, and these kinds of experiences had a long-term effect on my behavior and my general outlook on love, and maybe some of that is related to my effective aloveuality these days. again, I should probably see a therapist lol
but despite all of that, and everything else, I think for me it was still a net positive, being here? maybe? or maybe that's just the parts of me that are still maladjusted thinking that. dunno!! but I think I'm ok generally now

hello, foxcrotch.
hello my gay friend
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 10:39:36 PM by Foxscotch »

I would like to meet a lot of members from here in person, but I'd get self conscious about it all I think.
Any time there's been meetups at conventions or wherever, i wished i could have been a part of it, but i've never had an opportunity to do so, especially if it was somewhere out of state

the closest i've been to meeting blockland players IRL was Frontrox and Jubel.

i have only met adam. SO FAR. but it's only a matter of time before the rest of the furry squad

i have only met adam. SO FAR. but it's only a matter of time before the rest of the furry squad

may god forbid you from ever meeting me, my legion of thirsty fanboys is already too large to keep track of :iceCream:

about meeting blockland players, I've met them, just not IRL. Met quite a few randoms that knew blockland or played it at some point, which surprised me. This was recent.

Me, Armyunit, and Hanhan13 all met up at a Panda Express a couple years back, was fun but surreal lol

ive met 8 blocklanders irl and plan to meet 4-5 more whenever it becomes convenient

it absolutely was surreal the first time i met up with the first three blocklanders irl (it was all our first time) but we’ve all become good friends since then

me and khorde went to a halloween music festival dressed up as chris chan + liquid chris

I started playing Blockland on like v8 with my friend, his little brother, and my little brother. I was the only one to really rack up the 1000+ hours as LruteL, Aoki, and then log. I always wanted to meet some people, but I didn't consider it too much living in bumforget Ohio.

I lost contact with most Blocklanders after I started to get harassed in real life around like 2015. I was investigateed, swatted, signed up for free trials on a handful of weird products, put on every spam mail list--my dad would get calls at work telling him his son (me) was fat, and that I should kill myself. I would get calls telling me I'm fat and should kill myself.

I started intermittently posting and getting back online in-game after a bad breakup a few years ago, and I do like how the community seems like it's matured. It's crazy seeing some of the pet projects I missed too--Blockland Rebuilt, static shape maps, and someone made like an in-game web browser? Sometimes it makes me want to pick up Torque again, but it's hard to come home from work and sit down to continue coding.

I live in greater Boston now; though, which I'm sure is a lot more central. Maybe I'll get around to making that stuff happen. A Blockland LAN party would go hard.

happy birthday!

tbh I dont think I ever knew you were Aoki. I'm pretty sure I saw that name ingame more than a few times over the years

Hello, fellow multiple-year-hiatus-ers.

I have a lot of nostalgic memories surrounding this game and community. I wanted to drop some cursory shouts for old times' sake.
Big ups to []----[], Minomato, Captain Thomas, DarkHero, Cysero, Joltarn, Captain Thomas, DrenDran, Eagle, KfAmped, Tezuni, Metario, Tenshi, KINEX, arby's, and too many others to possibly credit. I hope you're all well.

Until the next time.

Paradigm

Hell yeah I made this guys list.

It's funny, the majority of the like 150 people I have on my steam friends list today were people I added from Blockland way back in like 2012. Wild to think I only talk to like 6 of them with any frequency anymore, and have forgotten the rest.

the closest i've been to meeting blockland players IRL was Frontrox and Jubel.
i was recently informed and bullied for forgetting about Suburb and Kehmet, who I did in fact meet IRL.