Software engineering trends that annoy you

Author Topic: Software engineering trends that annoy you  (Read 30986 times)

/title

I'll start with my two favorite:
  • Company x deprecates their thick client for a web app, if customer is lucky, they get an Electron app
  • App with no help docs implements a help chatbot that is just OpenAI
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 04:51:30 PM by log »

For decades whatever Apple does no matter how stupid becomes the next trend other tech companies will mindlessly chase.

ruby on rails. it's not really a trend anymore but im still stuck with it at work and it sucks. forget you dhh. bitch

Not really topical as such, but i found our jenkins "introduction" a bit lacking

not using prepared statements

the proliferation of electronjs and every program pretending to be a standalone application but actually being a glorified version of chromium or webkit
computers may be faster but you should still aim to have optimized code damnit
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 04:23:50 PM by Mr Queeba »

• App with no help docs implements a help chatbot that is just OpenAI
oh, this reminded me of one that irks me

when there are help docs but it's some pdf scans of an old book with no actual way of searching through them using ctrl+f, instead you gotta actually use the "table of contents" page to find wtf your looking for and hope it's actually in that section and not some arbitrary info tip in some other completely unrelated section

Dev teams that don't feature people of color or women, particularly when dealing with technology that uses voice or facial recognition. We still have devices that cannot tell when someone besides a white male is trying to use them and we're already a quarter century into the 2000s. It's embarrassing at this point.

For decades whatever Apple does no matter how stupid becomes the next trend other tech companies will mindlessly chase.

sorry that's not software engineering but typical blind Apple hatred, if you're unable to recognize the contributions they've made to the industry for the past decades, then perhaps you need to delve deeper into the subject

Apple does release excellent things every year for the development on their own platforms along with their own API kits which sometimes are very innovative and opens up new use cases, apart from 1. the whole App Store situation where they are reckless and we can all agree on that, 2. the fact they remove support of old software (not hardware) a bit too quickly in some cases

« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:21:55 AM by MrLoL² »

Microsoft claims to have server and client side SCIM support, but their server-side support documentation involves "developing an endpoint for the client to consume." They can't keep getting away with this...

when programmers take the speed/capacity of modern hardware for granted. why is there like 5 seconds of latency half the time when I'm menuing around my TV. Why does your stuffty little mod manager have Chromium embedded into it.

also shoving the flavor-of-the-week hyped thing (AI, NFTs) into your product for no actual reason other than to appease investors

sorry that's not software engineering but typical blind Apple hatred
How did you possibly conflate tech companies blindly following whatever Apple does with "blind Apple hatred?"

if you're unable to recognize the contributions they've made to the industry for the past decades, then perhaps you need to delve deeper into the subject

Apple does release excellent things every year for the development on their own platforms along with their own API kits which sometimes are very innovative and opens up new use cases, apart from 1. the whole App Store situation where they are reckless and we can all agree on that, 2. the fact they remove support of old software (not hardware) a bit too quickly in some cases
What the hell are you talking about

damn mr lol is an apple fanboy  :panda:

ruby on rails. it's not really a trend anymore but im still stuck with it at work and it sucks. forget you dhh. bitch

i love ruby on rails!!!