Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 9537 times)

Also, Could someone check the powersupply? It's aroud 320w, and I fear that will not be enough.

Also, Bisjac's seal of approval on this would be nice (:D)

processor  65watt
non overclocked GPU 450watt
100W harddrive i would guess at most
everything else together 100 at most

(you have to have more then needed, cant have "just enough" it still acts funny)
your using a 520w there, 800w is enough but even is cutting it close i would think, Get a 1000w AND MAKE SURE IT HAS A 6-PIN CONNECTOR TO POWER

the new age video cards are hogs :\
to run two 9800gx2s alone it uses about 800 on me. i have a single rail 1500w to run my pc :( and that causes heat problems like you wouldn't believe
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:08:30 PM by Bisjac »

You gotta consider though that a Quad core is around $1,000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000340000+1302825342&Tpk=quad+core

Whoops, did you mean $270?

Look at the 3.0 Ghz one.
And forget newegg, they don't ship to Canada. :(

thank god I asked.

Found a little deal. Getting:

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103010
(Omg looks epic do want)

PS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189022
(great power lawls)

Thanks Bisjac

You gotta consider though that a Quad core is around $1,000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000340000+1302825342&Tpk=quad+core

Whoops, did you mean $270?

Look at the 3.0 Ghz one.
And forget newegg, they don't ship to Canada. :(

Still does explain the $3,000 markup

Also, I'm going to Vancouver (sp?) in several days. Yay Canada!

I live very close to canada, im in Alaska.

its not newegg but this model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Antec-True-Power-Quattro-1000W-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ180253585765QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its got dual 6pins and dual 8pins that hang to the video cards.
that is more then enough for any video card upgrading/switching you will ever need.

can even SLI 9800GX2's that require one 6 and one 8 each, very few PSU's are rdy for that, and even fewer at this awesome price
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:20:00 PM by Bisjac »

^The savings I get by buying the case makes it even cheaper then that one. Also, I kinda want to stick with Newegg (Only one place I need to call). any big advantages? I plan to only upgrade my graphics card every so often, so do I need it?

you dont need 4 connectors for video cards anytime soon
what your using now i a single 6pin.

i predict many cards during the next 2 years to be using an 8pin AND n 6pin at once, per card. as the best ones are beginning to.
i like to know i can upgrade easily. and most importantly:
you do NOT EVER want to use those adapters that turn a 6 into an 8 or whatever others. they clock down your cards

edit:
i just double checked your card, its using TWO 6-pins to power.
your power supply there has that. just know that an upgrade anytime after this, is going to need an 8pin down there WITH a 6,
or if your going to SLI two cards, two-four 6's and two 8s. at once.
most PSU's dont have all that
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:34:52 PM by Bisjac »

That video card won't work with that motherboard.

The video card is PCI Express 2.0, and the motherboard does not have a 2.0 slot.

That video card won't work with that motherboard.

The video card is PCI Express 2.0, and the motherboard does not have a 2.0 slot.

Yes it will, PCI-E and 2.0 are backwards and forwards compatible. I would know since i have a 1.0 slot and a 2.0 card.

Get a power mac and get windows XP

Allow me to point something out.

Out of bordom, I created a Mac that I attempted to be just as powerful as my computer. However, they're RAM stops at 4Gb (Mine is 8Gb), and the graphics card stops at # NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3  (Mine is 9???). Also, using the mac, I got a slightly bigger screen (two inches).

Now, how much more expansive is the mac in comparison to my computer?

$100-no
$200-no
$400?-no
$700?-no
$900?!?-Yes

It is a full $900 more to buy an apple (that is worse then my own computer)then to make my own computer.

Consider yourself pwned.

Cheapest Mac is $599.

And, uhhhh, wtf are you talking about, our "ram stops at 4gb"? Maybe in an iMac, they aren't built to be powerful...

Here's a good page: Linky
Here's the cheapest Mac (I know of): Linky2

64bit can handle up to 128m of ram or something.

but thats not for home computer use lol.

Get a power mac and get windows XP

Allow me to point something out.

Out of bordom, I created a Mac that I attempted to be just as powerful as my computer. However, they're RAM stops at 4Gb (Mine is 8Gb), and the graphics card stops at # NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3  (Mine is 9???). Also, using the mac, I got a slightly bigger screen (two inches).

Now, how much more expansive is the mac in comparison to my computer?

$100-no
$200-no
$400?-no
$700?-no
$900?!?-Yes

It is a full $900 more to buy an apple (that is worse then my own computer)then to make my own computer.

Consider yourself pwned.

Cheapest Mac is $599.

And, uhhhh, wtf are you talking about, our "ram stops at 4gb"? Maybe in an iMac, they aren't built to be powerful...

Here's a good page: Linky
Here's the cheapest Mac (I know of): Linky2

So I would want, for $600, a computer with: 1Gb of ram, No screen, No modem, no keyboard, no mouse, and 80Gb harddrive. However, for $600 at dell.com, I can get 1Gb of RAM, a 19" screen, a modem, a keyboard, a mouse, and a 170Gb harddrive.

I can see the advantage of a mac. Also, I love how they switch for the iMac (In which you say is not powerful, which it is not, and yet costs that same as a powerhouse of a computer) to the Mac pro (Which is some powerhouse [mostly in the RAM department], but costs a stuff load)

If you can find some way in which both of those points become irrelevent, I might look at a mac.

its easy to charge as much as you want for stuff, when you don't allow competitors to develop for your products.
yes the evil empire of Microsoft indeed.

competition = better prices and better quality.