Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 9538 times)

That video card won't work with that motherboard.

The video card is PCI Express 2.0, and the motherboard does not have a 2.0 slot.

Yes it will, PCI-E and 2.0 are backwards and forwards compatible. I would know since i have a 1.0 slot and a 2.0 card.

any performance loss as a result?

This is the graphics card, can't leave that to chance.

i wouldn't ever attempt to overclock with that motherboard.
but you don't need to with that card on a 19inch or less monitor

it all will clock fine

it's a 22" LCD

Any motherboard that would fair better?

Remember, I have $500 to upgrade things (would like to keep as much as I could of that, though)

whats the max resolution your going to try and game at?

im always wary of larger monitors, even on good cards people can be very surprised that they cant get good fps on all high settings.
hard to tell till its being tried out on the system.

Not sure. However, I'm not going to play Crysis on this, mostly Oblivion.

I'd like high resolution, but it's not a must. I'll just live with what I have, and if it's not good enough, that's why there's ebay.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:41:44 PM by Digmaster »

I am playing Crysis on a mix of high and medium settings on a 22" monitor with an 8800GT at about 30 FPS. My resolution is set at 1280 x 768.

I also play oblivion on my PC. All high settings. Only problem is that Oblivion can be prone to crashes, but that is a software issue, not hardware.

you guys know my comp.
i play on a 24wide 1920x1200
and on oblivion with ALL settings maxed and full screen game set at that max resolution:

-when standing high ground; looking over the vast land, just panning left and right. i get down to 45fps, thats dangerously low for what my comp usually gets on most games.
when i can pull off COD4 on maxed settings and 1920x1200 and get 220fps. 45 is scary low to see

-but if i play oblivion on my 19wide and thats at 1440x900, doing the same scene, i get an easy 170fps.

the screen size makes more difference then any settings

I am playing Crysis on a mix of high and medium settings on a 22" monitor with an 8800GT at about 30 FPS. My resolution is set at 1280 x 768.

I also play oblivion on my PC. All high settings. Only problem is that Oblivion can be prone to crashes, but that is a software issue, not hardware.

Yay!

I'll be getting this on Monday (ordering.) With any luck, it wouldn't be here till Thursday. If it comes before then, no one will pick up the box, and it might get stolen D:

Thanks for all your help guys. Reactor worker, for building the machine in the first place, and Bisjac, for fixing the power problem.

By the way, this is my case :D

Also, I'm planning on getting a second screen later. If needed, It'll be 19"

blockland looks insane good on 1920x1200 with SLI 64xS anti aliasing.
but its way easier to lol

Anything need warranty?

I'll get my screen covered, but anything else easily break?

(With shipping [$55, ouch], and tax [$113, osht], and the mosue pad[got one with USB ports in it...might get rid of that] and the keyboard [it's niiiiice], the grand total is $1,750. below budget. Yay!)

Huge bump...But hey, might as well update.

Just ordered. Got the PSU Bisjac advised, I now have a 19" screen. Vista premium 64 bit. Also, somehow I lost a stuff lost of money off my total cost (Somehow the basket got erased)

Old:

Total: 1,500
Grand total (shipping+tax): 1,750

New:

Total: 1, 350
Grand total: 1,600

Will update when I get the parts. Case and screen should arrive first (shipping from California, where I live) Everything should take a while (Tennessee, osht)

Will post pick of case+monitor on desk when they come. YAY!

My balance in my wall safe has gone from $1,000 to $100 (My parents paid for half of it, I also bought a nice keyboard [go to newegg keyboards, then click on highest rated], among other things).

happy.

Can i has old graphic card pls :D

Can i has old graphic card pls :D

i r make new computer

no old graphics card. srry.WEEEE! Chat speak!

I wish I had money to build a computer.

Remember:

Building$<Dell$<<<Apple$

If your short on money, make a computer. Never buy.