Author Topic: Thinking about entering the talent show next year (Help/Advice)  (Read 3013 times)

My school district holds a talent show(-off) every year, as do most from what I have seen, and this next year (08-09) I was thinking about entering it.

What I'd really like to do is sing AND play this song on guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4cJv6s_Yjw
"Between the Bars" by Elliot Smith

There are a few problems, though:
  • I've never sang in front of an audience before
  • I've never sang on a microphone before
  • I've never played guitar before
  • I have a bit of stage fright

Now, I think the third one of those is probably the most significant of the four.  Do you believe this song would be too difficult to learn for a beginner?  I could probably get a guitar and start practicing/learning with my friend (who's decent).  It doesn't look too difficult from this video.

This will be my third (and final!) year in high school, so I wanted to do something that is a bit different from what I normally do.  The show itself is actually after school one of the days, and from what I hear a few hundred people show up.  Last year only a very few people from my school even went (2-5), so that would ease the tension on me a little, I suppose.. Just invite the people I like.

Anyways, what do you think:  is the song a particularly difficult one for a beginner?  Any tips about the microphone?  Stage-fright?

For any stage fright issues, practicing in front of a mirror can help boost confidence a bit.

As for the guitar issue, good luck

For any stage fright issues, practicing in front of a mirror can help boost confidence a bit.

As for the guitar issue, good luck
Ahh, good idea.  Thanks :)

Honesty I'd try to find something else, when everyone has the same talent like singing or playing an instrument it gets boring. I would suggest doing something outside the box, one year someone at our school caught 100 mini-marshmallows in his mouth :D

The song has only 9 different chords, that's easy to learn even if you've never played guitar before.

You could do a running off the wall backflip :cookieMonster:

Speaking of which, Vertzer ever learn how to backflip?

Microphones aren't too bad. Just make sure you don't get too close/too far away.

If you've never played guitar before, I'd suggest finding a different talent.

The song has only 9 different chords, that's easy to learn even if you've never played guitar before.
Works out great, then!  Thanks.

Honesty I'd try to find something else, when everyone has the same talent like singing or playing an instrument it gets boring. I would suggest doing something outside the box, one year someone at our school caught 100 mini-marshmallows in his mouth :D
I just want to do something that is different for me.  I don't plan to win or anything, I just want to do this to 'prove' to myself that I can, and I want to.

If you've never played guitar before, I'd suggest finding a different talent.
It's something I've been meaning to get around to trying, even if I only ever play this one song.

Most people get nervous before they perform in front of an audience, but many people actually perform better under pressure. For me, I was shaking and jittery, but once I got up there and started playing, it was as if my adrenaline helped me through it.

(I played flawlessly the first time...  the second time I was too confident and f-ed up)

Most people get nervous before they perform in front of an audience, but many people actually perform better under pressure. For me, I was shaking and jittery, but once I got up there and started playing, it was as if my adrenaline helped me through it.

(I played flawlessly the first time...  the second time I was too confident and f-ed up)

That's exactly like me :D

I could suck at first. But you put me in the spotlight infont of many people that are watching me.

Then I become the best :D

Best of luck to you. My school does not have a talent show :( so I can give no advice

Me and my Friends are gonna do Guitar Hero. It will Be fun :D.

epic fail

epic fail
more epic fail