Author Topic: So VH is dual booting...  (Read 3401 times)

I'm gonna dual boot XP with Ubuntu, and I have two questions: Will this be rough on my RAM? and does Wine support a very good range of programs?

Your ram should be fine because you are only running one of the OS's at once, and I think Ubuntu uses less ram then XP or Vista. I don't know much about wine but its good to have a fast processor, but that depends on what kind of windows programs your running. As far as I know wine does support a lot of programs.

VH, could you tell me how to duel boot?

I'm posting from the Ubuntu demo, I wanted to try it out before I installed it.

Your ram should be fine because you are only running one of the OS's at once, and I think Ubuntu uses less ram then XP or Vista. I don't know much about wine but its good to have a fast processor, but that depends on what kind of windows programs your running. As far as I know wine does support a lot of programs.

Yeah my computer is running much more quietly than when I run XP.

VH, could you tell me how to duel boot?

Just look for a tutorial on Google, as far as I can tell Ubuntu has the option to be installed partitioned from the CD's boot menu.

With Ubuntu 8.04 you can install from inside windows and it lets you dual boot that way. What this means is that you put your Ubuntu CD into your computer while in windows and it installs so that you can dual boot. To windows, Ubuntu is just a program that takes up however much hard drive space you gave it when installing, this way you don't have to partition your hard drive. This is the lazy/super easy way. Hard drive performance is slightly decreased while booting into Ubuntu though.

Completely installed now. :D

Already tried BL with Wine, it crashes right after it authenticates.

:o

Mines fine with wine

:o

Mines fine with wine

Yeah well I have no sound either, and I've tried pretty much every solution there is. :P

I heard somewhere that Ubuntu hates Sony computers.

Sony does computers!??

VH, the reason that your computer is running more quietly on the Ubuntu Demo is that...well, your Hard drive sucks. You see, on the Demo, the hard drive is turned on, with the CD drive acting as a hard drive. Thus, I would suggest a nicer hard drive, if you care about sound. I would suggest a 500 Gig Quiet Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Drive. Depending on your current computer, this might be an upgrade. I am using this Hard drive and there is never hear any sound coming from it. Also, if your computer isn't water cooled, try getting the biggest fans possible. The bigger, the slower they have to go, resulting in noise reduction.

VH, the reason that your computer is running more quietly on the Ubuntu Demo is that...well, your Hard drive sucks. You see, on the Demo, the hard drive is turned on, with the CD drive acting as a hard drive. Thus, I would suggest a nicer hard drive, if you care about sound. I would suggest a 500 Gig Quiet Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Drive. Depending on your current computer, this might be an upgrade. I am using this Hard drive and there is never hear any sound coming from it. Also, if your computer isn't water cooled, try getting the biggest fans possible. The bigger, the slower they have to go, resulting in noise reduction.

I meant my computer doesn't sound like it's running so hard it's about to explode like it did on XP.

The sound I was talking about not having is my speakers don't play sound.

yah, sony's vaio i would prefer over dell,gateway,emachine, blah blah