Author Topic: Help! DESPERATELY need anti-air weapon tech!  (Read 2597 times)

So here's the deal:  I host air combat games with the bi-planes and primarily the minigun.  Miniguns and sniper-rifles are the most effective at shooting down planes, except by 'most effective', I mean the best that our crappy weapon selection has.  Admit it, every weapon we make is tailored for anti-infanty roles: slow, powerful, and bad accuracy (on the more balanced guns).  Granted, we don't need insta-hit weapons for soldiers, even at long range; they're slow.  But if we want to shoot down aircraft, we need bullets that travel faster than an airsoft round.  Don't believe me?  Use wrench  events to set a brick to fire scatter bullets at an angle at five rounds a second and fly past it in a plane.  The plane is going faster than the bullets.  AT LEAST the game implements relative physics so bullets shot forward from a plane WILL fly faster than the plane, but with the crappy controls (http://www.blockland.us/smf/index.php?topic=38106.0) dogfighting is not easy with slow bullets.

So, what do I need?
1. An anit-air minigun.  At the worst (easiest) we just speed up the bullets.  Something about 7 or 8 / 10ths the speed of a sniper round (Sniff's sniper weapon, for example).  At the best (hardest) we add a scatter effect (like the better assault rifles - Sniff's G36) of about 5 degrees and re-vamp the model to look more intimidating.  What's important with this weapon is it's powerful fire rate.  It makes it easy to hit a target, but doesn't do massive damage.  MAYBE double the damage rate, but maybe not.  Oh, and cut down the rev-up time by a bit.  Not completely.  An how about a better sound effect?

2. Anti-air Cannons.  Something around the size of the minigun, but a bit faster travel rate, like one more tenth of the sniper rifle speed than the minigun.  It should resemble a device that looks like it's dual-weilding Sniff's Barret rifles.  It's fire rate should be about 4 rounds per second, and it should sound powerful.  About 4-5 hits should take out a bi-plane and no rev-up time.  Should cause moderate brick damage, like Sniff's G36.  (I like his weapons, he does great work.  Thanks)

So obviously these will be rediculously powerful against soldiers, but they are not intended for that, now are they?

So how 'bout it?  Sniff? Peaceful War? Space Guy? Kaje? Anyone?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:13:08 AM by Major Construction »

I like the minigun idea somewhat. It may seem a bit overpowerd though... I'll try to make it. If it turns out balanced and what not then I will probably release it. I dunno.. I don't really like bullet weapons as they are kinda boring. Whatever.

Actually I am not going to do it right now, I have some stupid summer assignment I need to do. Maybe later.

Thanks for considering.  And it's supposed to be overpowered; It's for airplanes.  Like a tank cannon is for vehicles... etc..

Actually, most of our weapons are crappy automatic machine guns.

Mine aren't however, but I never get around to releasing the good 'uns.

It doesn't have to be overpowered to take down airplanes, by the way. You can double the damage done for vehicles without making it overpowered vs players.

It doesn't have to be overpowered to take down airplanes, by the way. You can double the damage done for vehicles without making it overpowered vs players.

Overpowered or not, it needs to travel fast.  Otherwise it will be very hard to hit with.  But that is good that we can have vehicle damage be different than person damage.  It'll probably have to be that way to keep noobs from abusing it.  Thanks for the input.

Here's an old Anti-Air Flak cannon script I made. It doesn't have a model and could use some extra balancing when it comes to player/vehicle damage, but the effects are nice.

ill make it a model  probbaly will be bad but i release when done

The minigun used in Jorgur's "Dogfight" server is quite effective as an anti-air weapon and as a "balanced" machine gun:
- Scatter effect (Hits a wide area which can usually hit a plane)
- Relatively fast rounds
- Players move slower while using it - making the weapon best effective in Air to Air or Ground to Air fire rather than player on player combat.

I made an Anti-Air Gun wrench event once (Homing Turret that fires at air vehicles only with target tracking, long range and faster bullets) but I have lost the code and can't remember who I gave it to.

TLDR
If you didn't read it then don't post in the topic...

Summary for the lazy: Major Construction wants an update to the Minigun or new weapon designed for taking down planes and air fighting.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:44:23 AM by Space Guy »

You can probably easily edit the Minigun script to make it hurt planes more and have bullets go faster.

The minigun used in Jorgur's "Dogfight" server is quite effective as an anti-air weapon and as a "balanced" machine gun:
- Scatter effect (Hits a wide area which can usually hit a plane)
- Relatively fast rounds
- Players move slower while using it - making the weapon best effective in Air to Air or Ground to Air fire rather than player on player combat.

That sounds perfect!  Where can I get one of those?! :)  He definitely shoud post it.  I didn't even think about slowing the player down.

You can probably easily edit the Minigun script to make it hurt planes more and have bullets go faster.

The only catch there is that I don't know how to do that.  I don't have much time to learn, either, or else I would.  Maybe once I get a little more free time....

Here the model it doesn't have sound but that 'aint my fault. Download

So here's the deal:  I host air combat games with the bi-planes and primarily the minigun.
whats the server called? :~`

Working on it, but Air Combat X.X  I might change it to Blazing Skies when I get it refined...  The 'X.X' is a version number.  I keep making tweaks to improve it, so I'll finalize it when I'm done.