Poll

Is the master server slower since v9 came out?

Extremly slower.
9 (34.6%)
A bit slower.
13 (50%)
Same as normal.
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll/Discussion: Master Server slow?  (Read 1633 times)

Well, since v9 came out and the forums got updated,
the forums as well as the master server seem slower to me, much slower.

Sometimes it takes up to 18 seconds to validate my blockland key, that took max. 3 seconds before the updates.

Sometimes loading the server list takes up to 20 seconds, same, only about 2-3 seconds before the updates.

Is it the same for you?
As I think that it matters here, you should post what area you live in (Region/Land)

It's Germany - Europe for me.

Extremely slower, same goes for the forums.

New York - USA - North America

I haven't noticed payed attention to any changes in the game, but the forums are definitely slower.

Ohio-United States

It is faster for me. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States.

With the coming of v9 many people are coming back and playing, this has caused a jump in activity.  This means several things that all together lead to slowness.  First the forum is being stressed allot due to lots of activity, and the already present mountain of posts.  Second is more people are asking the master server for it's info.  And lastly there are more servers up causing more prossesing that is needed to be done by it, and the more info it needs to spit out.

Also, Badspot might want more tea ;)

For me it's a fact that there are some changes to be made.

1. ) Get rid of the old posts into a completly seperate read only board.
2. ) Change of forum software to a faster one.
3. ) Use of a faster webserver software, hell, badspot, really, IIS? You can't be serious oO. , even M$ accepted that Apache is better when it comes to php.

it would also be best to dedicate/seperate some stuff    community / game

I think badspot and his tea is more important :D

Lol, Badspot can't live without his daily tea.

but really, i noticed it took double or triple the time to validate my key and find servers, it even takes me a while to JOIN a game (I have comcast so don't blame it on me)

Doral-Florida-USA

Badspot

• Administrator
It is slower.  There are more people visiting the website, posting on the forum and playing the game than ever before.  The forum really needs it's own server.  I use IIS right now because the main site is coded in ASP because that's what I know. 

Graph shows network traffic.  The spike is the v9 release.  You can see there is more traffic every day after that. 

Ouch. ITS OVER 91MBITS/s

OVER 9000!!!

Nah, it's all good here. It takes about 3-4 seconds to validate my key on average (7-8 seconds TOPS) and the same to get a server list. The forums seem slightly slower, but then again, my internet sucks :P

Virginia, USA

Edit: I like how right before V9, it spikes a little bit and there's less of a dip for night traffic. Could this be leaks about the release date of V9 stirring the crowd?  :cookieMonster:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:33:17 AM by Sirrus »

Yeah, I can understand the thing with the servers, and that you know asp the best, I could offer you some help here, my asp skills are at beginner status, but I've been programming in php since about 8 years.

One thing I'd really like to help you with is, Moving the forums and the websites to apache, I can even use a trick to make it use asp for some pages, but that should only be used for the less frequently visited domains.
The MasterServer etc. should then just run on a different port :)

Well, since v9 came out and the forums got updated,
the forums as well as the master server seem slower to me, much slower.

Sometimes it takes up to 18 seconds to validate my blockland key, that took max. 3 seconds before the updates.

Sometimes loading the server list takes up to 20 seconds, same, only about 2-3 seconds before the updates.

Is it the same for you?
As I think that it matters here, you should post what area you live in (Region/Land)

It's Germany - Europe for me.

Wrong. The server doesn't do the checking/pinging. Your own computer pings and checks for online activity of each server.

If you read the console it says
"Receiving ping from (IP address)"

Wrong. The server doesn't do the checking/pinging. Your own computer pings and checks for online activity of each server.

If you read the console it says
"Receiving ping from (IP address)"
You are the one a little wrong here.

1. Blockland checks if the master server is there.
2. Blockland requests the current list of servers (ip's etc.)
3. Blockland gets the list of servers and shows it in the list. (at this point all servers are visible, but no information about if they are reachable or not and what ping they have)
4. Blockland pings every server in the list using the blockland udp server ports.

what I mean is the time until I've reached 3. , meaning, the loading bar in the server browser. eg. loading the current list of servers.