Author Topic: Bye-bye 246MB RAM! Hello 1 GB!  (Read 2641 times)

I choose CPU over GPU.

Why? :o

If were talking about gaming, GPU is going to make the biggest difference. Obviously having a stuff CPU is going to render a powerful GPU useles...but still, GPU first

If were talking about gaming, GPU is going to make the biggest difference. Obviously having a stuff CPU is going to render a powerful GPU useles...but still, GPU first
So, you're basically saying you want graphics and not awesome physics?

So, you're basically saying you want graphics and not awesome physics?

Currently, the physics in most games are mediocre at best and generally don't put a huge amount of stress on the CPU.

Even now, the transition is being made to perform all physics calculations on the GPU which can do the job alot faster.

Investing more money in a GPU makes sense over throwing all your money into a fancy CPU. It's about balance. Getting a quad core with a high clock speed isn't going to make up for that 8600GS.

i keep seeing in places that having a video card that is to good for your processor and ram can downclock them.
i don't know if its true, it could be.

but i would assume if you meet min requirements for memory and CPU...
but have a 700 dollar graphics card, that the game will NOT run on high settings

edit:
Even now, the transition is being made to perform all physics calculations on the GPU which can do the job alot faster.

true,
the physX elements are being added to all modern video cards now. and physics arent so much processor ran anymore,
however likewise; much of the real time lighting work is being done by processor now
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:59:21 PM by Bisjac »

What about the nvidia cards that have physics :D

@Bisjac - As far as I know, the GPU will only clock itself back if it lacks sufficient power. That being said, if the CPU isn't keeping pace with the GPU, the framerate will drop anyway.

@tails - Nvidia bought out Ageax (or whatever the hell they called themselves) which were the makers of the only dedicated Physics card on the market. All GPUs from the 9 series up will be able to use Ageax physics on their GPUs when the drivers are released. Right now I could care less as only 2-3 games use them and they aren't the most amazing games anyway (GRAW2 is one of them).

lol how odd. im upgrading my ram from 1gb to 3gb on wendsday :o

I've had 4GB for a long time. You can get 4GB of DDR 2 whatever clock speed you feel like for under $100. What's the excuse to not have that much if you game?

yeah i got my 8gigs of 1200mhz corsair for 250 on newegg
ram is cheapy as hell these days lol

yeah i got my 8gigs of 1200mhz corsair for 250 on newegg
ram is cheapy as hell these days lol

Well, I realise that your rig is pretty much maxed out as it is right now so spending that much on RAM may make sense, but for those on a budget, it would be wiser to spend the money on only 4 GB of RAM and get a better motherboard or GPU.

I've had 4GB for a long time. You can get 4GB of DDR 2 whatever clock speed you feel like for under $100. What's the excuse to not have that much if you game?

haha, you can get 4gb of really good ram for like $80 now, or less. Even DDR3 is dropping drastically. Probably because its the only thing people that aren't computer literate know of and can install.

I'm not much of a graphics whore, myself. I like fast loading times, and things getting done quicker, such as opening and closing a game. I'm a multitasker, and usually have Firefox with a few tabs open, always have xfire open, random things running in the background like utorrent and privoxy, and other things like steam and trillian. A faster GPU would be fine if all I did were game, or if I closed all my programs and wanted to get the most out of my game, but I don't. :D
Also I do a lot of converting/video encoding and CPU intensive tasks. I wish I had an SSD :(
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:43:36 PM by Altiarch »

People never realize the importance of the motherboard. :(

If you have good parts but the way they communicate is stuff, your performance just went out the window. Always get a good motherboard, they usually last the longest anyway so it's a sound investment.

Also I do a lot of converting/video encoding and CPU intensive tasks. I wish I had an SSD :(
SSDs are dropping in price. A year or two and they should be a very sound alternative to HDDs. Sucks that data storage is such a huge bottleneck.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:46:48 PM by Otis Da HousKat »

haha, you can get 4gb of really good ram for like $80 now, or less. Even DDR3 is dropping drastically. Probably because its the only thing people that aren't computer literate know of and can install.
I'm not much of a graphics whore, myself. I like fast loading times, and things getting done quicker, such as opening and closing a game. I'm a multitasker, and usually have Firefox with a few tabs open, always have xfire open, random things running in the background like utorrent and privoxy, and other things like steam and trillian. A faster GPU would be fine if all I did were game, or if I closed all my programs and wanted to get the most out of my game, but I don't. :D

Ok, so for you a quad core and a Velociraptor or SDD would make sense. I think the context of this topic is gaming though.