Author Topic: [Tutorial] Making Special Effects: a complete approach  (Read 18684 times)

Is it possible to create a particle emitter that emits in an oval shape? (Not a circle, I mean with two different lengths of radius)

Is it possible to create a particle emitter that emits in an oval shape? (Not a circle, I mean with two different lengths of radius)

Not without some outside scripting no.

Even if you had an Object Emitter, like say a 1x1x15 pillar brick, it would not stretch the emitter radius sphere, only it would take any point on the object and emit a particle on that point's sphere. You could probably stretch it by using gravity coefficients in your particles but that's not really changing anything, plus it only works vertically.

I'm not sure if expanding particle and emitter datablocks requires core engine changes. It's been one of the things I've been meaning to look into especially to make it possible to incorporate functions and stuff instead of simple variables. The datablocks are pretty limited as is.

Sticky.
I shall do this one day.

He said I shall do this one day =P

DATABLOCK USAGE: Even if you "recycle" datablocks, to my past V9 knowledge the script will still load an extra datablock anyways for every extra "same" datablock that is attached to some other datablock. I doubt you will need to use all 2000+ datablocks anyways, I mean come on guys!

If you make two weapons use gunExplosion as their explosion data, it'll only take one datablock.

The only time it might take up more is if you create entirely new ones or use datablock (x : y) but that's just copying it. Is that what you mean?

If you make two weapons use gunExplosion as their explosion data, it'll only take one datablock.

The only time it might take up more is if you create entirely new ones or use datablock (x : y) but that's just copying it. Is that what you mean?

No I meant the former, I tested this sometime in V8 and it took up an extra datablock count every time the same datablock was used by different datablocks. I tested this with the concept laser emitters I made during that time, and basically since they all had their own particle datablock per laser emitter I decided to try and see what would happen if I reduced the number to a single datablock for all emitters. The result was no difference, same amount of datablocks were taken for that emitter set.

Unless I was in error (which is entirely possible) or a change was made then you're right and it probably works. I'm going to test this again and simultaneously give the useEmitterStuff and useExplosionStuff lines a thorough look-over.

Bump for awesome and useful.

Thanks Muffin, really helped :)

hehe im sticky ;)

hehe im sticky ;)

I need to correct a few things first, still testing.

Say I have a weapon emitting smoke from the muzzler after it fires, where do I set the number of smoke particles emitted?

Say I have a weapon emitting smoke from the muzzler after it fires, where do I set the number of smoke particles emitted?

You can't necessarily set a number of particles to be emitted, more or less you can set how fast it emits particles.

The emission speed can be changed in the emitter datablock via the ejectionPeriodMS line. It works on the basis of how much time there is between every particle emitted. 1000 means one particle every 1000 ms (1 particle per second), 1 means one particle every 1 ms (1 particle per 0.001 second). The minimum value you can put there is 1.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:01:17 PM by Muffinmix »

I'm going to guess and say LightHasCorona means that it has an image overlap.
Sort of like, if you check the textures in BL's base/data/textures, it has the light textures. Some are named "Corona01, Corona02, etc."

I'm going to guess and say LightHasCorona means that it has an image overlap.
Sort of like, if you check the textures in BL's base/data/textures, it has the light textures. Some are named "Corona01, Corona02, etc."

Yeah but there's no particular line that allows you to select a texture for the corona or anything. lightHasCorona is just, well, there.

Godly Tutorial. << Period